4690K viability

I recently got my hands on a ryzen 1700 while I have a 4690k. Should I keep my 4690k that has really good single threaded performance (193 on cinebench) and use my ryzen (155 single threaded) at the same time? Or would it not even affect me at all as the only workload that I think I would care about for single threaded is some games that I occasionally play.

edit: sorry for missing details, I am running both at the same time, my workloads is usually mostly school assignments/etc im too casual to be streaming (and lets face it, no one will want to watch me anyways). I wanted ryzen since it seems a lot more future proof. my only concern is if I would feel the jump in single threaded score.

4 minutes ago, XIdentity said:

Should I keep my 4690k that has really good single threaded performance (193 on cinebench) and use my ryzen (155 single threaded) at the same time?

Well you cannot run both of these at the same time.

Unless you meant run two separate systems , in which case I have no clue what your usage case is and whether or not you need two machines only you can answer that.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well you cannot run both of these at the same time.

Unless you meant run two separate systems , in which case I have no clue what your usage case is and whether or not you need two machines only you can answer that.

Exactly. it would be useful for a second rig to stream off of, but I don't see why you would buy a 1700 if you are primarily gaming. If you are doing video editing/ rendering however, I think the answer is clear.

1 hour ago, XIdentity said:

my only concern is if I would feel the jump in single threaded score.

What GPU do you have? single threaded is starting to phase out as multithreaded is becoming commonplace. If you are using high end GPU at 1080p you might notice it a tiny bit, but higher res or worse GPU and the difference is unoticable. You can check this by seeing what component is being pinned in the games you play.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

What GPU do you have? single threaded is starting to phase out as multithreaded is becoming commonplace. If you are using high end GPU at 1080p you might notice it a tiny bit, but higher res or worse GPU and the difference is unoticable. You can check this by seeing what component is being pinned in the games you play.

He also has to factor in refresh rate. fps means nothing if he only has a 60Hz monitor

1 minute ago, J400 said:

He also has to factor in refresh rate. fps means nothing if he only has a 60Hz monitor

it means a tiny bit, but not really in most cases. in competetive games like cs:go yes, but not like in Tomb Raider. If i only had a 60 hz monitor and i did 150 fps in a game i would lock it to 120 in the config files if possible to get it to be as smooth as possible.

I swapped from a 4770k at 4.7ghz to a 4ghz 1700 and gaming was within margin of error with 2 1070's 

ryzen did feel smoother tho 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

5 hours ago, XIdentity said:

I recently got my hands on a ryzen 1700 while I have a 4690k. Should I keep my 4690k that has really good single threaded performance (193 on cinebench) and use my ryzen (155 single threaded) at the same time? Or would it not even affect me at all as the only workload that I think I would care about for single threaded is some games that I occasionally play.

edit: sorry for missing details, I am running both at the same time, my workloads is usually mostly school assignments/etc im too casual to be streaming (and lets face it, no one will want to watch me anyways). I wanted ryzen since it seems a lot more future proof. my only concern is if I would feel the jump in single threaded score.

Well unless you're keeping the system it was in, there's no point in keeping it..

but I will say this.. the 4690k is a fantastic processor. 

It overclocks really well, has good temps, and handles modern stuff with ease.

8 hours ago, XIdentity said:

Keep the ryzen 1700 hands down. If it was a 4770k/4790k I would say you could go either way but the R1700 is way better for multi-threaded work/game load than an i5-4690k ever will be even overclocked to the moon, and single core in games will be no where near noticeable enough to care IMHO.

8 hours ago, XIdentity said:

my only concern is if I would feel the jump in single threaded score.

What monitor do you have? If it's Only 60Hz then no you won't notice. If it's 144Hz you should stick with the i5.

thanks for the feedback. I am keeping my ryzen for sure as I think it is quite useful for my school, but its not complete (I am only at 1 stick of 8gb ddr4 2400mhz/etc) just wasnt too sure if i should sell my i5 for more parts for ryzen or not. Think it might be best if I just keep it and see how it goes? Also, for my workload its not like I care too much about my display (I'm fine with 1080p 60fps which is the monitor I am using, even though I have a 1080 ti). It's more like I do some programming for my assignments which some are multi and others are single threaded.