Huawei P20 Lite released - Dual cameras and a notch for 370 euros

Djole123
20 hours ago, dizmo said:

Their SoC's aren't that great (P20 devices are significantly behind SD845 devices)

Kirin chips are just fine. They do all you want without issues.

20 hours ago, dizmo said:

, and if they don't specify UFS storage, you might not get it; even on flagship devices. They just throw in whatever's handy. Which, to me, is completely unacceptable.

If you get one with UFS, sure. With the Huawei P9 some people were getting eMCC memory, which is significantly slower. Huawei's reasoning: We didn't specify memory type on the spec sheet.

Reviewers, of course, got cherry picked units.

Here, why don't you go bash Samsung too for it? https://androidcommunity.com/some-samsung-galaxy-s8-have-slower-storage-than-others-20170508/

It seems they do exactly the same. Shame on you Samsung! You are number 1 yet are selling overpriced crap to people.

21 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Their SoC business is on a different schedule. So Qualcomm managed to implement A75 cores versus Huawei still toying with A73. If you talk GPU, then sure. Adreno is the undisputed king.  

Last year CPU performance was mostly the same. But either way it's irrelevant because it doesn't ship with a flagship SoC. What you can accuse Huawei of is refreshing the same mid tier chip for like 2 or 3 years straight. It's the same chip as last year with a minor speed bump from what I can tell.

The storage thing is true though. It does seem to be a bigger problem in China and other parts of Asia than in Europe.

But this is irrelevant for this model too. I'm quite sure it's eMMC across the board.

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't change the fact that they're holding on to chips for too long. Up the release schedule, and catch up with the rest.

This doesn't, but the P20/Pro releasing shortly does.

Really? Gross. Yet another reason I wouldn't consider this product. I'm not paying that much for a phone with eMMC memory. It should be UFS at that price point.

21 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Damn I didn't know that... that really sucks.

If only they used UFS all the time... their NAND performance is really REALLY good...

Yeah, I agree. Their attitude to the whole matter is what really bothered me.

21 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

That isn't quite true. You don't want a notch that is smaller than a line of display text (for design integration reasons), so they make it exactly that height, even if the bezel could be even smaller. The notch is approximately 12mm tall. (I say approximately because no one seems to have cared to properly measure in anything other than pixels, and I'm giving myself a +/- 2 mm cushion here. plus the overall screen bezel needs to still be added). The S9-series phones for example have a top bezel that is approximately 7mm thick to the edge of the frame. Obviously an extreme example, but if you look at the other notched phones this year, I honestly ask myself, why the fuck is the thickness from the top of the phone increasing now? It is just to have a "sufficiently pronounced" notch? Because that does seem counter to the real goal of the people pushing edge to edge displays.

Like look at that crap... 

LEAGOO S9

Obvious semi-extreme example, but still.

Now... in theory they could make a notch that is exactly the required height (and width) and gain the best of both (although, I don't actually think it's worth the other compromises that occur in software/hardware. That is a separate debate.), but I don't think they will do that anytime soon (again because it's all about the design language.)

That doesn't change the fact that what I said is true. Yes, the information that's on the top line of a regular phone is moved to either side of the notch. I'm not entirely sure what you were trying to get at with all that. Again, not all notches are the same. Look at the Essential Phone. It's tiny.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Notch> curved edges

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 3/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, The Viking said:

I feel you don't know that...

Hide contents

Honor is owned by Huawei....

Lol at you, I own an Honor xD

That's why I said wait for the new Honor, Huawei usually sells phones under the Huawei brand at a markup because of the marketing. I have several friends who have the Huawei P10 Lite who didn't even know the Honor 8 Lite existed, even tho it's basically the same phone.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

51 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Lol at you, I own an Honor xD

the way you were talking felt you didn't know both brands are related ;)

it's true though that you can get the mate 10 for 200 euro less.... honor view 10. Then again, I am fine paying a bit more and getting the "Huawei" branded model, as I prefer that.

can we stop with the Iphone X clones android manufactureres? these all look like shit tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 3/21/2018 at 8:06 AM, Djole123 said:

370 euros is by no means budget tho

it is for me ;) 

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

can we stop with the Iphone X clones android manufactureres? these all look like shit tbh

It’s only gonna get worse! Android P is natively supporting notches. I just think that it’s so dumb to have a wide notch like the iPhone X. Just “extend” the notch slightly on both sides so that you effectively make it disappear. I don’t think that most people will miss the lost screen real estate.