Pendrive gets Hot on TV and router

Hi, so simple question, I have tried several pendrives and even am external wd hardrive. After a few minutes the start to heat up, this happened on 2 LG TVs and my router. Why is that? Any chance of damaging the pendrives or HDD? I want leave an HDD connected to my router as an ftp server, is that safe?. thanks

1 minute ago, lautaro_busto said:

Hi, so simple question, I have tried several pendrives and even am external wd hardrive. After a few minutes the start to heat up, this happened on 2 LG TVs and my router. Why is that?

If it's accessing the contents of the drive, the drive controller will be working hard and they tend to heat up. But that's not really a cause for concern if it's not getting too hot to touch for long.

Any chance of damaging the pendrives or HDD?

No.

I want leave an HDD connected to my router as an ftp server, is that safe?. thanks

It depends on the router, how you configured it, and if there are any outstanding security holes in it. Also I believe routers that let you plug in an external drive use some sort of network protocol like SMB to make the drive a NAS. i.e., you don't use FTP to talk to it.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's accessing the contents of the drive, the drive controller will be working hard and they tend to heat up. But that's not really a cause for concern if it's not getting too hot to touch for long.

No.

It depends on the router, how you configured it, and if there are any outstanding security holes in it. Also I believe routers that let you plug in an external drive use some sort of network protocol like SMB to make the drive a NAS. i.e., you don't use FTP to talk to it.

Ok. Thanks. Mm as far as I know the router uses SMB on the same network and ftp to external. But I could be wrong. Well I'll try with an old 40gb notebook HDD first to be sure hehe.