Trying to migrate windows to ssd

ETHENP73

I'm trying to move my windows 10 pro over to my ssd but I cannot clone my hard drive because the hard drive is bigger than the ssd. I have tried some things but i bet some of you have a good answer for me.

ey @ETHENP73

First of all whats the size of the HDD and what is the size of the SSD?

You have to make the partions smaller first which can be done with gparded for example, although this can be somewhat difficult if you're not familiar with linux. Some software can do this automatic for you although those aren't available for free most of the time.

The HDD is 2TB but its only got 1.2TB on it and the SSD is 120 GB

1 minute ago, ETHENP73 said:

The HDD is 2TB but its only got 1.2TB on it and the SSD is 120 GB

Well, thats to much data. Partitions can be made small if there is unused space, but if its all in use then we got a problem there. Do you have the data and opperating system at 2 different partitions? If so then we can just only clone the partition with the operating system to the SSD and keep the HDD for only the data.

Is there a way to do it without reinstalling?

1 minute ago, lukemcfc said:

Try just backing your stuff up and reinstalling Windows. You can find the licence key in settings!

Or this, but if that was an option then you don't want to clone anyway.

Just now, Jarno. said:

Well, thats to much data. Partitions can be made small if there is unused space, but if its all in use then we got a problem there. Do you have the data and opperating system at 2 different partitions? If so then we can just only clone the partition with the operating system to the SSD and keep the HDD for only the data.

No it's all on one partition because I didn't think id want to move it when i installed windows

3 minutes ago, ETHENP73 said:

No it's all on one partition because I didn't think id want to move it when i installed windows

Alright, next question then. Do you have unallocated space available to you at the hardrive? (Can be checked trough drive manager)

If the awser at that question is no too, then youre probably stuck at moving stuff over to other drive or storage device and just reinstall windows.

no all of the storage space on the HDD is already allocated is there a way i can split the one partition without formatting?

4 minutes ago, ETHENP73 said:

no all of the storage space on the HDD is already allocated is there a way i can split the one partition without formatting?

That is possible by first doing a defragmentation of the harddrive and then next shrink the partition trough a live cd with gparded or a similar tool. Although this is a somewhat ridiculous process which you only want to do if you dont have any other choices. So you rather want to install windows at your ssd, choice it as boot device and then add the HDD to you PC later so you can move over all files trough Windows.

ok thanks for the advice ill just go buy a bigger ssd, that seems like the easiest way to go.

• 1 month later...

I've had excellent results using Macrium Reflect Free.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!