Android P Developer Preview 1 Announced: Evolution

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What @Captain Chaos posted pictures of is built into Android. It's not something you need a third party ROM for.

Ah, didn't know that.  I moved over to Cyanogenmod around the time that Android 5.0 came out.  Haven't really paid any attention to OEM Android since (even though I do have a Galaxy J3 on stock 6.x that I barely ever use).

Thanks for confirming that it was available in 6.0 already, I really was wondering if I just imagined having had those options that long. 

Correction on what I said. I looked more into it, the source I was reading from was incorrect. (sorry, the last Android phone I had was before Android added Mic/Camera phone support). What Google is adding, is for apps to not be able to get any device sensor information including microphone and camera data if the phone is at idle state (user not using it).

As expected, the feature is officially part of Android P; idle applications can no longer access the microphone, camera, or device sensors. For apps running in the background, the microphone will report empty audio and all sensor events will stop firing. Applications attempting to use the camera while idle will receive system errors, so it's possible that this change may break some improperly-developed apps.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/07/android-p-feature-spotlight-google-confirms-idle-apps-cant-access-microphone-camera/

Sorry everyone!

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

including Microsoft and camera data

That awkward moment when even your autocorrect assumes you want to talk about Microsoft instead of a microphonexD

We all make mistakes, no worries. 

27 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Correction on what I said. I looked more into it, the source I was reading from was incorrect. (sorry, the last Android phone I had was before Android added Mic/Camera phone support). What Google is adding, is for apps to not be able to get any device sensor information including Microsoft and camera data if the phone is at idle state (user not using it).

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/07/android-p-feature-spotlight-google-confirms-idle-apps-cant-access-microphone-camera/

Sorry everyone!

Oh okay. I can see why you got confused.

Neat feature by the way. I guess I was wrong when I said Google "There isn't really anything Google can do about it". This seems like a really good solution to that issue.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Since when can the vendor partition be patched through the store? I thought the CDD required signing on the Vendor and System partition?

Since Oreo.

Not the entire partition but the GPU driver definitely can. I don't see why other drivers couldn't either. However I think your device implementation needs to support it and expose the update process to the play store. Otherwise it'll be an OTA update like usual.

I can't find the source but I recall Samsung doing an update of the graphics driver through the Play Store. Don't expect it to be a common thing like desktops though.

19 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

That awkward moment when even your autocorrect assumes you want to talk about Microsoft instead of a microphonexD

isn't it the same? :D

5aa14305e5d49_ScreenShot2018-03-08at10_04_32PM.png.79b6122274c490261afc730581111deb.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Well fuck the new volume slide placement.

I actually like it. It seems more out of the way to me and the fact that you can toggle do not disturb from it is cool.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

also this :

Spoiler

5aa144575adda_ScreenShot2018-03-08at10_10_03PM.png.88e61bf72685e1503735d91be72d6b53.pngMacRumors_2018-Mar-08.jpg.5cab449c2c1eb7a1699b72c334c0ee1d.jpg

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Since Oreo.

Not the entire partition but the GPU driver definitely can. I don't see why other drivers couldn't either. However I think your device implementation needs to support it and expose the update process to the play store. Otherwise it'll be an OTA update like usual.

I can't find the source but I recall Samsung doing an update of the graphics driver through the Play Store. Don't expect it to be a common thing like desktops though.

Some clarification on that talk. The vendor partition cannot be updated via the Play Store.

What you can do if the GPU driver developer designed the driver appropriately (i.e to the best of my knowledge, no current device except the Note 8 and S9), is effectively stub out the treble interface layer of your driver, link it to a system APK in the vendor partition, and handle all of the actual graphics work via a system APK. You can then update that system APK in the normal way of updating system APKs. Same kind of way as how the Nonfree and free AMD drivers share a kernel component, and just have different userspace components implimented differently.

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

It's not lacking it. It's part of stock Android that LineageOS is leveraging. GoodBytes just has no idea what he's talking about regarding this.

