X299 Mobo Recommendations

Hey all

I was planning on waiting to upgrade but unfortunately my old pc suffered a flood and was lost.. I'll be building a new setup and after much heartache and deliberation, I decided to go with the x299 platform and get the 7820x. Only thing I cant seem to decide on atm is motherboard. Does anyone have experience on the x299 platform? Any recommendations?

Biggest reason I am going with the 7820x over the 8700k is the need for more pci-e lanes. I have 2 GPUS, 2 M.2 SSDS, and some other addins that unfortunately take up more than 16 lanes. 

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

CoolingCorsair H115i Pro  |  5  x Corsair ML140 RGB Fans  

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

why not get a threadripper or get a ryzen plus cpu when they come out in a few weeks.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

43 minutes ago, Tempestwins said:

And why are you getting that over Threadripper? Because that gives you more cores at the same price and more PCI-e lanes.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Primary purpose is gaming and streaming, everything i've seen puts the 7820x ahead in performance. 

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

2 minutes ago, Tempestwins said:

Primary purpose is gaming and streaming, everything i've seen puts the 7820x ahead in performance. 

Not for streaming for sure, because threadripper has more physical cores to work with for better encoding settings.

And for gaming it's still going to get 100fps in the average AAA game.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

not using cpu based, gonna be doing it off nvenc. gonna be getting  the 7820 for a decent price so im going with that over the threadrippers..  + both are 8 core processors, the 7820 just clocks higher. 

1 hour ago, Tempestwins said:

Hey all

I was planning on waiting to upgrade but unfortunately my old pc suffered a flood and was lost.. I'll be building a new setup and after much heartache and deliberation, I decided to go with the x299 platform and get the 7820x. Only thing I cant seem to decide on atm is motherboard. Does anyone have experience on the x299 platform? Any recommendations?

Biggest reason I am going with the 7820x over the 8700k is the need for more pci-e lanes. I have 2 GPUS, 2 M.2 SSDS, and some other addins that unfortunately take up more than 16 lanes. 

Sorry to hear about your old pc.

On Intel motherboards M.2 connectors typically use some of the 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes on the X299 or Z370 chipsets, not the ones on the cpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, Tempestwins said:

not using cpu based, gonna be doing it off nvenc. gonna be getting  the 7820 for a decent price so im going with that over the threadrippers..  + both are 8 core processors, the 7820 just clocks higher. 

Do you already have a graphics card? If you're going to use GPU acceleration in OBS you don't need X299 or X399

Spoiler

1 minute ago, brob said:

Sorry to hear about your old pc.

On Intel motherboards M.2 connectors typically use some of the 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes on the X299 or Z370 chipsets, not those on the cpu.

thank YOU for not trying to shove threadripper down my throat. So can you guide me a bit here? Im using 2 1070s (both salvaged). and 2 960 evos. Is the 8700k going to be sufficient for the gaming/streaming load for the forseeable future or should i just stick to my current plan and get a 7820x?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Do you already have a graphics card? If you're going to use GPU acceleration in OBS you don't need X299 or X399

I have 2 1070s, ideally id like to use both for gaming. and have a long term solution to a problem. I stream at 720 60 fps but game at 1440p. the 5820k i was using was struggling with the workload and things looked like shit which is why i went to nvenc originally. 

Just now, Tempestwins said:

I have 2 1070s, ideally id like to use both for gaming. and have a long term solution to a problem. I stream at 720 60 fps but game at 1440p. the 5820k i was using was struggling with the workload and things looked like shit which is why i went to nvenc originally. 

Should totally sell them for like $600-700 during this GPU drought.

A 5820k shouldn't have had any issues streaming at 720p, and even an R7 1700 or i7 8700 can do 720p easily. Maybe just needed to use CPU affinity to force it to use certain cores. Or your settings were just too high in OBS which would have caused issues.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Should totally sell them for like $600-700 during this GPU drought.

A 5820k shouldn't have had any issues streaming at 720p, and even an R7 1700 or i7 8700 can do 720p easily. Maybe just needed to use CPU affinity to force it to use certain cores. Or your settings were just too high in OBS which would have caused issues.

as much as I shouldn't have had issues, I worked with 5 other people all with similar setups and ran the exact same settings they did, and I had issues. Only diff was I game at 1440 not 1080. Eitherway, that cpu is dead or irrelevant. 

An i7-8700K is not going to be a huge improvement over an i7-5820K. I expect the i7-8700K would offer about 25% more performance. An i7-7820X probably offers about 40% - 45% better performance than the i7-5820K. Very rough estimates.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

That puts my mind at ease about the 7820x more.. Only question is for the MOBO.. im still a lil conflicted as to what  might be a good choice. I've always been partial to asus boards but have seen good things about some msi and gigabyte boards too and a lot of negativity about x299 as a whole but I think bios updates have cleared up that issue. 

