Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

image.thumb.jpeg.8a3c8251b81dc344e8c9e80282e0ca8e.jpeg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Luckily, I value this Celeron 433 less than my Celeron 500. Got everything ready for testing the Slotket - luckily amongst the parts my aunt gave me 7-8 years ago was a stock S370 Celeron cooler:
20230804_180824.thumb.jpg.619ea8687220f986155138c1860c4297.jpg

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And it works:
20230804_185153.thumb.jpg.76bead880a9b9d27ba4733f65747033f.jpg20230804_185159.thumb.jpg.330ca4d62a0e40b85e36e55655c521d5.jpg

Edit: Also swapped to my 200W PSU to see if that fixed my "freezing while trying to use the TNT" issue, and now I can play UT on it. 145W really is only enough for its OG Packard Bell with; PIII 650, Integrated Audio+Voodoo3 2000, 1x 20GB 5400RPM HDD and 2x ODD.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Logitech G9x was my favorite mouse Battlefield 2 era.

image.jpeg

Finally get to move this Core 2 Extreme system into an era correct case, though I do enjoy it in here

20230805_184315.jpg

20230805_184325.jpg

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

1 hour ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Finally get to move this Core 2 Extreme system into an era correct case, though I do enjoy it in here

20230805_184315.jpg

20230805_184325.jpg

Hah, my Q9650/SLI Quadro FX 4800 is in a similar anachronistic case. Almost like a retro sleeper build, funnily enough. The case originally held an MSI K7 board with an Athlon XP CPU, sticker is still on.

I love how those EVGA... something? Could be 8800-GTX 480 really. But anyway I love how those look like Radeon HD cards from the side

6 minutes ago, da na said:

Hah, my Q9650/SLI Quadro FX 4800 is in a similar anachronistic case. Almost like a retro sleeper build, funnily enough. The case originally held an MSI K7 board with an Athlon XP CPU, sticker is still on.

I love how those EVGA... something? Could be 8800-GTX 480 really. But anyway I love how those look like Radeon HD cards from the side

I last minute decided to do a build log over in the build log section of the forum on this computer, funny enough the new case I just found out use to have an Athlon X2 system in it. Not quite an XP but a little newer 😉 Oh and the GPU is an EVGA GTX 260 actually, it does look sweet from the side. It is a heavy card!

image.png.7a0151669a1ffba1240df3a20bf119d8.png

2 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

I last minute decided to do a build log over in the build log section of the forum on this computer, funny enough the new case I just found out use to have an Athlon X2 system in it. Not quite an XP but a little newer 😉 Oh and the GPU is an EVGA GTX 260 actually, it does look sweet from the side. It is a heavy card!

image.png.7a0151669a1ffba1240df3a20bf119d8.png

Awesome. Two of those in SLI would be great, can speak from experience. (Quadro FX 4800 is literally GTX 260 with 1.5GB VRAM)

Just now, da na said:

Awesome. Two of those in SLI would be great, can speak from experience. (Quadro FX 4800 is literally GTX 260 with 1.5GB VRAM)

Oh sweet! Yeah I should pick another one up for this build actually... don't tempt me! 

7 minutes ago, da na said:

an Athlon XP CPU

I've not played around with those, but I do have a pair of Athlon MPs -- same chip as an Athlon XP that supports multiple sockets. Fun stuff.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have one of those exact cards here and it works great (For what it is).

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've not played around with those, but I do have a pair of Athlon MPs -- same chip as an Athlon XP that supports multiple sockets. Fun stuff.

Love the Athlon XP, I really wish I kept mine I pulled from an old gateway. Think I played with it for a bit with some random AGP cards and I have no idea what I did with it after that. Was rock solid!

image.thumb.png.3bcd4b272eaadbf7592a45c59ab4cc09.png

I think this was also an Athlon XP board I had, man I wish I kept this stuff 😞 

Screenshot2023-08-05204017.png.7229ec9f615d08d26bccf38ce259e1f1.png

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Neato, never played around with one either, sadly. All the ones I have released the magic smoke

45 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes, the Athlon MP's do support multiple socket function and aside from that, they are the same exact chip as a standard XP chip.
XP-M (Mobile) chips also support this function by default since it's enabled on those from the factory.