Ah, ok. I haven't used stock in a while if you exclude the time to put a rom on it.

52 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I actually like it. It seems more out of the way to me and the fact that you can toggle do not disturb from it is cool.

You can toggle Do Not Disturb with the volume bar in KitKat and up, by tapping the icon left to the bar. And the side bar, IMO is far more in the way.

Hopefully, OEMs will fix this with their skins.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You can toggle Do Not Disturb with the volume bar in KitKat and up, by tapping the icon left to the bar. And the side bar, IMO is far more in the way.

Try using a Pixel XL or Pixel 2 XL one handed and try adjusting the volume without a second hand. Then run the Android P(review) build. On the side is waaaaaaaaaay better than on top for one handed use.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Try using a Pixel XL or Pixel 2 XL one handed and try adjusting the volume without a second hand. Then run the Android P(review) build. On the side is waaaaaaaaaay better than on top for one handed use.

I used it one handed with both a Note 4 and a Lumia 950XL.

Top bar is superior for ambidextrous use, and my average sized hands had no issues, if I could comfortably rock the rocker, I could as comfortably use the volume bar.

So, I say again, hopefully OEMs fix this fuck up when they skin their versions.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any mobile OS has a Treble-like development platform today.

I wouldn't know, although if your point is to extend my comment to all mobile operative systems, be my guest.

19 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Looks pretty nice! Stink there aren't many pure android ROMS for my S6 though... and I doubt it'll get any support for this. 

19 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Did you get Oreo on your S6? If I understand Treble properly I think you may be able to flash any ROM onto it thanks to Treble.

I use S6 and it's been mentioned that it will get 8.0 Oreo though. Probably at summer. But it really takes them time.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Treble is just a way to bring android updates faster since it'll just update the android framework without touching the vendor interface.

image.png.f55e4f8349c69414387f7dbe5e4d8a08.png

Or something like that anyway. I'd love to get more than two major releases tbh (S7 Edge came with 6, gets 7, getting 8 and would like 9)

NICE!

finally they are fixing that... no more buying phones that get no security updates or anything

Now all they need to do is get rid of all the Java crap and allow stuff to be closer to the hardware so it becomes more efficient ^_^

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Side note, what do we think the "P" will stand for? What candy/desserts start with a "P"? I can't even think of one lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Did not realize the toggle was there lol.

As others have mentioned it's easier for one-handed use, and I feel like all across the top can block stuff out whereas being on the side feels out of the way.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I used it one handed with both a Note 4 and a Lumia 950XL.

Top bar is superior for ambidextrous use, and my average sized hands had no issues, if I could comfortably rock the rocker, I could as comfortably use the volume bar.

So, I say again, hopefully OEMs fix this fuck up when they skin their versions.

Interesting point. Hopefully they'll have an option to switch what side it is on.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Did not realize the toggle was there lol.

As others have mentioned it's easier for one-handed use, and I feel like all across the top can block stuff out whereas being on the side feels out of the way.

Interesting point. Hopefully they'll have an option to switch what side it is on.

It's like the Power button dialogue on Oreo. It appears on the same side, at the same height, as where your buttons are.

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Side note, what do we think the "P" will stand for? What candy/desserts start with a "P"? I can't even think of one lol

Pudding

Pop corn

Poundcake

etc.  Plenty to choose from really, even without getting into brand names

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Pudding

Pop corn

Poundcake

etc.  Plenty to choose from really, even without getting into brand names

Pi

52 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I use S6 and it's been mentioned that it will get 8.0 Oreo though. Probably at summer. But it really takes them time.

Last I checked that was an error and it's actually not. Samsung seems to be well known for errors on compatibility lists. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Last I checked that was an error and it's actually not. Samsung seems to be well known for errors on compatibility lists. 

Well on gsmarena it's listed that upgrade is planned though.
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-6849.php

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |