“NEW” PC WITH NO SIGN OF POWER

Nikagg

I will try to be as descriptive as possible.I built a new pc from scratch (specs listed at the end of the post) and yesterday I tried turning it on to see if all the parts were properly connected.It turned on, I left it on for 5 minutes (I haven’t bought a gpu yet,so I didn’t interact with any interfaces software anyways).Then i left it at my room overnight and booted it up today (important:I plugged it into an extension cord with three outlets and 2 devices at sleep alongside) to determine what was preventing one of my 2 fans from working (noticed that yesterday).I turn the pc on and it boots,then I open the case’s lid to see what’s the problem with the fan which turned out being a cable management strap blocking the fan (don’t judge).I close the lid and after 5-10 seconds the pc turns off and causes a power outage to the whole room.After that i haven’t been able to turn it on yet.I tried:

1.Unplugging and replugging the 24 pin connector

2.Pushing the power button for 30 secs to discharge the motherboard

3.Disconnecting and reconnecting all the pins coming from the psu

4.Plugging the psu alone to the wall to see if the fan responds but NO.Then I tried the trick with the paper clip and nada.

5.Obviously tried plugging on different outlets but not with different cables since I don’t have any others.

My verdict is that the psu is dead but it’s a brand new one and I want a 2nd opinion to determine if I am right or if I am wrong and I do not need to replace the psu.

Also if I need to replace it after all.Is it generally covered by the warranty(gonna read the specific one for mine but wanna hear from you too)?

Specs

Motherboard:Asrock A320M-HDV

Cpu:AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Box

Ssd:Kingston A400 120GB

Hdd:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB

Ram(1 Stick):Corsair Value Select 8GB DDR4-2133MHz

Case:Aerocool QS-240 Micro ATX Case

Psu:CoolerMaster Power Supply MWE Lite 450W 80 Plus Bronze, 24-pin, Active PFC, 120mm Fan, Black (MPX-4501-ACAAB)

Fan:Arctic 3-Pin fan with standard casArctic 3-Pin fan with standard case 12cm F12 12cm F12

B2984720-099B-40D4-BCBA-646B34CAA3D0.jpeg

7F649551-5F05-48FC-A3EF-E4B9E100B892.jpeg

DB9765E4-88C9-4E60-B966-1078B2F20A09.jpeg

0441BC05-A5C0-4568-A05A-0D23E9188BA3.jpeg

8B833D4A-11B9-497D-B4B7-A9AE2D08A416.jpeg

3D66697E-482F-4B33-935E-35D7BADAE8F0.jpeg

FBEF5B9F-40F3-4C2D-95AA-478B1115DFE0.jpeg

86342E5A-AACB-4E1D-82B1-67B2823A3A48.jpeg

FEF818BB-B711-42EA-B352-EA5DCFC4EAA0.jpeg

26664405-7EF9-4C99-BEA9-B2879F36D752.jpeg

If the PSU won't power on with the paper clip, it's definitely dead.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

If the PSU won't power on with the paper clip, it's definitely dead.

Thanks for your reply.Do you think it will be covered by the warranty?Just from your experience.

14 minutes ago, Nikagg said:

Thanks for your reply.Do you think it will be covered by the warranty?Just from your experience.

If it is brand new then it SHOULD be covered under warranty. If you picked it up in the last few days locally the show you purchased it from will also probably allow you to swap it out.

Chances are when you opened the case you shorted something, so it could be much more than the PSU that is damaged, but that would be the first place to start... chances are you might have shorted the motherboard though.

Looking at the your cable management (or lack of) It could be you closed a cable in the chassis. When you put in the new PSU you should really take the time to properly cable manage you case. Having bad cable management will cause air flow issues, dust issues, possible short issues, can contact and stop fans on your cpu/gpu/case, and lastly it just looks sloppy and ruins the rest of your build.

There is a reason they include cable management space behind the motherboard these days, you should take advantage of it.

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If it is brand new then it SHOULD be covered under warranty. If you picked it up in the last few days locally the show you purchased it from will also probably allow you to swap it out.

Chances are when you opened the case you shorted something, so it could be much more than the PSU that is damaged, but that would be the first place to start... chances are you might have shorted the motherboard though.

Looking at the your cable management (or lack of) It could be you closed a cable in the chassis. When you put in the new PSU you should really take the time to properly cable manage you case. Having bad cable management will cause air flow issues, dust issues, possible short issues, can contact and stop fans on your cpu/gpu/case, and lastly it just looks sloppy and ruins the rest of your build.

There is a reason they include cable management space behind the motherboard these days, you should take advantage of it.

2486C452-9EA8-4B86-9BF6-149E0519FDA7.jpeg

Just now, Nikagg said:

That’s the space my budget allows for “cable management”.

Also,if I the motherboard is damaged am I screwed or sohoukd this be covered as well.BTW thanks for your reply.

1 minute ago, Nikagg said:

What is your point? Are you trying to say it isn't usable or something? I looked up the case and by looking at the picture I can clearly see you have space for wire management.

2 minutes ago, Nikagg said:

That’s the space my budget allows for “cable management”.

Also,if I the motherboard is damaged am I screwed or sohoukd this be covered as well.BTW thanks for your reply.

Being a new motherboard you should be covered, but it all depends on how it is damaged and how apparent that damage is. A simple short is hard to notice and returning it should be a pretty easy swap.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?  Looking at your pictures, that extension cord reminds me something that I may have used in the past while stationed in Zaragoza Spain and Frankfurt Germany.  The round holes are a dead give away.  If the PSU has an input voltage selector, make sure it is set to the correct voltage.  Trying to pump 220-240 volts thru a PSU set for 110-120 voltage won't help for sure.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Being a new motherboard you should be covered, but it all depends on how it is damaged and how apparent that damage is. A simple short is hard to notice and returning it should be a pretty easy swap.

Thank you very much.I hope it’s only the psu.Ill swap it tomorrow hopefully.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?  Looking at your pictures, that extension cord reminds me something that I may have used in the past while stationed in Zaragoza Spain and Frankfurt Germany.  The round holes are a dead give away.  If the PSU has an input voltage selector, make sure it is set to the correct voltage.  Trying to pump 220-240 volts thru a PSU set for 110-120 voltage won't help for sure.

Europe,Greece we have 220-240 volts here.And is there a switch?Cant seem to find it.

Just now, Nikagg said:

Thank you very much.I hope it’s only the psu.Ill swap it tomorrow hopefully.

Please please please. Take the time to properly cable manage the case.

You spent the money and time to build your own, there is no reason to skimp on cable management... especially on a windowed case.

If you need to watch a few videos on it, but it is really in your best interest to properly manage them.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Please please please. Take the time to properly cable manage the case.

You spent the money and time to build your own, there is no reason to skimp on cable management... especially on a windowed case.

If you need to watch a few videos on it, but it is really in your best interest to properly manage them.

It just seems that the cables from the psu are too short.However I will put more time and care into it for sure.

Just now, Nikagg said:

Europe,Greece we have 220-240 volts here.And is there a switch?Cant seem to find it.

Looking at the pic again, you should be okay.  It appears to auto-select 100 to 240 volts, 50-60 Hz.  I didn't see a switch either so that points me toward the autovoltage select.  Never made it to Greece but made it just about every where else.  I wanted to get to Iraklion but no luck.  Not sure if I spelled that right.

Just now, Nikagg said:

It just seems that the cables from the psu are too short.However I will put more time and care into it for sure.

Running the cables behind the board don't reduce the length you have to work with very much in most cases. Plus you can tuck all of the extra wires into that little compartment. Then you have nice ziptie points to work with too. It will clean up the inside of your case and also get those two wires off your cpu fan (which isn't good)

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Looking at the pic again, you should be okay.  It appears to auto-select 100 to 240 volts, 50-60 Hz.  I didn't see a switch either so that points me toward the autovoltage select.  Never made it to Greece but made it just about every where else.  I wanted to get to Iraklion but no luck.  Not sure if I spelled that right.

Oh, one other thing you might want to try and figure out.  Try and find a way to set your system up with an earth ground.  Europe was/is notorious for not providing proper earth grounds in their housing and apartment facilities.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Running the cables behind the board don't reduce the length you have to work with very much in most cases. Plus you can tuck all of the extra wires into that little compartment. Then you have nice ziptie points to work with too. It will clean up the inside of your case and also get those two wires off your cpu fan (which isn't good)

Well,thank you I will definetly do it since I don’t like the wires either.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Oh, one other thing you might want to try and figure out.  Try and find a way to set your system up with an earth ground.  Europe was/is notorious for not providing proper earth grounds in their housing and apartment facilities.

Power cord has no grounding point and so most of the outlets in my house.

3 minutes ago, Nikagg said:

Power cord has no grounding point and so most of the outlets in my house.

While I first got to Zaragoza we lived on the 9th floor of a high-rise apartment building in downtown Zaragoza.  I had taken my Commodore 128 with me and I ran it off a transformer cuz the Commodore 128 was U.S. specs at 110 volts but everything was 220 out of the wall.  What I did was get a length of cheap wire from a local hardware type store and I ran that wire from one of the screws on the back of the case to the cold water pipe under the kitchen sink.  Just used a little sand paper to make sure everything was clean and made good contact.  Never had a problem with it and Zaragoza was bad about power outages and surges.  Just an idea to think about.

57 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

What do you think?

FCE31E79-3DF1-43EF-988F-0089F9252B27.jpeg

Better, you can still clean up some of those wires and if you turn your hard drive with the plugs out the back it will help too. However, it is much better than it was for sure.