Noob question about router settings on my Home Network

Hi, I have a static IP configured on my TP Link router as well as DHCP. Somehow when I try to connect LAN on my MacBook Pro directly, it never gets recognised. Wi-Fi works flawlessly. I'm using an Amazon Basics USB-C to Ethernet adapter. What settings should I use?

Please help

So you're putting a static IP on the Mac?

You'll need an host IP in the range of the network being broadcasted (.1 & .255 are usually excluded)

You'll need a Subnet mask similar or identical to the one in the router (just make it identical)

You'll need the default gateway of the router.

Then you need to set up the DNS servers by using either the ISP provided ones, private ones on your network, or if Google's are faster set up 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

After this you need to exclude the host IP from the DHCP pool to prevent duplicate addresses on the network.

Thanks sir for replying.

My Router has been configured with a static IP provided by the ISP in the range of 172.xx.xx.x.

My router has been configured for DHCP to assign addresses as 192.168.0.xxx. Somehow this works fine on Wi-Fi but when I connect a LAN cable from my router to my MacBook, I don't get any internet. I'm using an adaptor for it.

I'm not sure what the problem is! Router model is Archer C50

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

So you're putting a static IP on the Mac?

You'll need an host IP in the range of the network being broadcasted (.1 & .255 are usually excluded)

You'll need a Subnet mask similar or identical to the one in the router (just make it identical)

You'll need the default gateway of the router.

Then you need to set up the DNS servers by using either the ISP provided ones, private ones on your network, or if Google's are faster set up 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

After this you need to exclude the host IP from the DHCP pool to prevent duplicate addresses on the network.

17 minutes ago, n00bst3r said:

Thanks sir for replying.

My Router has been configured with a static IP provided by the ISP in the range of 172.xx.xx.x.

My router has been configured for DHCP to assign addresses as 192.168.0.xxx. Somehow this works fine on Wi-Fi but when I connect a LAN cable from my router to my MacBook, I don't get any internet. I'm using an adaptor for it.

Did you test another wired device? If it works then we can blame the adapter or the MacBook itself.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you test another wired device? If it works then we can blame the adapter or the MacBook itself.

Yeah I did. Somehow I don't seem to understand what the problem is ? 

4 hours ago, n00bst3r said:

Yeah I did. Somehow I don't seem to understand what the problem is ? 

If you need an adapter to use a wired connection with the mac-book and considering how proprietary everything is with apple I'm going to chuck up the next suspect to be the adapter itself. Is it Apple branded/certified or 3rd party? Has the adapter worked in the past or is this your first time using it?

16 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you need an adapter to use a wired connection with the mac-book and considering how proprietary everything is with apple I'm going to chuck up the next suspect to be the adapter itself. Is it Apple branded/certified or 3rd party? Has the adapter worked in the past or is this your first time using it?

First time using it but it's Apple MFi certified. Brand is Amazon Basics

You didn't set up any static Ip adress on you mac once? (I never use Mac OS so don't know how to check or change that).

Do you have any devices with a Ethernet jack and the same port the adapter uses? Test the cable on that machines jack then if it works test the adapter. If it fails the adapter is at fault.

Alternatively try a different adapter. See if a difference is made. I'd chuck it up to being a missing driver but Mac in general doesn't leave you needing to install much for anything. Regardless read the adapters packaging. See if there's any driver you need to install. I know Ethernet ports on occasion need drivers when on windows before you'll even see a connection.

2 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

You didn't set up any static Ip adress on you mac once? (I never use Mac OS so don't know how to check or change that).

I asked about the static IP. I think he mentioned it irrelevantly. He said he's referring to the WAN port on the router.

I asume not, but did you maybe put in a MAC filter? The mac of your wifi nic is different than the one of your lan nic, so that would explain why it isn't picked up.

In this topic someone seems to have a similar problem and got a solution:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-not-getting-ip-address-via-dhcp.1734179/

You could look into that.

21 hours ago, n00bst3r said:

Thanks sir for replying.

You have some conflicting information here.

Your router has a static Ip of 172.xx.xx.xx.xx. This is a private IP address range so it shouldn't be your Wan side.

Then you have that same router set to hand out dhcp addresses on the 192.168.0.xxx range. 

You will need to have your dhcp pass out IP's on the 172.xxx.xxx.xxx/8 range. (Class A) (255.0.0.0 subnet mask)

That is why your machine is having issues. The IP address dhcp would assign it, isn't even on the right domain.

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

You have some conflicting information here.

Your router has a static Ip of 172.xx.xx.xx.xx. This is a private IP address range so it shouldn't be your Wan side.

Then you have that same router set to hand out dhcp addresses on the 192.168.0.xxx range. 

You will need to have your dhcp pass out IP's on the 172.xxx.xxx.xxx/8 range. (Class A) (255.0.0.0 subnet mask)

That is why your machine is having issues. The IP address dhcp would assign it, isn't even on the right domain.

I guess he is on some kind of university network where they assign 172 addresses to everyone and he wants to have his own router so he is setting up a double NAT which is completly valid.

Also we've abandoned Classfull routing for many years already so that shouldn't be the problem. He should be able to set up a NAT (which his router does automaticly i asume as the wifi is working).