BEST CPU FOR MSI GTX 1060 6GB GPU!!

4 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

the frame drops is what i am having a HUGE problem with at the moment. On my current build (1060 paired with a fx-8350) my frames will run around 90-100 (all setting very low except AA and textures at high) but as soon as I go into a town my frames plummet to sub 50, unless i don't move :(, and then at random times just running in the middle of the map with nothing around me the frames will drop to 60-70 briefly then back to 90 then back to 60-70 and so on and so on. Maybe some of that has to do with the poor optimization of PUBG itself but i know alot has to do with my current cpu i would assume. 

Ya it is definitely the CPU. Even the Extreme FX-9000 series CPUs had pretty crap IPCs and frames performance, this is why the FX line was never considered even competitive with Intel and why Intel became the Tyrant monopoly it was for about 15 years. Ryzen is the FIRST AMD CPU to even come close, and why its considered the first viable, competitive AMD chip.

So again, Ryzen 2000, otherwise your Intel i5 choices are solid :) (8600K preferred just for the OC and higher clocks to push those serious 144 frames)

EDIT: The only time I experience a frame drop on my system is not due to Ryzen but rather me always trying to push my VRAM limits lol!

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

8 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

The 1060 is unfortunately not capable of that. MAYBE if you choose the high preset and then lower a few of the settings to medium. In any case, Ryzen 1000 CPUs are currently not capable of this, even overclocked, but Ryzen 2000 MIGHT be with some mild OC. Go Intel if you want the absolute best for gaming though. Until 7nm/7nm+ Zen 2/2+/3 launches around 2020, Intel will for sure be ahead in sheer frame rates. Even in 2020, Intel will likely be ahead in sheer frames, although more likely by a tiny margin that doesn't matter, as all 7nm based CPUs should EASILY be capable of 200-300 FPS on just about any game.

As for the card, a GTX 980 or 1070 would be required for that 100+ FPS. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( but I can say that my Samsung MU6500 4K TV @60Hz is more than capable of even competitive play. You would be surprised at how smooth 60FPS is SO LONG as you can keep it ROCK STABLE with NO frame drops.

Bollocks. I run an overclocked Ryzen 1600, with a 1060 6Gb and overclocked RAM and it handles most games consistently, on high, at over 100 fps at 1440p, let alone 1080p.

I am leaning i5 8400 but if i do that i believe someone mentioned to go with a B360 or H370 board? Can i ask how those to differ from one another and how those also differ from the previous B350's? Sorry i am still pretty new to the pc world. Still trying to get my head wrapped around all of the options. I will be signing off for the night but looking forward to seeing more input from everyone. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far, much appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Bollocks. I run an overclocked Ryzen 1600, with a 1060 6Gb and overclocked RAM and it handles most games consistently, on high, at over 100 fps at 1440p, let alone 1080p.

HUH??? How, Ive pushed my 1600X to 3.975GHz on all 12 threads and cant see those frames on any settings unless its a synthetic benchmark of low quality like Sky Diver (250 FPS LOLZ!)

Oh wait a minute I always play at 1440p derp sorry my mistake. Ill have to try lower resolutions for higher frames lol

Current Build Thread:

19 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes i agree the H series boards have been spoted on shelf in taiwan they will be here soon...i5-8400 with a H370 board combo will be cheap...

Meanwhile, if you can affod this with a decent 40$ air cooler you're golden for gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($234.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($163.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $498.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-27 23:03 EDT-0400

that build would fall right at the top of my budget so it is an option :) I am currently using a NZXT Kraken for cooling. 

3 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

I am leaning i5 8400 but if i do that i believe someone mentioned to go with a B360 or H370 board? Can i ask how those to differ from one another and how those also differ from the previous B350's? Sorry i am still pretty new to the pc world. Still trying to get my head wrapped around all of the options. I will be signing off for the night but looking forward to seeing more input from everyone. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far, much appreciated! 

They are just upgrading the chipset and power delivery a TINY bit (few more small features that wont really affect anything). I would honestly suggest though, that if you want the 8400 rather than the 8600K and an overclockable Intel board, to go Ryzen 2000 instead. You will save money, the mid-grade current B350 mobos (like mine) overclock just like the higher end X370's do, and ALL current Ryzen CPUs are unlocked by DEFAULT. WAY better overall value at the price point.

