Bulldozer to RYZEN plug and play?

WiiMAN
Go to solution Solved by Foul,
11 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

Hello!

I currently have a FX-6300 processor with an ASRock 970 EXTREME4 motherboard, both dead, and I wanted to upgrade to a RYZEN processor. Will I have to reinstall all my programs and operating system? Or can I just plug my old drive and pick up where I left?

Here’s what’s on my shopping list:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CZ1SKZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oGTTAbS01PFAT

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0123ZB990/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3GTTAbSM4P2HB

Also, I want to know if they would be suitable for some medium gaming, photo editing and light video editing. I have a GTX 950

Feel free to suggest something cheaper, that DDR4 RAM is quite expensive. I chose it red so it matches the motherboard, even though I have a white NZXT Phantom 530

Hey,

Ive also upgraded, Lastweek from my FX 8350, And I can tell you the Change is Day an Night..

You Can Just plug in your HDD or SSD, and everything well be on it, 

I went with the Ryzen 1600 appose to the X like you went for, Plenty of people say its not worth it for the X..

But Yes RAM is alot.. But Ryzen does like its ram.. And GSKILL is perfect for Ryzen, I went with the 16Gb (8x2) 2400Hz, Less power, But it gets the job done, Plus its cheaper.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gvr

For Gaming, Yes you should be fine, Depends what games though 

Hope it helps :))

EDIT::: Never Reinstalled Windows, VVVVVVVVVV Still works fine :)

Hello!

I currently have a FX-6300 processor with an ASRock 970 EXTREME4 motherboard, both dead, and I wanted to upgrade to a RYZEN processor. Will I have to reinstall all my programs and operating system? Or can I just plug my old drive and pick up where I left?

Also, I want to know if they would be suitable for some medium gaming, photo editing and light video editing. I have a GTX 950

Feel free to suggest something cheaper, that DDR4 RAM is quite expensive. I chose it red so it matches the motherboard, even though I have a white NZXT Phantom 530

windows 10 should be plug and pray (i have done this before, laptop to desktop, desktop to laptop for troubleshooting)

windows 7 isn't (laptop to laptop. bootup errors now)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I've gone from Intel Skylake (i3 6100) to AMD Ryzen (Ryzen 7 1700) and had few to no issues.

re-installing the OS would be better but as an intermediary it's fine.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

11 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

Hello!

Hey,

Ive also upgraded, Lastweek from my FX 8350, And I can tell you the Change is Day an Night..

I went with the Ryzen 1600 appose to the X like you went for, Plenty of people say its not worth it for the X..

But Yes RAM is alot.. But Ryzen does like its ram.. And GSKILL is perfect for Ryzen, I went with the 16Gb (8x2) 2400Hz, Less power, But it gets the job done, Plus its cheaper.

EDIT::: Never Reinstalled Windows, VVVVVVVVVV Still works fine :)

I would definitely suggest reinstalling the OS when you change the motherboard. It might work anyway, but it's likely that you'll encounter weird issues.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Your OS should be reinstalled every time you change motherboards.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

windows 10 should be plug and pray (i have done this before, laptop to desktop, desktop to laptop for troubleshooting)

windows 7 isn't (laptop to laptop. bootup errors now)

Already getting good news :D

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I've gone from Intel Skylake (i3 6100) to AMD Ryzen (Ryzen 7 1700) and had few to no issues.

re-installing the OS would be better but as an intermediary it's fine.

More good news, sweet! I’ll likely reinstall it later on anyways, I just don’t want to start from zero at first :)

5 minutes ago, Foul said:

Hey,

Awesome! Super helpful!

isnt the X for Overclocking by any chance? In the future I’d like to get a NZXT Kraken X62 for it.

and I’m at work ATM so I’ll watch the video when I’m ck home in 2 and a half hours :)

Also also, how do I tag people without quoting them? This super long post seems inconvenient

Do you have a computer that works now?
If so, I'd just wait for the Ryzen refresh before buying anything.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

@WiiMAN I wouldnt even say its the 1600x is "for overclocking" 

Ive Seen plenty of people get the 1600 to 4.0 / 4.1Ghz.. The 1600 is better at Performance Per $$$. 

But at the end of the Day, If you have the money for the X why not. ::))

But, I still Stand by saying the 1600, Is better then the 1600x.

@Foul Alright, I’ll look deeper into it before I’m ready to hit that Buy Now button. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QQ8187/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DvUTAbZXE6XA8

1600X

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CZ1SKZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fzUTAbEHVM2FF

i think the price difference between these two is negligible, so maybe XFR could be worth it

9 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QQ8187/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DvUTAbZXE6XA8

1600X

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CZ1SKZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fzUTAbEHVM2FF

i think the price difference between these two is negligible, so maybe XFR could be worth it

Yes, And you must watch out, Ive also fallin for this What CPU cooler are you using?
The 1600 comes with a cooler, 
while the 1600x doesnt and Most AMD FX aftermarket coolers Do NOT work with the AM4 Chipset, The chepest Avrage Cooler is about 50$. So an Extra 50$ on top of that, And Ive managed to overclock my 1600 to 4.1Ghz At 1.35volts, So the Same as what you can get with 1600x...

Plus your GPU is not going to show any kind of improvements gaming wise.. Only slight Min FPS changes.

But again, Its your money, The only difference is the Stock CPU speeds.  

4 hours ago, Foul said:

Yes, And you must watch out, Ive also fallin for this What CPU cooler are you using?
The 1600 comes with a cooler, 
while the 1600x doesnt and Most AMD FX aftermarket coolers Do NOT work with the AM4 Chipset, The chepest Avrage Cooler is about 50$. So an Extra 50$ on top of that, And Ive managed to overclock my 1600 to 4.1Ghz At 1.35volts, So the Same as what you can get with 1600x...

Plus your GPU is not going to show any kind of improvements gaming wise.. Only slight Min FPS changes.

But again, Its your money, The only difference is the Stock CPU speeds.  

Oh wow that fine print! No, I don’t have a compatible cooler with me :( 1600 it is then

I think my cart looks good! Any recommendations?

I noticed the 3000 MHz was just a tad higher so I’m going with that

8D2FC52B-E4F5-4DD1-84C2-31D1EC2CB749.jpeg

3 hours ago, WiiMAN said:

I think my cart looks good! Any recommendations?

I noticed the 3000 MHz was just a tad higher so I’m going with that

Im not in tune with what that Board is like, But it is B350 so it is overclockable, There is cheaper routes you can take, like the board  I have, But its up to you, 8gb is descent, Had it with my old PC, Now im at 16gb Od ddr4 with 2400, low yes, But not needed. But 16 is becoming stranded for PCs now, But I think yous should be fine. And youre gonan wanna upgrade the Cooler some time, But so far mines doing perfect.

With 25c Idle

and 40ish under load.

Any other questions let me know 

3 hours ago, WiiMAN said:

isnt the X for Overclocking by any chance? In the future I’d like to get a NZXT Kraken X62 for it.

AMD fortunately doesn't restrict overclocking capabilities by SKU.

Ryzen CPUs with an X indicates they have a higher XFR range (basically equivalent to Intel's Turbo Boost) and there is a level of binning involved. So it's presumed the silicon in a 1800X is better than the silicon in a 1700X and a 1700Xs silicon is a bit better than a 1700s silicon.

Similar story for the rest of the line...

Boards however is what determines what...

So if you have a B350 board, overclocking isn't going to be the predominant feature that the board manufacturer is going to really focus on with that board...

But the BIOSes are effectively the same from say an Asus B350 board and X370 board minus some options and stuff of the sort.

Though, you can expect the X370 board to have better power delivery and better overclocking support. But for basic overclocking a higher end B350 board can do the job.

I hear MSI boards kinda suck for AM4 right now, but they might be considered crappy across the board but AM4 MSI boards maybe even more so.

I have a Asus B350 TUF, it's a higher end B350 board. But say a X370 Crosshair VI Hero will overclock way better but that's partially because it's double the price of my TUF board and then some, and so you're paying for better quality. But I also think you're kinda paying for Asus's ROG brand too.

6 minutes ago, Foul said:

Im not in tune with what that Board is like, But it is B350 so it is overclockable, There is cheaper routes you can take, like the board  I have, But its up to you, 8gb is descent, Had it with my old PC, Now im at 16gb Od ddr4 with 2400, low yes, But not needed. But 16 is becoming stranded for PCs now, But I think yous should be fine. And youre gonan wanna upgrade the Cooler some time, But so far mines doing perfect.

With 25c Idle

and 40ish under load.

Any other questions let me know 

I’ll be good for now. Thanks a ton, you’ve been incredibly helpful :)

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

AMD fortunately doesn't restrict overclocking capabilities by SKU.

Ryzen CPUs with an X indicates they have a higher XFR range (basically equivalent to Intel's Turbo Boost) and there is a level of binning involved. So it's presumed the silicon in a 1800X is better than the silicon in a 1700X and a 1700Xs silicon is a bit better than a 1700s silicon.

Similar story for the rest of the line...

Boards however is what determines what...

So if you have a B350 board, overclocking isn't going to be the predominant feature that the board manufacturer is going to really focus on with that board...

But the BIOSes are effectively the same from say an Asus B350 board and X370 board minus some options and stuff of the sort.

Though, you can expect the X370 board to have better power delivery and better overclocking support. But for basic overclocking a higher end B350 board can do the job.

I hear MSI boards kinda suck for AM4 right now, but they might be considered crappy across the board but AM4 MSI boards maybe even more so.

I have a Asus B350 TUF, it's a higher end B350 board. But say a X370 Crosshair VI Hero will overclock way better but that's partially because it's double the price of my TUF board and then some, and so you're paying for better quality. But I also think you're kinda paying for Asus's ROG brand too.

Thanks for the details! Overclocking isn’t really my main goal, just looking for at least a little future proofing 

4 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

I’ll be good for now. Thanks a ton, you’ve been incredibly helpful :)

Thanks for the details! Overclocking isn’t really my main goal, just looking for at least a little future proofing 

Similar to what I did with my build. I would've likely gone with a R5 1600 or 1600X as Micro-Center had a decent deal at the time on them, but I saw that they were running an even better sale on the Ryzen 7 1700's so it was kinda hard to say no. Got my 1700 back on December 22nd of last year for $236 after tax. I'd say that's a pretty damn good deal.

Using it in a B350 board and I haven't played with overclocking too much. I'm just using a Cryorig H7, but honestly I would've been fine with the stock cooling AMD uses, man it's so impressive, can even get a little overclock out of the stock cooler they include. I honestly feel a little bad for buying my H7 lol

At the time I thought I was going to get a 1600X which doesn't have a cooler...

But yeah Ryzen CPUs are a little "future proof" as in they should have a pretty decent service life.