SpaceX gets StarLink Approval for Satellite Broadband

SpaceX Gets FCC Approval to build a Broadband constellation of more than 2000 satellites.

Like everything Elon Does this will be a big game changer for worldwide internet connectivity.

Just one provider anywhere on earth. 

And the fact that 50% of these satellites have to be launched within 6 years means this is going to be up sooner rather than later. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/29/fcc-authorizes-elon-musks-spacex-to-provide-broadband-satellite-services.html

EDIT: More Links and reactions.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2018/db0329/DOC-349998A1.pdf

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/29/17178126/spacex-satellite-broadband-internet-fcc-approval-license-starlink-spectrum

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/29/fcc-approves-spacex-plan-for-4425-satellite-broadband-network/

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-spacex-fcc-broadband-20180329-story.html

So this means Elon gets to make an IPS? woo

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

It's just a pity about the ping times. Satellite is good for streaming, ok for browsing, but sucks when it comes to anything with much interaction.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 hour ago, keskparane said:

It's just a pity about the ping times. Satellite is good for streaming, ok for browsing, but sucks when it comes to anything with much interaction.

The reason why ping times for normal satellite are so long is that normal satellite internet is done out at geostationary orbit - 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above mean sea level. Starlink will be very different. Instead of the satellites "staying in one stop in the sky" (geostationary) they will all be much lower and constantly moving - 1,100 kilometers (680 mi). A particular satellite might be above the horizon for a individual place for dozens of minutes, but you'll always have multiple above the horizon, and the system is designed to hop your connection from node to node automatically (like roaming from cell tower to cell tower while doing a phone call). Because the satellites are much lower, latency will be much better than conventional satellite. The relative roundtrip time from a node, to space, back to the ground will be basically the same as going across half of the USA (680*2=1360, 2680/1360=1.97). That is a very usable latency for most things other than twitch shooters.

EDIT: The claim for this is 25-35ms roundtrip latency, vs 600ms for normal satellite internet

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

13 minutes ago, brwainer said:

The reason why ping times for normal satellite are so long is that normal satellite internet is done out at geostationary orbit - 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above mean sea level. Starlink will be very different. Instead of the satellites "staying in one stop in the sky" (geostationary) they will all be much lower and constantly moving - 1,100 kilometers (680 mi). A particular satellite might be above the horizon for a individual place for dozens of minutes, but you'll always have multiple above the horizon, and the system is designed to hop your connection from node to node automatically (like roaming from cell tower to cell tower while doing a phone call). Because the satellites are much lower, latency will be much better than conventional satellite. The relative roundtrip time from a node, to space, back to the ground will be basically the same as going across half of the USA (680*2=1360, 2680/1360=1.97). That is a very usable latency for most things other than twitch shooters.

EDIT: The claim for this is 25-35ms roundtrip latency, vs 600ms for normal satellite internet

Oh wow. That's significantly different. So then I would guess you would need a tracking dish, and the satellites would have to have crossover points?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Oh wow. That's significantly different. So then I would guess you would need a tracking dish, and the satellites would have to have crossover points?

No, it will work like you Mobile phone when moving between cells. It will require a transmitter and receiver and that's it. Think of it like a way more powerful WiFi Box.

This sounds promising. Reminds me of when parts of the US or the Caribbean lost connection to the internet and a company (can’t remember the name) sent floating access points to the area for people to connect and make phone calls to relatives.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I wonder what Elon's definition of "affordable" is?   The idea of not needing to take a satellite phone when camping sounds good.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I wonder what Elon's definition of "affordable" is?   The idea of not needing to take a satellite phone when camping sounds good.

WOuldnt it technically still be a satellite phone?

OMG this is amazing!!! Now I wonder what kind of tech they will be using in them and what hardware you will need to recieve the signals. Especially interested in mobile opportunities. Back to the days of laptops with wwan modems in them would be amazing for anyone who travels all the time.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 minute ago, Cole5 said:

WOuldnt it technically still be a satellite phone?

yes, but if it was a thing that was affordable to have all the time (unlike a satellite phone service) then it would be something that I would't have to ford out for for a few weeks a year and would have the benefits of it all year round.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I really hope it has a minimum connection of 25/25Mbps and costs less than $100 a month.

Just to make my ISP look like a bunch of f**king morons. Right now I get 10/1Mbps and it's about $100 a month. Which is ridiculous when they ran fiber through the area about 2 years ago, promised us higher speeds, but never hooked it up so it's not available.

I know they put the fiber in the ground. I saw the trucks working for months.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs