Mounting Samba Share in Linux (Help)

Hello,

This is my first post here so hope everyone is having a great day.

I've recently been exploring Linux  for a variety of reasons and it's been going mostly smoothly.

I installed on an older AMD Phenom II x3 build and I'd like to use it as a media center device in my living room. 

I have a Lacie Rugged external HDD attached to my Asus RT-AC66u wireless router running as a Samba share. I set some user accounts in the Asus software, and my Windows 10 PC can easily connect.

When I try to connect via Linux Mint 17.2 x64 it keeps saying to check the login credentials.

I've tried the password many times, then changed the password/username. I then made different user accounts in the Asus software.

None of this worked, and I definitely don't know enough about Linux yet to troubleshoot efficiently.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Let me know if I missed providing any important info.

I'd really appreciate the help. Sorry if this should have gone in the Troubleshooting forum.

Thanks all

I've been using the GUI rather than terminal. I went into the file explorer, up to "File--->Connect to a Server" and followed the prompts for connecting to a Windows Share. I'm logged in as root (not sure if that's relevant or even secure to be honest).

For /mnt/mountpoint is that just the file path here? I do not have much context to work with on Linux commands.

Thanks for the reply.

18 minutes ago, gnomecannon said:

I've been using the GUI rather than terminal. I went into the file explorer, up to "File--->Connect to a Server" and followed the prompts for connecting to a Windows Share. I'm logged in as root (not sure if that's relevant or even secure to be honest).

For /mnt/mountpoint is that just the file path here? I do not have much context to work with on Linux commands.

Thanks for the reply.

dont login to root.

I assumed termina, thats the command you use there.

my bet is the domain is wrong.

The domain is named "WORKGROUP" in the router settings for the Samba share, and that's what I'm typing in for the domain on the Linux machine. Hm, is it necessary to manually join a Linux PC to a domain? If so, I haven't done that yet. Think it would be necessary?

4 minutes ago, gnomecannon said:

The domain is named "WORKGROUP" in the router settings for the Samba share, and that's what I'm typing in for the domain on the Linux machine. Hm, is it necessary to manually join a Linux PC to a domain? If so, I haven't done that yet. Think it would be necessary?

If its a share from windows, you want to make sure the username matched the name of your folder in the windows users directory.

This fucks with me constantly because across my 3 windows 10 installs (using the same exact account information, including the same MS account) I have 3 completely different variations of spelling and format of my users folder name.  you need to match that formatting when you try to authenticate, or it wont work.

Windows 10 is broken.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

4 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

If its a share from windows, you want to make sure the username matched the name of your folder in the windows users directory.

This fucks with me constantly because across my 3 windows 10 installs (using the same exact account information, including the same MS account) I have 3 completely different variations of spelling and format of my users folder name.  you need to match that formatting when you try to authenticate, or it wont work.

Windows 10 is broken.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a share that was created via the Asus router's software. Since it's Samba-based, I was under the impression that it would be referred to as a Windows share. I am not sharing a folder from a Windows OS directly.

13 minutes ago, gnomecannon said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a share that was created via the Asus router's software. Since it's Samba-based, I was under the impression that it would be referred to as a Windows share. I am not sharing a folder from a Windows OS directly.

hmmmm.  is there an option to mount as a non windows share?

typically, your router will be running some form of unix or linux.

honestly, ive only ever mounted shares sucessfully via terminal.  and the earlier response is probably the best way to do it.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

I would include the share name when you're connecting, otherwise you'd need credentials for the device itself. 

Honestly to make your life easier, I would set an "everyone" permission with Read Only. I'm sure you can restrict by IP address if you're anxious about others on your network accessing it.

Does the share have a server name, or are you inputting the IP address when you're trying to add a server in file explorer?

For instance, say I have a server with a domain name of Deadpool, and the share is Media I can connect to it by entering \\Deadpool\Media - note the Caps, this matters. It can also be accessed by the IP address of \\10.0.0.5\Media

In ubuntu however, it's easiest IMO to do it by domain, so:-

Domain: Deadpool

Share: Media

User: Paddy

pass: x

Sometimes I have had to add it manually by going [file]>[connect to server]

Here you will need to choose

Server: Deadpool or 10.0.0.5

type: windows share

Share: Media (again note the case sensitivity - it will stop you connecting)

folder:/

Domain name: Deadpool or blank (it will add WORKGROUP if left blank)

User: Paddy

pass: x

tick to save password

Tick [add bookmark] if you would like to find it easier in future. and then enter the bookmark name.. and press connect

If you've already tried the above then I apologize. Both of the above ways should work,

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try using the terminal again once the fatigue of my previous attempts wears off a bit.

As far as how I'm adding it, I've been using \\MEDIA-SHARE\Shared\Movies as the share path, which is how I connected via a Windows machine. 

Thanks