Current Build Thread:

2 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

that build would fall right at the top of my budget so it is an option :) I am currently using a NZXT Kraken for cooling. 

See now that is the point where Intel becomes a more solid option - When you can get those higher clocks and unlocking

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

They are just upgrading the chipset and power delivery a TINY bit (few more small features that wont really affect anything). I would honestly suggest though, that if you want the 8400 rather than the 8600K and an overclockable Intel board, to go Ryzen 2000 instead. You will save money, the mid-grade current B350 mobos (like mine) overclock just like the higher end X370's do, and ALL current Ryzen CPUs are unlocked by DEFAULT. WAY better overall value at the price point.

Ok i will definitely look into the new Ryzen 2000 series. Thanks man

13 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

There were no B350 yet on intel (current B350 are AMD ryzen)...what is coming i believe are B360 and H370 boards...the highlight with those boards is that they are usually cheaper than z series board...the downside is that they can't overclock RAM and run faster than i believe 2400mhz RAM with the i5-8400 for example, and they can't overclock a unlocked K series CPU.

They can also feature less connectivity option, and overall build quality as you go lower into the stack.

Usually these boards cost anywhere from 65$ to about 100$ depending on what you get (nice looking board...ATX size...leds etc.)

.I found a decent board that looks neutral that is only 100$ so for memory clocks alone and options i'd rather go with this than likely any B or H series board personally.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

See now that is the point where Intel becomes a more solid option - When you can get those higher clocks and unlocking

My only concern with overclocking is that i have never done it before since I am new to pc gaming. Afraid of screwing something up :( 

11 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

HUH??? How, Ive pushed my 1600X to 3.975GHz on all 12 threads and cant see those frames on any settings unless its a synthetic benchmark of low quality like Sky Diver (250 FPS LOLZ!)

Oh wait a minute I always play at 1440p derp sorry my mistake. Ill have to try lower resolutions for higher frames lol

I play at 1440p too, on high for most games. Have you disabled HPET, EHCI/XHCI Handoff and Gear Down Mode, overclocked your RAM and set the DOCP to about 60 Ohms and the voltage to 1.35 or above? Those settings can make a big difference, especially if you also overclock your GPU.

I play at 1440p too, on high for most games. Have you disabled HPET, EHCI/XHCI Handoff and Gear Down Mode, overclocked your RAM and set the DOCP to about 60 Ohms and the voltage to 1.35 or above? Those settings can make a big difference, especially if you also overclock your GPU.

Not DOCP as I found it unnecessary, I have good XPG RAM (8GBx2) 3000MHz sticks and OC'd them very lightly to 3200MHz with manual timings CAS 16-18-18-18-38 (which is default timings but at higher speed thanks to the minimal OC, and its stable ^_^) Yea the GPU is overclocked Ive got +40mv, +140MHz Core, and +350MHz VRAM currently set in MSI Afterburner (because its the MSI Gaming Twin Frozr GTX 980). I dont want to take over this thread so my build log in my signature is the best place for info on this.

Current Build Thread:

9 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

My only concern with overclocking is that i have never done it before since I am new to pc gaming. Afraid of screwing something up :( 

Overclocking these days is very simple and very easy compared to AM3 days. There are many failsafes built into modern motherboards that will simply cause the PC to crash or power off if something is wrong, rather than damaging hardware. There are two main rules: Voltage limits and Temp limits. It is best to keep any Ryzen 1000 CPU at or below ~1.40V and at or below 80C. If you ever need help with it, there are literally thousands of people here on LTT who can help you out :)! Also, if going Ryzen, the one place you want to spend more money is RAM. Ryzen CPUs heavily depend on RAM speed and timings for optimum performance, so get yourself some good 3000+ MHz sticks if you want the most out of Ryzen 2000.

Current Build Thread:

25 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Not DOCP as I found it unnecessary, I have good XPG RAM (8GBx2) 3000MHz sticks and OC'd them very lightly to 3200MHz with manual timings CAS 16-18-18-18-38 (which is default timings but at higher speed thanks to the minimal OC, and its stable ^_^) Yea the GPU is overclocked Ive got +40mv, +140MHz Core, and +350MHz VRAM currently set in MSI Afterburner (because its the MSI Gaming Twin Frozr GTX 980). I dont want to take over this thread so my build log in my signature is the best place for info on this.

