Another one bytes the dust

Darkmaster29

Another IT Manager has been arrested for mining bitcoin and litecoin.

Matthew McDermott, 51, of Davenport was the information technology manager for the Florida Department of Citrus, the agency that oversees the state’s citrus industry.

Note to self: If you do not pay the electric bill, do not mine on any PC.

Mining for cryptocurrency requires extensive computing power. Utility bills for the department jumped by more than 40 percent between October 2017 and January 2017, at a cost of about $825, according to the inspector general for the citrus agency.

McDermott also spent more than $22,000 using a state purchasing card between July and December, FDLE agents said. He bought 24 graphic processing units, the FDLE said. These are often used to mine for cryptocurrency.

He is charged with grand theft and official misconduct. He was taken to Polk County jail and his bail was set at $5,000.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/Department-of-Citrus-employee-arrested-when-caught-mining-for-cryptocurrency-agents-say_166345974

Only 5K for bail? Seems a bit low to me, I'm surprised he wouldn't be able to pay it himself; he can after all, afford 24 GPUs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Only 5K for bail? Seems a bit low to me, I'm surprised he wouldn't be able to pay it himself; he can after all, afford 24 GPUs.

After taking out a personal loan :P

Then again a 51 year old IT manager probably does have $18K-$30K lying around.

5 minutes ago, Darkmaster29 said:

Another IT Manager has been arrested for mining bitcoin and litecoin.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/Department-of-Citrus-employee-arrested-when-caught-mining-for-cryptocurrency-agents-say_166345974

When I was in school at 16 me and a few friends Reinstalled windows on a bunch op computers we knew weren't used and used them for mining Litecoin. The Hash rate was awful and in hindsight definitely wasn't worth the risk aha. I imagine on this scale it could be quite ludicrous 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

I could probably mine at work and get away with it lol. The amount of power used by the place >.>

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Way to throw a career away, and for what?  A lot less money than a pay check was bringing in?  Not to mention pension & benefits.

At 51, what ya gonna do now huh?  Steal from someone else?

Good luck with the rest of your life.

i wonder if my manager is doing the same thing i wouldn't be surprised if he is. Whenever there's mining news brought up he never stops talking about it.

"Tru Mutha Fucka' goin out for the loot" - Biggie Smalls

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I wonder how much he was making off the stuff. I would like to know just how dumb the risk was compared to the reward.

.... He thought he could say they honestly needed 24k worth of gpus for what? Processing how many oranges the farmers are growing? 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I wonder how much he was making off the stuff. I would like to know just how dumb the risk was compared to the reward.

Depending on the crypto coin he was mining.

We are talking about 11K a year. without taking into account the Electric bill.

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

5K for bail

yeah they just put up car title I think down there plus most likely 10% cash, someone should google that be interesting to know.

they got bail bondsman down there

Dog the Bounty Hunter

I mean really, if you are going to do something like that, dont mickey mouse it. Thats just peanuts.

Just take a few mill or more and see where the dice land.

Now he will be getting a criminal record if convicted and will be fucked for mickey mouses $10k/yr

I wonder if they will proceed with a mistermeanor or a felony. Eitherway there are no record scrubs down there, not like Canada.

Lol, you would think that especially IT savy people would know how easy someone could find out about mining operations and what the consequences will be... seems like everyone is losing their minds for a few bitcoin...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

easy gravy train

not if you lose your job for it ^^

I mean unless he wanted to work somewhere else anyways but that's not exactly a recommendation for any future job position...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

n

ppl dont think like that

they just see the gravy and how easy it is

its human nature

19 hours ago, Darkmaster29 said:

If you do mine on someone else's PC, frame someone else using their account credentials and never access the programs through equipment that can be traced to you.

Having read the article, what a moron. You're effectively mining coin for free, what sort of idiot ramps up the electric bill for the whole department by 40%?  Instead you keep it within 5% and keep that shit going for years.