1 minute ago, Tempestwins said:

That puts my mind at ease about the 7820x more.. Only question is for the MOBO.. im still a lil conflicted as to what  might be a good choice. I've always been partial to asus boards but have seen good things about some msi and gigabyte boards too and a lot of negativity about x299 as a whole but I think bios updates have cleared up that issue. 

EVGA X299 Dark is the easy choice.

Or my suggest is selling a 1070 for above MSRP and grabbing a 16 core 1950X so you never have to worry about your CPU again...

Spoiler

My current top 2 atm are the Asus x299 Deluxe and the Gigabyte Gaming 7.

Ive always been partial to asus boards due to their Awesome Bios and solid build and features but have only heard good things about the gaming 7

3 hours ago, DogKnight said:

I just finished a build with a 7820x. Went for the Gigabyte X299 Auros Ultra Gaming. Was at a decent price point and had the features I needed. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X299-AORUS-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10#kf

Congrats man.  Sounds like a solid build.  Like @Tempestwins, I went with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 my first time around with x299 and Gigabyte makes a great board for sure.  I wouldn't look back if I were you.  I switched to the Asus x299 Apex for specific reasons. 

I'm glad that you weeded through the typical "why aren't you getting x399 and Threadripper" bullshit that has become a mandatory practice on LTT.  

19 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Congrats man.  Sounds like a solid build.  Like @Tempestwins, I went with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 my first time around with x299 and Gigabyte makes a great board for sure.  I wouldn't look back if I were you.  I switched to the Asus x299 Apex for specific reasons. 

I'm glad that you weeded through the typical "why aren't you getting x399 and Threadripper" bullshit that has become a mandatory practice on LTT.  

Cheers mate. The final build ended up being.

- Intel Core i7 7820X

- Gigabyte X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming Motherboard

- Corsair H115i PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler

- Corsair Obsidian 500D Mid-Tower Black ATX Case, T/G Window, No PSU

- Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 32GB (2x16GB) 2666MHz DDR4

- Corsair HX850i 850W Power Supply

- 500gb 960 Evo - NVME PCIe

- 500gb 950 Evo - SATA

- 4TB WD Black HDD

- Gigabyte Auros GTX 1060 3GB

Very happy with the way it came together and performance. Looks nice too. Love the Obsidian 500D case. This wasn't designed to be a gaming PC, but will still do quite well for the odd occasion. 

I did look into TR as an option. And it was a pretty close call. My reasoning is essentially that I am partial to Gigabyte boards (have been using them reliably for a good 15 years). The only TR mobo's that Gigabyte offered (pretty much the Gaming 7 for x399) didn't give me some functionality I wanted for the appropriate price. The other part probably just came down to comfort and familiarity. All my PC's i've built for the last 15 years have been Intel based. 

Some pretty epic builds you have in your signature. When I finally upgrade this PC in a few years I think i'll have a crack at a custom cooling loop too. 

Thank you so much @Dogknight AND @done12many2 The "GO THREADRIPPER" bs is getting seriously annoying. like.. if im going for a HEDT setup, Im not doing it blind. 

I just bought a Asus Prime X299 Deluxe cause i got it for a ridiculous deal (open box 330 + the 30 dollar microcenter discount for pairing together with a cpu). Im also about to buy a 2nd 960 Evo to raid 0 them.

This is my build

Intel Core i7 7820x

Asus Prime x299 Deluxe

Corsair H115i Pro RGB Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Graphite 780T Case

Corsair Vengeance 16 Gigs DDR3000 RGB Ram

Corsair HX1000i PSU

500 GB 960 Evo 

2 X 4 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda HDDS

Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080

Im waiting cause i wanted to De-Lid my CPU so waiting for my tool to arrive to do it and liquid metal all up in it!  Only thing now is just to set up the NVMe Raid and making sure I put the right drivers on my flash drive for it. 

Another VERY satisfied 7820x user here.  I went with a Gigabyte Gaming 7.  It has been a very solid board.  Per core voltage control is the only thing I could ask for.  Build in sig.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

You know that 7820x only has 28 pci e lanes ?So runing two gpus youll get one 16 the 2nd will be 8x.And on the m.2 support on motherboards,Some boards using more then 1 can disable sata ports or pci slot at the bottom depending chipset and board brand.So read everything good before you pick one board over another.Now if you want both cards at 16x then you need to look at threadripper and the I9,Which if you go x299 you can throw in a I9 cpu next year or when ever you need it and budget allows.The reason everyone says threadripper is with all the cores you can pick lets say 8 for gaming and set the rest for streaming or other things running in the background.Streaming while gaming on a 8 core can work but will have to cut back on some settings.And some games like battlefield 1 love to use all cores,While some use 2 to 4 cores but we don't know how the next round of games will run.And something else to think about the next round of ryzens comes out next month.If the speeds are right they should push 4.5ghz which will knock hard on intels door and use cheaper motherboards.

OR... get the X299 OC Formula is you can get one.

This one is the one to get if you do overclock ;)