MACBOOK UNIBODY WHITE ?

hello everyone,

i have the macbook unibody white late 2010, and i want to keep it as original and iconic as possible. so i need everyone's opinions on the macbook look, should i buy a coloured shell for it, or keep it white? in your opinion's which do you find more "cool" and attractive ? keep in in mind that my aim is to keep it as nice and iconic as possible.

any and all opinions would be more than appreciated.

Thank you all :)

overview_hero1_20100518.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

61Gy2b2nwwL._SL1500_.jpg

31KzepCEWtL._SX355_.jpg

Adding a case on it doesn't make it any less iconic (if the white plastic unibody ever was). Honestly it'll just make it look like any other MacBook on university campuses since everyone puts a clamshell case on theirs.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Ah god I miss my 2010 Unibody macbook... It's battery exploded more than a year ago (hence the replacement 2016 MBP I sport) ?

Anyways, I enjoyed my black case quite a bit. 

If you need it running faster, I know I upgraded mine to 8Gb of ram (I know apple says only 4... but it works), and added an SSD. Honestly for day to day productivity things it works just fine.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

3 minutes ago, JJ48_24 said:

I think it looks better white but you do you

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Adding a case on it doesn't make it any less iconic (if the white plastic unibody ever was). Honestly it'll just make it look like any other MacBook on university campuses since everyone puts a clamshell case on theirs.

my concern is that the apple logo will be hidden when the macbook is switched off, since the clum shell doesn't have a cut out and only show the apple logo when the macbook is switched on and is shining through the clum shell.... i kept looking for a clum shell with a cut out for that model but no success there isn't any available now :(   

Just now, OCD-FREAK said:

my concern is that the apple logo will be hidden when the macbook is switched off, since the clum shell doesn't have a cut out and only show the apple logo when the macbook is switched on and is shining through the clum shell.... i kept looking for a clum shell with a cut out for that model but no success there isn't any available now :(   

you can cut it out yourself with a sharp knife.

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

Damn... ultimate first world problems hahahaaa. Honestly it doesn't completely hide the apple logo. It's still very visible even when it's turned off from what I've seen walking around campus. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 minute ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Ah god I miss my 2010 Unibody macbook... It's battery exploded more than a year ago (hence the replacement 2016 MBP I sport) ?

Anyways, I enjoyed my black case quite a bit. 

If you need it running faster, I know I upgraded mine to 8Gb of ram (I know apple says only 4... but it works), and added an SSD. Honestly for day to day productivity things it works just fine.

i have 16gb of ram and 500gb of ssd running osx sierra, but the problem is that the clum shell doesn't have a cut-out, so it will hide the macbook apple logo until the macbook is switched on and the apple logo shine through the clum shell, and all i need is that the macbook stay as iconic as possible, i want any one that see it recognize it as a macbook and not any other regular laptop   

2 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

you can cut it out yourself with a sharp knife.

wow :o , i will make it loose it's value as an apple product ! any other opinions ?

4 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

wow :o , i will make it loose it's value as an apple product ! any other opinions ?

He means cut out an apple logo from the case not the MacBook itself. 

Just now, OCD-FREAK said:

I meant cut the shape out of the shell, not the macbook...

Anyways if the shell is also made by apple you could also trace the apple logo to a piece of thin white(apple logo color) plastic, then cut it out of the thin plastic and glue it to the clamshell to the excact place the logo is supposed to be. Just use a removable glue, not some plastic melting one.

3 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

I think he meant to cut the clam shell case not the macbook. 

https://www.amazon.com/mCover-Keyboard-Unibody-13-inch-released/dp/B002YPSKFQ

This case is clear and you should be able to see the Apple logo through it. That's my MBP case =P I dont care if anyone doesn't recognize it's a $3000+ macbook pro

IMG_8749.JPG

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

He means cut out an apple logo from the case not the MacBook itself. 

yeah i know... it will look bad unless one have the right machinery... but if i want to advertise it for sale, what do you think will attract more people? an original white colour or one with a plastic clum shell ?

"Clam", are you selling it? If so, if I was trying to buy it I would like to see the actual surface and make sure there are no scruff marks. You can say youre providing it with a clam shell.

1 minute ago, RyzenDoctor said:

I think he meant to cut the clam shell case not the macbook. 

https://www.amazon.com/mCover-Keyboard-Unibody-13-inch-released/dp/B002YPSKFQ

This case is clear and you should be able to see the Apple logo through it. That's my MBP case =P I dont care if anyone doesn't recognize it's a $3000+ macbook pro

IMG_8749.JPG

jesus christ !! wow! i really like it.. but you aim is different from mine, iam after making that old macbook white 2010 attractive for apple users and make it as apple iconic as possible !  

2 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

yeah i know... it will look bad unless one have the right machinery... but if i want to advertise it for sale, what do you think will attract more people? an original white colour or one with a plastic clum shell ?

I'll keep it without a case when advertising it. If the seller only puts pictures of it in the clamshell, I immediately wonder if they're trying to hide any damage. 

Just now, RyzenDoctor said:

"Clam", are you selling it? If so, if I was trying to buy it I would like to see the actual surface and make sure there are no scruff marks. You can say youre providing it with a clam shell.

well it is quite scratched if you put it under light... 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Original. If the seller only puts pictures of it in the clamshell, I immediately wonder if they're trying to hide any damage. 

Exactly. Show it off without the clam shell. SHow how clean and smooth the surface has been maintained. Then say it'll be shipped with a clam shell for protection.

P.s. I leave my laptop in my office a lot, and having a cool and understated case helps prevent it from sprouting legs and walking away

Why tho?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

Why tho?

Why what?

5 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

well it is quite scratched if you put it under light... 

Honestly if it is scratched, I'd want to know how bad. Whenever you try to sell something, be honest about it. I'm not sure how much it'll get you, but it's not going to be much.

Just now, RyzenDoctor said:

Why what?

Honestly if it is scratched, I'd want to know how bad. Whenever you try to sell something, be honest about it. I'm not sure how much it'll get you, but it's not going to be much.

Why any of this?

Why is this guy obsessed with making a 8 year old computer look "iconic"

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

Why any of this?

Yeah, why? at best it'll bring in $250 if it was mint.

6 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Yeah, why? at best it'll bring in $250 if it was mint.

250$?? The machine is equipped with 16gb of ram and 500gb of SSD running latest version of Sierra.. I expect it to get me at least 500$... And besides this i will be using it too...  untill i find a good buyer that pay the amount mentioned ... Iam so obsessed in apple machines i always try to keep them as original and iconic as possible

15 minutes ago, spwath said:

Why any of this?

You said it your self, "old" which makes me want to keep it as original as possible to keep its value as an apple product, since its not like a macbook pro with powerful specs and one won't care about if it looks apple or no, buy care about how fast and efficient for his/her work. But in my case its an old mac (still well functional for nearly anything) and my main interest is to keep it "cool" as an old mac 

3 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

250$?? The machine is equipped with 16gb of ram and 500gb of SSD running latest version of Sierra.. I expect it to get me at least 500$... And besides this i will be using it too...  untill i find a good buyer that pay the amount mentioned ... Iam so obsessed in apple machines i always try to keep them as original and iconic as possible

The SSD brand new is what? $120ish? the base Macbook is selling for $250-350 on ebay with variations in installed ram and SSDs. For people interested in original hardware, I'm sure they'd object against the upgrades. I'm not sure $500 is attainable, but you can try. The limiting factor for its usefulness is the Core2Duo processor, but for a productivity laptop I'm sure it works well.