How to leave HDD "on" all the time after installing an ssd.

JoshieBobba

I have the OS and desktop installed an SSD so whenever I try to open a file that I have stored on my HDD it takes 4-5 seconds to boot up. It does get quite annoying after a while especially after the 10th file. Is there a way to have it running all the time.  

Go to "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings" --> "Change advanced power settings"
Then "Hard disk", and finally "Turn off hard disk after".

@JoshieBobba

Edited by niksuto

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

That's just how your HDD is compared to an SSD. You may simply have not noticed it previously. Keeping your HDD spinning and tracking at all times wouldn't do much to improve load times, but would significantly reduce the life expectancy of the drive. Reason being is that it has to spin and move the read heads to access each file anyway, and even if it's constantly searching it still doesn't have any way of predicting what you want to load next.

That said, there are alternatives. If you don't mind sacrificing some SSD space, you can significantly improve the overall performance of your HDD by using the SSD as a cache for your most commonly accessed data. The drawback here is that the cache is limited, and you'll only see improvements on the files you use most often. Rarely accessed or new files won't see much of a performance boost until they've been accessed a few times.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

• 4 weeks later...

Go to "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings" --> "Change advanced power settings"

Then "Hard disk", and finally "Turn off hard disk after".

@JoshieBobba

Latest Reply NA

Thanks!