[SOLVED] CPU overheats everytime I've been away from my computer...

Go to solution Solved by Zusafek,
7 hours ago, Sophrosyne said:

I've unplugged all cabled and started in up with the bare minimum. Remountet the CPU and reapplied thermal paste.

I understand what you are saying, but the last few times this has happened the pattern repeats itself. Suddenly the CPU is back to normal temp, 30 celcius idle. 

Does this not mean that the cooler is not at fault?

From everything I'm reading here it sounds like your cpu cooler is the culprit. The pump could be bad, the system could be clogged or low on fluid, or the rad could be caked beyond belief with dust. But most of the time with aio setups the pump fails. 

Every time having been on vacation, I come home to a computer with a CPU overheating to 90 degrees celcius, within two minutes. It's everytime I come back to use my computer after a vacation this happens. I used to be able to fix it be resetting the bios. However, last time I only managed to fix it by remounting the CPU in the socket.

What may be causing this and how can I avoid it in the future?

I have attached my specs.

Thanks in advance!

Specs.png

5 minutes ago, Zomicron said:

Can we have a little more information on your system specs please? Like cpu, case, cooler etc. 

And to clarify, is it overheating while you gone, or when you come back to use it? 

How often has this happened? When did this start? 

It overheats when I come back to use it. It has happened at least 7-8 times, now increasing in the amount of hassle to fix it... I can't remember when it started. I attached my specs.

Thanks!

Specs.png

72 degrees at stock speed seem a tad bit high. What are you cooling it with?

Edit: The CPU fan comes to mind. Fans tend to stop working when u stop them and then start them back on after a while.

You mentioned resetting the PC, did you also re-do your fan curve for the cooling?  if not check that, especially if you have an unusual config.

Other than that it could only be the cooling system of course, which I can't see that you mentioned anywhere. What cooler are you using?

I agree that it could be dust buildup, especially if you were away for a while and in a humid area as the dust may become stuck to the PC I would imagine.. you might need to give the machine a good cleaning each time if it was a long period you ahve been away.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

45 minutes ago, Dujith said:

72 degrees at stock speed seem a tad bit high. What are you cooling it with?

Edit: The CPU fan comes to mind. Fans tend to stop working when u stop them and then start them back on after a while.

42 minutes ago, Zomicron said:

Thanks for the additional information. I see that the cpu is at 72c in the picture. If that is under load that is fine. If that's while idle/light use that's a problem. I would start with checking your cpu cooler to see if its still secured firmly and not clogged with dust. If it's a liquid cooler that you've had for a while, check if the pump is still working and that it still has enough liquid (even if it's an AIO). 

12 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

You mentioned resetting the PC, did you also re-do your fan curve for the cooling?  if not check that, especially if you have an unusual config.

Other than that it could only be the cooling system of course, which I can't see that you mentioned anywhere. What cooler are you using?

I agree that it could be dust buildup, especially if you were away for a while and in a humid area as the dust may become stuck to the PC I would imagine.. you might need to give the machine a good cleaning each time if it was a long period you ahve been away.

This is during idle, right after having it started up!

I was only away for three days though, so I am thinking it might have something to do with the cooler. Would you recommend a computer air duster for clearing it?

13 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I don't think there is a curve available for my motherboard and cooler. It is a Corsair h80i water cooled. Pump seems to be working though, but the radiator is not warm...

17 minutes ago, Sophrosyne said:

This is during idle, right after having it started up!

I was only away for three days though, so I am thinking it might have something to do with the cooler. Would you recommend a computer air duster for clearing it?

Well, when a PC starts up it's actually not THAT idle, but it still seems a bit warm... my PC usually is still in the high clock range for a few mins after startup, depending on your startup progs and if it has a few updates to do and stuff like dropbox/google backup and sync, it could be still in that high range and cause heat. I'd let it sit for a good 10 mins, and check the task manager to see what's being used.

16 minutes ago, Sophrosyne said:

I don't think there is a curve available for my motherboard and cooler. It is a Corsair h80i water cooled. Pump seems to be working though, but the radiator is not warm...

