External Drive for Xbox One not being recognized

Go to solution Solved by benwubbleyou,
26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah looking at your SMART data, the drive health looks totally fine. No read-error rate. No reallocated sectors. No uncorrectable sectors.

There are 3 Write Errors, but that's not necessarily conclusive of anything.

I'd go ahead with the Format, and see how it goes.

Looks like formatting it made it recognized by the Xbox again. Shame I gotta re-download almost everything. I decided to call the drive "Bad Bitch" because... well.

Thanks for your help you guys.

So I have an Xbox One console and I have an external WD 2TB Drive to store games on it, but it seems the drive is no longer being recognized/initialized anymore. It's an old drive(5-6 years old now), but when I ran diagnostics on the drive on my PC it said everything was fine.

Any ideas as to why it is not working? I have combed through the support docs on Microsoft's site but am coming up empty.

48 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

So I have an Xbox One console and I have an external WD 2TB Drive to store games on it, but it seems the drive is no longer being recognized/initialized anymore. It's an old drive(5-6 years old now), but when I ran diagnostics on the drive on my PC it said everything was fine.

Any ideas as to why it is not working? I have combed through the support docs on Microsoft's site but am coming up empty.

It could be the enclosure itself.

If you have another enclosure, pop the drive in there and try it again on the XBOX.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, benwubbleyou said:

For a external Harddrive for Xbox One. It first must be a USB 3.0, try switch cables could just be a bad cable. If you can do a clean wipe on your PC. I suggest using Mini-Tool for this. It also has other tools to look through the drive to see if there any issues or errors.

Also try: SystemSettings > SystemStorage.

then: Format for games & apps

the file system might be getting in the way.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

16 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

For a external Harddrive for Xbox One. It first must be a USB 3.0, try switch cables could just be a bad cable. If you can do a clean wipe on your PC. I suggest using Mini-Tool for this. It also has other tools to look through the drive to see if there any issues or errors.

Also try: SystemSettings > SystemStorage.

then: Format for games & apps

the file system might be getting in the way.

We should make sure the OP clarifies whether the drive was already working on the XBOX. @benwubbleyou if you format the drive, any data will be lost (save games, videos, etc). Any games can be re-downloaded or re-installed.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

We should make sure the OP clarifies whether the drive was already working on the XBOX. @benwubbleyou if you format the drive, any data will be lost (save games, videos, etc). Any games can be re-downloaded or re-installed.

The drive was already working on the xbox. 

30 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

Indeed - so, there are 3 possible problems, assuming we can trust the Drive test that you performed saying the actual HDD is fine:

1. File system problem (The file system on the HDD became corrupted) - fix? Reformat the drive under XBOX settings

2. Enclosure problem (The control board (SATA to USB controller) has died or is malfunctioning) - fix? buy a new HDD enclosure

3. USB cable problem (the USB cable has gone bad) - fix? replace USB cable

If you have another USB cable, try that first (easiest solution first). If you don't have important data on the HDD, try formatting it under XBOX Settings - if that doesn't work, you'll likely need to buy a new USB Enclosure.

30 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

I would try a different USB 3.0 cable first to see that helps. Also did you try any other USB port on the Xbox One? I know my xbox 360 didn't like one of my USB thumb drives, It turns out it wasn't getting a good connection.

35 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Saves get uploaded to the cloud and can be downloaded/moved. Usually people have external drive just for the game data.

Since the drive worked on the PC, there should be no issue with the xbox one.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I would try a different USB 3.0 cable first to see that helps. Also did you try any other USB port on the Xbox One? I know my xbox 360 didn't like one of my USB thumb drives, It turns out it wasn't getting a good connection.

Saves get uploaded to the cloud and can be downloaded/moved. Usually people have external drive just for the game data.

Since the drive worked on the PC, there should be no issue with the xbox one.

Which is why I am confused. I have tried each USB port. I'm going to do a full scan of the drive this evening. I tried using a different cable to no avail. I also tried using an external USB 3.0 dock as the connection point and that did not work either. I don't think it's an enclosure problem as like I said earlier, the drive pops up fine on my PC. I did a basic scan of the drive and it said everything was functional. I have a feeling it's related to a bad sector or something. Still confusing though. 

13 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

Which is why I am confused. I have tried each USB port. I'm going to do a full scan of the drive this evening. I tried using a different cable to no avail. I also tried using an external USB 3.0 dock as the connection point and that did not work either. I don't think it's an enclosure problem as like I said earlier, the drive pops up fine on my PC. I did a basic scan of the drive and it said everything was functional. I have a feeling it's related to a bad sector or something. Still confusing though. 

Pull full SMART stats (Use CrystalDiskInfo, if you don't have a preferred piece of software)

Take a screenshot of the SMART data, and post it here (Make sure to black out any sensitive info - perhaps the SN if you care - just make sure nothing personal is captured by the screenshot by accident).

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Pull full SMART stats (Use CrystalDiskInfo, if you don't have a preferred piece of software)

Take a screenshot of the SMART data, and post it here (Make sure to black out any sensitive info - perhaps the SN if you care - just make sure nothing personal is captured by the screenshot by accident).

Capture.PNG.8e267a2889ae2ffd9993eed499de77ac.PNG

I ran a full sector scan on the drive and it showed no issues. I'm gonna format it this afternoon and see if that does anything. Still won't be recognized by the Xbox.

8 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

I ran a full sector scan on the drive and it showed no issues. I'm gonna format it this afternoon and see if that does anything. Still won't be recognized by the Xbox.

Yeah looking at your SMART data, the drive health looks totally fine. No read-error rate. No reallocated sectors. No uncorrectable sectors.

26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Looks like formatting it made it recognized by the Xbox again. Shame I gotta re-download almost everything. I decided to call the drive "Bad Bitch" because... well.

1 minute ago, benwubbleyou said:

Excellent! Likely the formatting on the drive got corrupted. Hope you have fast internet ;)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Excellent! Likely the formatting on the drive got corrupted. Hope you have fast internet ;)

I definitely do not :/