Buying old phones LG G6 or S7 or iPhone 6s ?

AAB

Hi,

I am looking for a phone with a good/ great camera. The prices of the Samsung S7, Lg G6, iPhone 6s have dropped!

So does it make any sense to buy these old phones?

The iPhone 6s is still expensive!

Samsung S7 is the cheapest among all but Touch Wiz is an issue I am aware that hardware wise its still better but Samsung's phones slow down drastically after a while.

iPhone 6s 32 GB variant seems less for Storage. We do have affordable 4g(or really fast 3g as some call it) in India but I still don't feel like putting everything in the cloud let it photos or music etc.

This leaves me with the LG G6 it's a year old and seems like the LG UI does not have a lot of crap compared to Samsung.

I am open to other suggestions as well, my priority is Camera :P

The OnePlus 5T is expensive by around 6k compared to LG and 10k compared to the S7, I understand it has better hardware and a better lighter UI but after seeing a few dozen videos the camera quality seems the same as Samsung or LG. I mean it is a great phone but the camera does not blow me away compared to the S7 or LG, photos shot in low light seem to be better on the S7.

So I am welcome to suggestion if people think I should save more and get may be the S8 or iPhone 7 I am fine with that too!

I currently own an S5 I bought it when it was a year old no 4G and 2Gb Ram is hurting now the phone served me well for close to 3 years now.

Please suggest phones that will last at least 2-3 years I know its hard to predict the future but well what the heck....

I'd take a look at either the Pixel or Pixel 2. Both have fantastic camera quality and come with unlimited full resolution cloud storage on Google Photos. You'll also be getting one of the best Android UI experiences currently available, with the Pixel receiving guaranteed OEM updates until 2019 and the Pixel 2 until 2020.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

44 minutes ago, AAB said:

Hi,

I am looking for a phone with a good/ great camera. The prices of the Samsung S7, Lg G6, iPhone 6s have dropped!

So does it make any sense to buy these old phones?

The iPhone 6s is still expensive!

Samsung S7 is the cheapest among all but Touch Wiz is an issue I am aware that hardware wise its still better but Samsung's phones slow down drastically after a while.

iPhone 6s 32 GB variant seems less for Storage. We do have affordable 4g(or really fast 3g as some call it) in India but I still don't feel like putting everything in the cloud let it photos or music etc.

This leaves me with the LG G6 it's a year old and seems like the LG UI does not have a lot of crap compared to Samsung.

I am open to other suggestions as well, my priority is Camera :P

The OnePlus 5T is expensive by around 6k compared to LG and 10k compared to the S7, I understand it has better hardware and a better lighter UI but after seeing a few dozen videos the camera quality seems the same as Samsung or LG. I mean it is a great phone but the camera does not blow me away compared to the S7 or LG, photos shot in low light seem to be better on the S7.

So I am welcome to suggestion if people think I should save more and get may be the S8 or iPhone 7 I am fine with that too!

I currently own an S5 I bought it when it was a year old no 4G and 2Gb Ram is hurting now the phone served me well for close to 3 years now.

Please suggest phones that will last at least 2-3 years I know its hard to predict the future but well what the heck....

Of all the phones you listed the G6 is the latest model, honestly though I would go for the LG G5 since it is the last flagship phone (that I know of besides the V20) with a removable battery, and it was released the same generation as the Samsung Galaxy S7, therefore it will have a greater chance of serving you well in the years to come. P.S. Lithium ion batteries are only intended to last 1.5 to 2.5 years depending on how heavily you use them.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

The 6s is not nearly as good as the 6s Plus. However it’s still a very good phone and should get at least 3 more years of OS support. The Galaxy S7 and the LG will most likely never see another update. Ever. 

If you could I’d get a 6s Plus. You’ll get better battery life, a bigger screen, optical image stabilization, 4K at 30fps, good low light performance, and dual tone flash, oh and a Headphone jack. 

The 6s loses optical image stabilization and gets worse battery life but is the same otherwise. 

I’d get the iPhone on the merit of Apple actually supports your phone for 5 years after it came out.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I still have my old S7E and its absolutely like new (I always put my phones in a case day one and it never comes out of it).  The camera on it is very good (honestly my Note 8 camera isn't massively better other than the capabilities added by the second rear camera) and the battery still easily lasts a full day on a charge in my usage.  Don't listen to DrMacintosh regarding updates as I think OS updates are the among the most overrated aspects of smart phones that people go on about.  I use Nova Launcher on all my phones anyway and typically Android updates don't really change substantially from version to version anyway.  I also still have my old Note 5 and 7 and both of those phones also have fantastic cameras (though you wouldn't want a Note 7 obviously since no carriers support it anymore).  I'd say the camera on the S7E is definitely better than that of the iPhone 6s but the iPhone 7's is a bit better.  Ultimately comes down to personal preference....

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

2 minutes ago, MegaTechPC said:

I still have my old S7E and its absolutely like new (I always put my phones in a case day one and it never comes out of it).  The camera on it is very good (honestly my Note 8 camera isn't massively better other than the capabilities added by the second rear camera) and the battery still easily lasts a full day on a charge in my usage.  Don't listen to DrMacintosh regarding updates as I think OS updates are the among the most overrated aspects of smart phones that people go on about.  I use Nova Launcher on all my phones anyway and typically Android updates don't really change substantially from version to version anyway.  I also still have my old Note 5 and 7 and both of those phones also have fantastic cameras (though you wouldn't want a Note 7 obviously since no carriers support it anymore).  I'd say the camera on the S7E is definitely better than that of the iPhone 6s but the iPhone 7's is a bit better.  Ultimately comes down to personal preference....

I agree updates are overrated, but for some reason, my Samsung S5 slowed a lot after lolipop my phone had 4.4 after purchasing I didn't update for 2 months but post the update everything just felt sluggish and slow, It seems like a deliberate move by Samsung considering that the hardware on phones like Mi A1 is far less powerful than the S7 but offers faster and smoother experience. I am reading answers that claim apps do take a while to load on the S7 even though S7 is scheduled to get the Oreo Update I feel It's not going to make the phone really fast or add to its life.

The Pixel is a good phone but my experience with google devices has not been great, I had a Nexus 7 gen2 tablet was not too happy with it it seemed like an Okay device overhyped...

I've found that typically phones tend to perform best with their launch OS versions and updating usually screws something up (screwed up and updated my iPad Air 1 to iOS11 and it is a disaster now).  Newer versions of iOS and Android are designed with modern features and hardware in mind so sticking a 2018 Android version on a 2014 smart phone is not generally a good idea.  I just never have understood people's obsession with updates since (especially with Android) they are not usually significantly different, other than in hurting performance.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

56 minutes ago, MegaTechPC said:

I just never have understood people's obsession with updates since (especially with Android) they are not usually significantly different, other than in hurting performance

Uhh, security updates? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If you plan to buy Samsung S7, Pixels phone or any OLED screen phone, beware of the burn in or dead pixels.

These stuff plagued some of used phone in the market, especially S7 edge.

The replacement cost is the same as the used price.

That phone is hard to fix, everything is glued.

But the burn in doesn't effect performance, if you don't mind a slight shadow in the screen, the price is rock bottom.

Avoid LG phones, i had bad expericence with LG G3, the phone was gorgeous but it died last year.

The PCB and solder quality of LG Phones are terrible.

I replace it with Samsung s5, which is better overall. But it overheats very easily.

I've planned to buy an old S7 too, but after some research i found something more interesting : Galaxy S7 Active.

It has a whopping 4gb ram and an sdcard slot in a shockproof water resistant body.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I've never had any burn-in on any of my Samsung phones, all of which had OLED displays.  This is mostly a problem on floor models where the screens are always on and displaying static images for hours at a time (nearly every OLED phone I've ever checked out at Best Buy has had noticeable burn-in once they were a few months old).  Obviously OLED's are much more susceptible to image retention than LCD's but I've found that in normal, everyday usage the screen is never left displaying a static image for hours and hours at a time.  As I said, I still have my Note 5 (my oldest phone that I still possess) and its screen is immaculate.