Go into the BIOS, and check the "hardware" tab under advanced settings (depending on mobo), you should eb able to set the fan curve or % for fans usage to temp in there. For an AIO I ALWAYS have my pump set to max/performance for instance, and the CPU fan fairly low to increase with temp (saves noise), but in this case I think you might want to set a more aggressive %/fan curve to test this issue.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Well, when a PC starts up it's actually not THAT idle, but it still seems a bit warm... my PC usually is still in the high clock range for a few mins after startup, depending on your startup progs and if it has a few updates to do and stuff like dropbox/google backup and sync, it could be still in that high range and cause heat. I'd let it sit for a good 10 mins, and check the task manager to see what's being used.

Go into the BIOS, and check the "hardware" tab under advanced settings (depending on mobo), you should eb able to set the fan curve or % for fans usage to temp in there. For an AIO I ALWAYS have my pump set to max/performance for instance, and the CPU fan fairly low to increase with temp (saves noise), but in this case I think you might want to set a more aggressive %/fan curve to test this issue.

It does not work... :(

1 hour ago, Sophrosyne said:

It does not work... :(

It doesn't work as in you can't set the fan curve or as in it's not fixing the problem.

Honestly, I think you just need to replace that CPU cooler.

What else could it be right?

AIO's don't last forever after all.

If you want something that'll last, get an air cooler.

Don't forget to use pcpartpicker to choose it though to make sure it fits your case.

3 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

It doesn't work as in you can't set the fan curve or as in it's not fixing the problem.

Honestly, I think you just need to replace that CPU cooler.

What else could it be right?

AIO's don't last forever after all.

If you want something that'll last, get an air cooler.

Don't forget to use pcpartpicker to choose it though to make sure it fits your case.

I've unplugged all cabled and started in up with the bare minimum. Remountet the CPU and reapplied thermal paste.

I understand what you are saying, but the last few times this has happened the pattern repeats itself. Suddenly the CPU is back to normal temp, 30 celcius idle. 

7 hours ago, Sophrosyne said:

From everything I'm reading here it sounds like your cpu cooler is the culprit. The pump could be bad, the system could be clogged or low on fluid, or the rad could be caked beyond belief with dust. But most of the time with aio setups the pump fails. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Invest in a decent air cooler. Even a Gammaxx 400 for around $20 would do a better job frankly. Your present one is on it's way out. Water cooling is just not worth it for the higher costs, greater risk and minimal rewards that it offers.

7 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Invest in a decent air cooler. Even a Gammaxx 400 for around $20 would do a better job frankly. Your present one is on it's way out. Water cooling is just not worth it for the higher costs, greater risk and minimal rewards that it offers.

AIOs are pretty safe actually.

Mine even comes with a warranty that'll replace any components it damages if anything went wrong.

Good old Fractal Design.

Anyways, it's understood that you're going to need to replace an AIO about every 5 years.

They're not that expensive anymore either.

Air coolers are more convenient and work for longer for sure,

but watercooling isn't as scary as you think especially with AIOs.

I mean, it's the same as if your CPU fan died.

Ultimately, if the pump completely dies, it's going to shut itself off anyways.

Heck, it'll thermal throttle/shut itself off even if you don't install a CPU cooler at all.

There are protections for these things ;)

Leaks are rare with AIOs, but just make sure you get one which has a warranty that covers damages like I did and you're fine.

15 hours ago, Sophrosyne said:

If it's in the process of dying, it might work fine if you wait a bit for it to warm up so that's not unusual.

Check to see if it's still under warranty.

You might be able to RMA it and get a replacement.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, Sophrosyne said:

Every time having been on vacation, I come home to a computer with a CPU overheating to 90 degrees celcius, within two minutes. It's everytime I come back to use my computer after a vacation this happens. I used to be able to fix it be resetting the bios. However, last time I only managed to fix it by remounting the CPU in the socket.

What may be causing this and how can I avoid it in the future?

I have attached my specs.

Thanks in advance!

Specs.png

Ur CPU is running at stock frequency ...so temps shouldn't be that high..unless it is under load

Redo the thermal paste ND reseat ur CPU properly.....

Check whether ur CPU cooler is fine or not

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

45 minutes ago, Sophrosyne said:

I bought a new CPU cooler and it fixed my issues thanks to everyone who pointed me in that direction! 

Awesome. Don't forget to mark this post as solved :)