You can probably go somewhat further. You should absolutely be getting fps into, or, at the very least around the triple digits on high in most games at 1440p with that card and CPU.

You can probably go somewhat further. You should absolutely be getting fps into, or, at the very least around the triple digits on high in most games at 1440p with that card and CPU.

Yea but I was focusing on longevity and mild overclocks that are considered safe for 24/7/365 usage without lifespan degradation. Besides I did quite alot of research on Ryzen RAM overclocking and beyond 3200MHz is not only difficult for current B350 boards but also shows very diminishing returns. Its been established that 3200MHz is the "Sweet Spot" for Ryzen 1000 RAM performance

Current Build Thread:

4 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Yea but I was focusing on longevity and mild overclocks that are considered safe for 24/7/365 usage without lifespan degradation. Besides I did quite alot of research on Ryzen RAM overclocking and beyond 3200MHz is not only difficult for current B350 boards but also shows very diminishing returns. Its been established that 3200MHz is the "Sweet Spot" for Ryzen 1000 RAM performance

On the RAM specifically yes, but settings such as HPET, Gear Down Mode and XHCI Handoff being disabled can also make quite a big difference and don't affect longevity. Though the F10 BIOS for the gaming 3 tends to get a little more performance out of the CPU than later BIOS revisions for some.

7 hours ago, johnukguy said:

On the RAM specifically yes, but settings such as HPET, Gear Down Mode and XHCI Handoff being disabled can also make quite a big difference and don't affect longevity. Though the F10 BIOS for the gaming 3 tends to get a little more performance out of the CPU than later BIOS revisions for some.

Huh I will have to check out these additional settings. Thanks! I don't have the external clock gen though, Oh crap I forgot to re-enable C-States though, Ive been at max voltage this whole time LOL! I just updated my build log with pics of my BIOS settings.

So I tried the setrings. No notible improvement for me. But hey, you reminded me to re-enable C-states so thats a bonus. Tried pushing the voltage up to 1.416 and couldnt even get 4.025GHz stable so it wasnt worth it, I just went back to my settings but with AMD Cool & Quiet disabled, C-State enabled, and your suggested settings disabled. It seems to be a HAIR more responsive but CineBench scores didnt rise at all and gaming is exactly the same.

My mobo cost me $60 shipped so the fact that I can overclock at all is awesome enough for me :)

Current Build Thread:

4 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

So I tried the setrings. No notible improvement for me. But hey, you reminded me to re-enable C-states so thats a bonus. Tried pushing the voltage up to 1.416 and couldnt even get 4.025GHz stable so it wasnt worth it, I just went back to my settings but with AMD Cool & Quiet disabled, C-State enabled, and your suggested settings disabled. It seems to be a HAIR more responsive but CineBench scores didnt rise at all and gaming is exactly the same.

My mobo cost me $60 shipped so the fact that I can overclock at all is awesome enough for me :)

I hear you on that. With some 1600/x's, anything past about 3.8 Ghz requires more voltage than it's worth and Cinebench doesn't gauge performance too well. It is useful as a very rough guide and to see if a CPU is nominally stable at it's overclock but, beyond that, I would go with something like RealBench. I've tested Cinebench on multiple machines and machines with the exact same specs and it can come up with different results nearly all the time, so seems to react to variables that can't be effectively controlled. The DOCP setting can help with RAM overclock stability, as with upping RAM voltage but I'm wary of pushing anything over 1.42 v on a Gaming 3 mobo, which is what I've been using. Upping the SOC voltage to 1.1 can also make a difference if you haven't tried that but it is a balancing act with CPU voltage, temps, RAM frequency and stability, and keeping an eye on VRM temps on the motherboard.

The C state thing though that you mentioned can be counter intuitive. Old school overclockers generally were taught to disable all of that stuff - C-States, Cool n Quiet and so on but, as you did, having C states enabled does help increase the efficiency and longevity of the CPU, whilst also not impacting performance. There are P state overclocking options in the latest BIOS for the Gaming 3, but from what I've been hearing the results range from unstable, to very minor improvement, to flat out bricking some systems.

R5 2600

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

15 hours ago, johnukguy said:

I hear you on that. With some 1600/x's, anything past about 3.8 Ghz requires more voltage than it's worth and Cinebench doesn't gauge performance too well...

I never saw any improvements with SOC voltage either, it was more sort of a stabilizer for the RAM OC that I didnt end up needing, so I set it down to "Normal" in BIOS and it now shows 1.08V in HWiNFO64 but of course we know that the voltage sensors on these Gigabyte boards are near-worthless. The SOC did automatically jump upon CPU overclocking anyways (was at about 0.99 previously). I also did come across that custom P state option but figured it really isnt worth the risk. The standard states already scale with the OC decently so its just more unnecessary risk.

15 hours ago, JDE said:

R5 2600

@ThroatKrush Agreed^! The only reason I have the X-Series CPU is because it actually went for cheaper than the non-X did on eBay (I bought most of my parts used for a budget build).

The X-Series Ryzen CPUs are totally unnecessary for someone willing to overclock, as the non-X CPUs will actually hit the same max overclocking speeds. There are only two small benefits of an X-CPU with Ryzen.

1.) You do get a slightly better chance at the silicon lottery, improving your chances at overclocking slightly further at the same voltage, and 2.) It comes clocked higher out of the box, AMD basically overclocks it for you. So if you are uncomfortable with the idea of OC, it may be the better option for you.

Otherwise, just get a non-X CPU and enjoy the savings :)!

Current Build Thread:

After looking into this more and watching some more reviews, benchmarks etc, I do think I am going to go Ryzen now. Frame rates may not get quite as high as an 8400 or 8600k but they are pretty close. That and I hear the AM4 set should be around for atleast a few more years so if I do want to upgrade say to a Ryzen 3000 Series then I should be able to do that. If I go current 8000 series Intel then I won’t be able to simply upgrade my cpu. Atleast those are some of the things I have been reading about. Now the only question is can I wait another month for the new Ryzens or just go with the Ryzen 1600. I’m itching for a new build!!

7 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

After looking into this more and watching some more reviews, benchmarks etc, I do think I am going to go Ryzen now. Frame rates may not get quite as high as an 8400 or 8600k but they are pretty close. That and I hear the AM4 set should be around for atleast a few more years so if I do want to upgrade say to a Ryzen 3000 Series then I should be able to do that. If I go current 8000 series Intel then I won’t be able to simply upgrade my cpu. Atleast those are some of the things I have been reading about. Now the only question is can I wait another month for the new Ryzens or just go with the Ryzen 1600. I’m itching for a new build!!

Just wait unless you want to buy used hardware as I did, and only then if its a REALLY GOOD deal like mine was (my build log in my signature goes over what I paid for stuff). Buying a brand new set of Ryzen 1000 hardware right now just makes no sense at all. There are no delays or any other mishaps announced from AMD so Ryzen 2000 is FOR SURE coming in about 3 weeks time.

I delt with my AM3 Phenom II X4 970 build for years until I caved and got Ryzen, it was simply utter crap at gaming and I couldnt deal with it anymore. I mean CineBench R15 was giving me a score of just over 300, now Ive got a score of just over 1300, so yea, it was a MAJOR upgrade.

So unless you want to buy used, then just wait. Its literally right around the corner, its going to be pretty much the exact same price but with ~5-10% IPC and frames improvements, getting it within reach of Intel 8000 CPUs. Trust me, buying now isnt worth it. Learn from my mistakes, young Padawan! Lol

Current Build Thread:

if it’s only 3 weeks away then I guess I can wait :) 

1 hour ago, ThroatKrush said:

if it’s only 3 weeks away then I guess I can wait :) 

Ya, totally worth the wait. I went used because I plan on building a massive powerhouse of a PC come 2020 when Zen 2+/3 launches with 7nm+ based CPUs, and I just didnt want to deal with an utter POS of a machine until then lol.

I mean DDR3, PCIE 2.0, OC was limited thanks to a crap MSI-880GMS E35 board that constantly overheated its VRMs and shut down, even at STOCK speeds! It HAD to go lol.

Im probably going to be looking at Ryzen 7 4700X + 32GB RAM + Twin GPUs + Custom Water Loop + OC on all parts when it comes time. Im looking at a budget of about $5000 USD lol.

Current Build Thread:

Damn!! That will be a powerhouse!

I’m wondering what is causing my current issue of my whole pc just freezing up? Just out of nowhere it will decide to do it. Sometimes I could literally have the pc on for 5 minutes doing nothing and everything locks, I might play for an hour and it will lock up. Other times I play for 3 hours or more with no issues. It’s really random. 

What board would you recommend I go with for the Ryzen?