I am planning to buy an Alienware alpha off of "NewEgg" and was wondering if its good for Gaming. The reason I am getting this and not some used computer is because I move a lot around different states and stuff. Currently, I have an Hp Pavilion with a core i7 and HD Intel 5500 graphics, So this will be a huge upgrade for me. I will also upgrade the Alienware alpha with more ram and a better CPU and am planning to buy the Alienware graphics amplifier later on as well. 

I will probably just upgrade the ram. Any suggestions are welcome.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R434G4390&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+PC-_-9SIA6R434G4390&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrEYpMUDz3M5lWk4d-a6CGxNZ200Qc54NOssNBu2rum0mwqaiLfnSekaAkh2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Euro Truck sim 2, Csgo, Minecraft, Roblox. farcry 5 stuff like that really and Probably Vr when I upgrade it. with the graphics amplifier.

5 minutes ago, Xiety said:

What do you plan on playing?

Euro Truck sim 2, Csgo, Minecraft, Roblox. farcry 5 stuff like that really and Probably Vr when I upgrade it. with the graphics amplifier.

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the Alienware Alpha, even upgraded.

Upgrading it might be a little hard as well, if you're lucky you can probably get a 4790 and up to 16Gb DDR3 SDRAM in there.

The GPU is soldered onto the mainboard, so upgrading that is pretty much impossible. Using their Graphics Amplifier is out of the question, the Alpha lacks Alienware's specialized and proprietary port for it. From what I've seen, the model you linked uses an Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the Alienware Alpha, even upgraded.

Upgrading it might be a little hard as well, if you're lucky you can probably get a 4790 and up to 16Gb DDR3 SDRAM in there.

The GPU is soldered onto the mainboard, so upgrading that is pretty much impossible. Using their Graphics Amplifier is out of the question, the Alpha lacks Alienware's specialized and proprietary port for it. From what I've seen, the model you linked uses an Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M.

Is there any other Alienware alpha pretty cheap that has a better GPU. I really wasn't able to find any to be honest. and thank god I didnt buy it the 860m sucks (Big Time)

1 minute ago, PricklyAlien said:

Is there any other Alienware alpha pretty cheap that has a better GPU. I really wasn't able to find any to be honest. and thank god I didnt buy it the 860m sucks (Big Time)

The higher end model Alphas would likely have a better GPU, but I'm not sure just how much better.

Honestly, you might be better off looking for an Alpha that's newer, such as the Skylake-based models.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

The higher end model Alphas would likely have a better GPU, but I'm not sure just how much better.

Honestly, you might be better off looking for an Alpha that's newer, such as the Skylake-based models.

you mean this one? 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/alienware-alpha/spd/alienware-alpha-r2-desktop/dkcwa01h

2 minutes ago, PricklyAlien said:

That one's got a GTX 960 4Gb, it appears to be a full desktop version rather than mobile which will help your performance in gaming.

Honestly, I would save up some cash and build an SFF gaming rig from scratch instead of going prebuilt.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That one's got a GTX 960 4Gb, it appears to be a full desktop version rather than mobile which will help your performance in gaming.

Honestly, I would save up some cash and build an SFF gaming rig from scratch instead of going prebuilt.

The reason this is a good choice to me is that I move around to different states. So I really need something extremely mobile but packs a punch at the same time. Do you have any Suggestions?

Just now, PricklyAlien said:

The reason this is a good choice to me is that I move around to different states. So I really need something extremely mobile but packs a punch at the same time. Do you have any Suggestions?

Unless you're willing to cough up a few thousand for a higher end gaming laptop. Or if you can find a good gaming laptop for several hundred.

Unless you're willing to cough up a few thousand for a higher end gaming laptop. Or if you can find a good gaming laptop for several hundred.

I've tried the gaming laptop thing. It's not my bread and butter. they go for a lot, but they have mobile GPU graphics so more money for a weak punch is what it seems to me.

I guess I have to do more research. Thanks for letting me know that this isn't really the best choice. If you have any suggestions pls let me know, but in the meantime, I am going to do more research for the best cheapish Mobile gaming system.

Just now, PricklyAlien said:

I've tried the gaming laptop thing. It's not my bread and butter. they go for a lot, but they have mobile GPU graphics so more money for a weak punch is what it seems to me.

I guess I have to do more research. Thanks for letting me know that this isn't really the best choice. If you have any suggestions pls let me know, but in the meantime, I am going to do more research for the best cheapish Mobile gaming system.

Depends on how old you're looking, there is no official mobile designation for the GTX 10-series laptops.

If you can't get a good gaming laptop, then my next best solution would be just build a small form factor gaming desktop and take it places with you. The Fractal Design Node 202 is a pretty good case for such a purpose.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on how old you're looking, there is no official mobile designation for the GTX 10-series laptops.

If you can't get a good gaming laptop, then my next best solution would be just build a small form factor gaming desktop and take it places with you. The Fractal Design Node 202 is a pretty good case for such a purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.