PCIE Lanes and Ryzen

Just wanted to ask this super fast. I currently have an R5 1600 with an Asus Prime b350 plus. My issue is that I am just learning about PCI-E lanes as I feel like I am running into issues. I am in need of a board that supports 2 GPU ( one for gaming one for work. not sli) I currently hot swap and its getting old. So if I was to upgrade the motherboard to say a ROG x370 for dual 3.0 pcie slots, while using an M.2 and PCIe 2.0 slot filled with LAN port ( this is also a must for work) do I run out of PCIE lanes?? I am confused because I don't know how they scale I really can't afford to bottleneck anything if possible and need x4 lanes m.2, x16 *2 for GPUs if possible. I did plan on upgrading over the summer to the new Ryzen CPUs( Ryzen 2? Ryzen+? the 7nm one)  with a board but now I am thinking maybe my money is better off swapping out for Intel. 

I know this is a bit all over the place I just wanted to get the question out as I know have to run. Thanks for everyone's feedback in advance!

You don't need a X16 link for each GPU. X8 is more than enough.

in fact, the B350 motherboard you already have should support 2 GPUs, only with one of them running at X4 speeds, which is totally fine and isn't a bottleneck unless you have a Titan V

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

You don't need a X16 link for each GPU. X8 is more than enough.

in fact, the B350 motherboard you already have should support 2 GPUs, only with one of them running at X4 speeds, which is totally fine and isn't a bottleneck unless you have a Titan V

With M.2 plugged in I am noticing crashing on some games on my 1060 for gaming my other GPU is a Quadro p400 this is why I am so concerned because I would rather not take my pc apart when I wanna game. But for work, I need all 16 lanes, sorry for not clarifying that part. 

But if he uses the PCIe 2.0 x4 from the chipset for the second GPU, the 2* PCIe 2.0 1x ports are disabled because they share lanes.

So he would need an X370 board for its support for 8x/8x bifurcation.

Ryzen CPU has 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes. 16 for GPU on B350, 4 for M.2 NVMe and 4 for the chipset.

The B350 chipset provides 6 PCIe 2.0 lanes for things.

1 hour ago, blue2kid3 said:

With M.2 plugged in I am noticing crashing on some games on my 1060 for gaming my other GPU is a Quadro p400 this is why I am so concerned because I would rather not take my pc apart when I wanna game. But for work, I need all 16 lanes, sorry for not clarifying that part. 

If you need your quadro to have the full 16 lanes, and you also want your 1060 to have enough lanes, then you might need to either settle for an X4 link to your 1060 with an X370 chipset, or upgrade to a better platform altogether like threadripper (64 lanes)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Depends on your gpu actually. Ryzen has 16 lanes allocated ( CPU )for general pcie devices like graphics cards, but aren't spread out  the same depending on the chipset.

When you go for an x370 board ,the lanes are split 8x/8x ,running at pcie 3.0  which lets you run SLI.

With B350 , you get 16x/4x , which is actually more than ryzen has . But there's a catch . The 16 lanes are routed from the cpu to the first gpu . The 4x extra lanes come from the b350 chipset and run at pcie 2.0 , with extra latency . If you're planning to go multi-gpu , get x370. The chipset lanes will let you run crossfire , but they WILL hamper your performance.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Thanks for everyone's feedback, these PCIE lanes are more complex than I originally thought and not really a staple talking point when you go to school for CS.

I guess if I want everything in one system (work and play) looks like my only options are thread ripper or core i9. 

I will wait to see if R7 2, (7nm) "not the one with an April launch", adds more PCIE lanes if not guess I am going to jump chipset platforms. 

Again thanks for everyone's input!

Edited by blue2kid3

Keep in mind some m.2 are sata not pci-e.Some boards if you use the m.2 slots can disable things like u.2 or a sata port or even the lowest pci-e slot on the board.I kinda doubt the next round of ryzens gain any pci lanes it sounds like mostly its gaining clock speeds only but we won't know tell it comes out.Like said you could go threadripper you can get a 8 core 1900x which will have the 64 pci-lanes.You can run 3 m.2s on the board plus the extra pci-x slots you could add a few more m.2s like intel or a few m.2 pci-e kits like asrock that holds 3 of them.What kinda work do you do with that work gpu ?

21 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

Keep in mind some m.2 are sata not pci-e.Some boards if you use the m.2 slots can disable things like u.2 or a sata port or even the lowest pci-e slot on the board.I kinda doubt the next round of ryzens gain any pci lanes it sounds like mostly its gaining clock speeds only but we won't know tell it comes out.Like said you could go threadripper you can get a 8 core 1900x which will have the 64 pci-lanes.You can run 3 m.2s on the board plus the extra pci-x slots you could add a few more m.2s like intel or a few m.2 pci-e kits like asrock that holds 3 of them.What kinda work do you do with that work gpu ?

Good points and something I just found out about, I might have to jump to the current xeon CPU set as I my workflow has threadripper optimization issues. 

As for work, I am a remote worker for tool development in CAD software; While attending school again for my Masters in AI development.