Question About my Upgrade.. (RAM)

Go to solution Solved by ATFink,

If you're trying to save money go with dual channel in a 2x4 GB configuration and try to obtain higher frequency RAM within your budget. Ryzen hates single channel and will run slowly in games if you only install one stick. Get a package with at least 2 sticks.

Hey, 

So i'm upgrading my current (First PC Build)

IN CANADIAN DOLLARS 

To a.

CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz 

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 Socket AM4 AMD B350 Chipset  Dual Channel 2667, PCI-E 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, M.2  GLAN, USB 3.0, DVI, HDMI, ATX Motherboard

And here is where my question comes in...

Upgrading from the Old FX CPUS, I know you need DDR4 but there has been a big Debate on how much you need, and how much MHz you need for Ryzen chips, ( Sorry im not good with this stuff)

Ive picked out 

Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1 x 8G) DDR4 2400 Desktop Memory DIMM (288-Pin) RAM HX424C15FB2/8

LINK: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104679&cm_re=DDR4-_-20-104-679-_-Product

For the soul purpus of it being a "name brand" and the cheapest one I could find, This might be a horrible Idea, but ive far surpassed my budget on what im Upgrading too,

Just looking for a second option. 

Also, Should I buy two 4GB sticks, Or one 8GB stick, I would upgrade to 16, But RAM is quite Costly, So if you have a place, That I could get a better price on something let me know!
(Dont want to buy Used, And it would have to be a Canadian Website)

Amazon.ca has some 2x4GB 3000MHz RAM for $80 but it's out of stock right now, not sure if you want to wait or get something now

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0151PXW9E/?tag=pcp0f-20

You should generally be able to OC the RAM beyond the rated speed but the benefit of higher rated speed RAM is that it has an OC profile (in the form of an XMP profile) already on there that will usually work right away without a lot of messing around.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It is always better to use 2 RAM-sticks, that way you get more performance because of the Dual Channel. But if you only have 2 ramslots it becomes more expensive to upgrade. When your motherboard has 4 Ramslots anyway just take 2 ram-sticks and you have enough room to upgrade.

The RAM you picked is perfectly fine if you want to safe money but ryzen profits very well from higher ram speeds. if you can get that for cheap go for the higher speed

If you're trying to save money go with dual channel in a 2x4 GB configuration and try to obtain higher frequency RAM within your budget. Ryzen hates single channel and will run slowly in games if you only install one stick. Get a package with at least 2 sticks.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX