Buy a new GTX card now, or wait until the new cards hit the market?

Senenter

Hi guys!

So i was wondering what you guys think. I have around 600-700€ set apart for a new graphics cards but i am not sure if i should just outright buy one now. Or wait until nVidia releases the new GTX line up. I am currently running a GTX 960 but it is not like that i really need a new card or anything.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't really need a card right now I'd hold off and wait for GTC next week to see if new cards will be announced.

777th post, do I win a jackpot now?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, raider009 said:

H

Not entirely sure if you should wait for the new lineup since we don't really know when they're coming up. But since you have an already working system, I would say it is at least in your interest to wait. What I mean by this is that the graphics card prices do seem to be plummeting (at least in Sweden) now and in the coming weeks the prices should drop even further to return to normality (hopefully).

So either way, whether you want to buy at 10-series card or whether you want to wait for the new cards, either way waiting it would for another month or so would be best tactic imo.

Right now is still a terrible time to buy a GPU, so if you don't need it, waiting is worth the gamble. The crypto craze may abate, new GPUs may arrive, or things may continue as they are now. You're unlikely to be worse off later, and there's a fair chance you'll be much better off.

29 minutes ago, raider009 said:

Hi guys!

So i was wondering what you guys think. I have around 600-700€ set apart for a new graphics cards but i am not sure if i should just outright buy one now. Or wait until nVidia releases the new GTX line up. I am currently running a GTX 960 but it is not like that i really need a new card or anything.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely wait for the GTX 2080 cards.

1 hour ago, CyberFern0 said:

Definitely wait for the GTX 2080 cards.

True, you dont want to have an 'old' card just a few weeks after buying it

1 hour ago, raider009 said:

Hi guys!

Thanks in advance!

You could also buy a gtx 980 ti for around €250 and wait for the new cards to release

1 minute ago, samoTh137 said:

True, you dont want to have an 'old' card just a few weeks after buying it

Im in the same boat.. stuck atm between an MSI 10 series or have ice and wait for MSI 20 series.. dont expect the new xx80 to be faster than the 1080ti though ;) 

Just now, Kenjo said:

Im in the same boat.. stuck atm between an MSI 10 series or have ice and wait for MSI 20 series.. dont expect the new xx80 to be faster than the 1080ti though ;) 

2080 may be the same as 1080 ti right now but i don't expect all that much from it

I'm still stuck with a gtx 970 and it just doesn't run smooth at 1440p

1 minute ago, samoTh137 said:

2080 may be the same as 1080 ti right now but i don't expect all that much from it

I'm still stuck with a gtx 970 and it just doesn't run smooth at 1440p

Just play 1080p .. you think you have issues .. try a gtx 770 ,) 

Just now, Kenjo said:

Just play 1080p .. you think you have issues .. try a gtx 770 ,) 

Well that sucks :) 

You're gonna be really happy with a new card!

Just now, samoTh137 said:

Well that sucks :) 

You're gonna be really happy with a new card!

well i will be and it will complete my system nicely ;) 

Just now, Kenjo said:

well i will be and it will complete my system nicely ;) 

what do you currently have in your system besides the gtx770?

14 minutes ago, samoTh137 said:

what do you currently have in your system besides the gtx770?

Asus B350m-a Prime
R7 1700@3.9ghz
16gb ddr4@2666mhz
samsung 860 evo 500gb m.2
Corsair Gt 180gb ssd
Intel 530 ssd 240gb

Fractal S24c AiO
Nzxt s340 case

4 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

20180320_144251.jpg

20180320_144916.jpg

Wow, great rig you got there i'm still on sandy bridge.

But maybe this is a topic for another thread.

Good luck upgrading your GPU ;) !

Well, i think i got my answer. I will most likely wait until GTC to see what nVidia has up they'r sleeve. If they anounce a release date for the new cards  i will probably wait. If not, i will probably get a 1080 next month.

4 minutes ago, raider009 said:

Well, i think i got my answer. I will most likely wait until GTC to see what nVidia has up they'r sleeve. If they anounce a release date for the new cards  i will probably wait. If not, i will probably get a 1080 next month.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61326/nvidias-next-gen-gtx-11-series-20/index.html

hold on .. salvation is coming ;)

1 minute ago, raider009 said:

In what timezone are they? Maybe i can catch the keynote :)

im in sweden so we are on the same time.. they are 9 hours behind us... just google... silicon valley time and u get the correct time there ;) 

its 10.45 in Cali Silicon tittie valley ;)

3 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

im in sweden so we are on the same time.. they are 9 hours behind us... just google... silicon valley time and u get the correct time there ;) 

its 10.45 in Cali Silicon tittie valley ;)

Seems like i might just be able to make it tomorrow, as long as i get home on time from work that is hehe.

2 minutes ago, raider009 said:

Seems like i might just be able to make it tomorrow, as long as i get home on time from work that is hehe.

The keynote is at 7 pm our time .. aka 9 am on the 27th .. so 19.00 in the evning.. im bookmarking it.. 

https://www.ustream.tv/gpu-technology-conference 

There u go ;) 

Edited by Kenjo

Just now, raider009 said:

Thanks! Judging from my schedule at work i should be able got home in time.

Great, finally finished tweaking my R7 ... 3.925ghz @ 1.362vcore... idle 22c .. full load 51-53c ... im bitten.. now i want to buy a bigger AiO .... but my case is to small ;/ 

3 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

Great, finally finished tweaking my R7 ... 3.925ghz @ 1.362vcore... idle 22c .. full load 51-53c ... im bitten.. now i want to buy a bigger AiO .... but my case is to small ;/ 

Those are some nice temps tho! Still want to go and overclock my 4770k but i never really took the time for it :')