Floatplane App for iOS and Android (Progressive Web App)

Hello Floatplaners,

I got very frustrated lately always having to open https://floatplane.com in a browser. So I thought I would do something about that. 

I made a pretty simple progressive web app for iOS and Android. The source code is here.

How to install:

1. Go to https://creativeguy2013.github.io/FloatplaneApp/index.html

• iOS (Safari only)
    • Click the share button
    • Click on add to home screen
    • Click on add
  • Android (Chrome only)
    • Click the three dots in the upper right corner
    • Click on add to home screen
    • Click on add

3. Open the app and enjoy

Do I need to be subscribed to Floatplane to use this app?

Yes definitely. The app is just a wrapper for https://floatplane.com. This means that the content of the actual website is never touched, only wrapped so PWA can use it.

I am not responsible for the content of the site as this is just https://floatplane.com. I added a Google Analytics tag to the site to see how many people use the page. I will share the data if there is anything interesting to see.

I hope this helps some of you just as much as it has helped me. If you have any comments or suggestions please respond to this topic.

I tried it, and yes, it works (on iOS), but is this really necessary? It's just opening a website. Why not just take two extra seconds to open your web browser of choice and go to Floatplane? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

It shouldn't open a website in Safari, it should open it standalone without the safari UI elements. Could you send me a screenshot?

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I tried it, and yes, it works (on iOS), but is this really necessary? It's just opening a website. Why not just take two extra seconds to open your web browser of choice and go to Floatplane? 

Well on Android you can just make a shortcut on a homescreen, that takes you to the website when clicked, but as far as i know on IOS you cant do that, you have to go to homescreen, open browser, type the adress and then go, and it is 2 steps longer. But yes on android the app is pointless.

1 minute ago, CreativeGuy2013 said:

It shouldn't open a website in Safari, it should open it standalone without the safari UI elements. Could you send me a screenshot?

It is standalone, but I don't know exactly what the point of it is. I'll probably use it, but I'm still a bit confused. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

A floatplane app is already in progress.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

It is???

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

Just now, BlueCrazii said:

It is???

Yes. By Floatplane Media itself.

The geek himself.

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

It is standalone, but I don't know exactly what the point of it is. I'll probably use it, but I'm still a bit confused. 

Its meant to not clog up your chrome tabs. I can lock this app in the app drawer (android) and then switch to it quickly. On chrome, I have to scroll thru tabs or type in the URL again.

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

Well on Android you can just make a shortcut on a homescreen, that takes you to the website when clicked, but as far as i know on IOS you cant do that, you have to go to homescreen, open browser, type the adress and then go, and it is 2 steps longer. But yes on android the app is pointless.

It's possible. And it is stand alone. That is the point. Try that with https://floatplane.com. It doesn't work there.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

It's not meant to replace a Floatplane app. Its just here to bridge the time until that is actually here. And judging by how long the site took, that might take a while :P

is it possible to create something like this for this forum? having it seperated from chrome would be pretty useful.

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

is it possible to create something like this for this forum? having it seperated from chrome would be pretty useful.

Yes you do excactly what the op did and just create a wrapper around the website, but it in a app and boom done

Just now, Some Random Member said:

Yes you do excactly what the op did and just create a wrapper around the website, but it in a app and boom done

You can clone my repo and change the URL on line 53 of index.html and remove line 4-12 from the same file. And if you want the logos and names to be correct, change the manifest and title of the page + the favicons.

3 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

Do you have source for that comment? I know its on the list but they are still focusing getting actual site ready before shifting more towards app.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Do you have source for that comment? I know its on the list but they are still focusing getting actual site ready before shifting more towards app.

banana.PNG

The geek himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it, but it says that my browser doesn’t support cookies. So I can’t login

• 1 month later...

IOS can add webpage shortcuts to the desktop. So this literally looks like a waste for IOS users.

5B90DFB5-1F76-4D6F-B7BF-EE56FFACB2D8.jpeg

FBCE6F7A-EF91-4DC0-BDCC-D848A361262F.jpeg

61AEB0C1-4769-4F3D-9D4D-1F16063216A7.jpeg

Okay, third post in a row: Doesn’t let me sign in.  Giving up on this.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:59 PM, Being Delirious said:

It's not really being worked on but one will be built. Yes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 3/23/2018 at 2:58 PM, Dell780 said:

PWAs are basically web apps which function more like regular apps. E.g. they can have notifications etc.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's not really being worked on but one will be built. Yes.

Please don't bring this thread back to life @wkdpaul

The geek himself.