Uber throws in towel to Grab in SEA

abazigal

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/grab-buys-ubers-south-east-asia-business-uber-gets-275-stake-in-grab

Bit of backstory - Uber came to Singapore a couple of years back and I have been an ardent user of it ever since. It was everything our local taxi service wasn't. I could call for a ride from the comfort of my own home then slowly walk down when I saw that the car was approaching. I don't have taxi drivers asking me where I wanted to go or complaining about having to pick me up at an inconvenient location. I liked that it was quick to support many iOS features such as Apple Pay. Uber drivers tend to be more courteous than taxi drivers and more helpful.

I know of the many problems plaguing Uber, but I stayed a user because for me, Uber solved every single issue I had with taxis. Then they started getting into a price war with Grab and I guess Grab finally won out. 

Sucks that the horse I bet on for all these years lost. I was never really a fan of Grab because for some reason, I have always had an easier time hailing a ride with Uber compared to Grab but it is what it is, I guess. 

I have reinstalled the Grab app on my phone and keyed in my credit card details. 

To the victor belongs the spoils. Let's hope being the sole ride hailing service in Singapore won't make Grab complacent. 

What's my point? Nothing much, I guess. Just wanted to vent a little. :D 

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

hang on, didn't Uber just let CDG taxis into their cab pool? o_o would Uber continue running as an app or would Grabtaxi take over?

That's the thing. CDG paid a small fortune to take over Uber's existing car rental company in exchange for being allowed access to their app. Many taxi drivers complained that they actually earned less under this model and left. And now that Grab has taken over, I have no idea what the new arrangement will be as well. 

We will know soon enough. :/