The difference is a bridge on the chip has to be enabled for it to do so, you can take a standard XP chip and make it MP capable as well if you know how to do that - And I do. 😉

And speaking of such setups, here's mine with a pair of XP-M 2800's in use with a pair of Tt Volcano 11's doing the cooling duties.
https://hwbot.org/submission/2174614_bones_wprime___32m_athlon_xp_m_2800_(barton)_31sec_219ms

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

No more whiny fan! Upgraded the cooler on my GeForce 6800 today and the difference is incredible.

image.thumb.png.ee02c5be7a11a808c2c1496a51f00a09.png

Copper coldplate, two heatpipes, and two-slot finstack keep this card running in the mid 40s under load.

image.thumb.png.737ad080904c3f845165e7dbcd440382.png

The fan also blows nice cold air over the power delivery and memory modules, instead of blowing exhaust onto them like the stock cooler.

image.thumb.png.f4b64f181a0d7916d1df9776c2e66892.png

Connected to a fan header set to AMD™ K8™ Cool and Quiet™ Technology™, the fan is completely inaudible when sitting a few feet away. Huge difference from the stock fan, high 70s under load and earsplitting whine. 

image.thumb.png.a27d9de00cdcac198d7aaec426e6818a.png

Bad news though, it takes up four slots. It uses tall screws on the back of the card to hold the cooler on, blocking the PCIe slot above, and the thick heatsink blocks two PCI slots below the GPU. You could squeeze in a card in the last PCI slot but that would really choke out the fan. I am willing to trade my sound card for this cooler though.

Meet my "New" optical drive, the Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8200.

image.thumb.png.b110ffc254d4fb3607d3cae2c9938055.png

This is a slightly modified (and very long) Hewlett-Packard IDE drive enclosed in a plastic case. It reads and writes CD-R and RW disks at 4x, and can also play audio CDs through the front headphone jack or passthrough in the rear. Connects to the computer via USB (and soundcard Line In through the 3.5mm jack if desired). 

image.png.74b1c3cb2995fc3ac8318f4ac74ae037.png

I picked this up with the intention of harvesting its IDE drive, but I love it as an external device so I think I will keep it that way. Although very large and not particularly fast by today's standards, it is nice and quiet, works with every OS I have tried, and burns disks flawlessly. 

10 minutes ago, da na said:

Meet my "New" optical drive, the Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8200.

This is a slightly modified (and very long) Hewlett-Packard IDE drive enclosed in a plastic case. It reads and writes CD-R and RW disks at 4x, and can also play audio CDs through the front headphone jack or passthrough in the rear. Connects to the computer via USB (and soundcard Line In through the 3.5mm jack if desired). 

I remember when I bought my Creative 6x4x24 CD-Writer fondly. I also remember, quite a bit less fondly, how LONG it actually took to write a CD at 4x, let alone 6x....

Good grief that felt like months per disc.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

4 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

I remember when I bought my Creative 6x4x24 CD-Writer fondly. I also remember, quite a bit less fondly, how LONG it actually took to write a CD at 4x, let alone 6x....

Good grief that felt like months per disc.

I've been writing CDs at around 8.9x, the speed my new pack of CD-RWs write in my workstation's internal optical drive. They have been taking maybe 6-8 minutes per disk depending on ISO size so yeah probably 15 min at 4x.

Ah yes and the terror of watching the buffer to see if you could keep it full because you realize too late the drive you're burning to is slaved to the drive you're reading from and that ATA-33 is just barely able to keep up with overhead.

ActionPc.3000 Epson is the oldest computer I think I have.M ight have something older but its so old I couldnt even hook up a drive to it to install 95 cause it uses older cables.so its kind of stuck with Windows 3.1

1 hour ago, King Candy said:

ActionPc.3000

Think i've found the spec sheet for it here:

image.png.ad1e10ef06364bb658ef9df05b32548d.png

You wouldn't want Windows 95 on that anyways.  Just keep it on DOS 6.22

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

thanks for ths info, It came with windows 3.1 I believe, maybe they updated it.Its kind of useless but a piece of computer history but it works.I go to the computer dump once a week bins and have picked up some old hardware

lol I decided to fire up it it had a cryix dx2 66mhz possessor....oooofff and it is running windows 3.1 in black and white. I wonder if I could get Doom to run on this thing.