Building a ghetto rig for a friend

Mr.Foxxy
Go to solution Solved by StormtrooperStu,

i3 3240 has Hyperthreading. Simple

Hey guys and gals,

I'm building a small rig for a friend I have everything else panned out but am undecided on a CPU.

I have a LGA 1155 motherboard and am looking for a cpu that is both value orientated and good on performance. I've looked at these two processors:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_1184&products_id=21351

- http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_1184&products_id=25181

My friend plays games like Minecraft and Killing floor and does medium to light school work ( also I have a spare GT 630 4GB graphics card so that will go into it ).

I would like to know which is better for this rig and/or if there is a better cpu for it. Oh! and it would be useful if it was in Australia but shipping to Australia is also acceptable.

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

LOL A GT630 4GB, I would go for the i3.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Really a Celeron G1610 is enough for that.

the next step will be an i5 3350P/3330.

Yeah it really isn't my most valued possession I think it would be wiser to go for the intel graghics......

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

I didn't see that :P thanks all I saw some other good suggestions but right now even this i3 is good enough

i haz one of those. i thought more = better

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

i haz one of those. i thought more = better

I was young (still am) and stupid (still am) but it made way for my gigabyte 660.

I was young (still am) and stupid (still am) but it made way for my gigabyte 660.

i got a 7870xt, best purchase ever. except my 3570k, it goes 4 ghz at 1 volt.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the i3s lack hyperthreading if you want that you need a i5 I would still go for the i3 though

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the i3s lack hyperthreading if you want that you need a i5 I would still go for the i3 though

It is a dual core running four threads.

Nothing to see here - move along.

It is a dual core running four threads.

okay just don't have much experience with i3s that's just what I heard.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Regardless as to the hyper threading of the i3 it's probably a better option than the pentium cpu's available for this sockets. Again I myself am no expert but even if it doesn't work out for my friend I will be able find a use for it.