Is it feasible to drive my 5 meter 4pin led rgb strip behind my desk from an ASUS Aura rgb header on my MB?

Do you have a particular RGB strip in mind? I believe that RGB headers supply about 12V of power so you would need to check and see if the header is enough to power it. If not, it would need to be powered directly by the PSU. You would also have to look up if the strip is compatible with Aura Sync.

I would avoid pulling wires directly from your motherboard outside the case for ESD and other physical problems that could damage your MB.

That said, 5 meters must quite a large amount of power. Check the power consumption of the leds and the power delivery capabilities of your MB.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Do you have a particular RGB strip in mind? I believe that RGB headers supply about 12V of power so you would need to check and see if the header is enough to power it. You would also have to look up if the strip is compatible with Aura Sync.

idk i don't even know what kind of strip it is. I got it at a yard sale and just connected it to some random rgb controller. Why wouldn't they be compatible?

Pin1 = R, Pin2 = G, Pin3 = B, Pin4 = GND       isn't this the standart? At least every led strip i've tried worked on every rgb controller i've tried

Just now, BensurFP said:

I would avoid pulling wires directly from your motherboard outside the case for ESD and other physical problems that could damage your MB.

That said, 5 meters must quite a large amount of power. Check the power consumption of the leds and the power delivery capabilities of your MB.

I've just noticed that asus even advertises aura for supporting rgb strips up to 2m and longer (but then darker). But since strix mb's feature two aura ports, i could just cut my led strip into 2x 2.5m strips

Yes and no.

As far as I know Aura supports up to 2m compatible strips (if you go over 2m you might start loosing brightness, to the point where the strip stops working), so full 5m is a no go.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is whether you or someone else might accidently move the PC and rip the cable out, the 4-pin aura header will get damaged easily if someone forgets about diconnecting the cable.

4 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

idk i don't even know what kind of strip it is. I got it at a yard sale and just connected it to some random rgb controller. Why wouldn't they be compatible?

Pin1 = R, Pin2 = G, Pin3 = B, Pin4 = GND       isn't this the standart? At least every led strip i've tried worked on every rgb controller i've tried

It is a standard connection but the software may not necessarily be able to control it.

Just now, Arttu89 said:

Yes and no.

As far as I know Aura supports up to 2m compatible strips (if you go over 2m you might start loosing brightness, to the point where the strip stops working), so full 5m is a no go.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is whether you or someone else might accidently move the PC and rip the cable out, the 4-pin aura header will get damaged easily if someone forgets about diconnecting the cable.

my pc won't be moved except if my table crashes. this thing weighs like 40 pounds.

If i can't use 5m, can i at least use two 2.5m strips (one per aura header?)

1 hour ago, Allptraum1989 said:

my pc won't be moved except if my table crashes. this thing weighs like 40 pounds.

If i can't use 5m, can i at least use two 2.5m strips (one per aura header?)

It really comes down to the quality of the components on the strip and how tight together are the LEDs packed (i.e. some strips have 30LEDs per meter some have 60, double the LEDs  roughly doubles the power draw which halves the max length). The 2m limit is probably just a safe length Asus decided on after testing it with diffrent available strips, I wouldn't be surprised if you could go quite a bit over 2m with a good quality strip without loosing brightness, but it's difficult to say for sure without buying a bunch of strips from diffrent companies and testing who used the best LEDs.

At 2.5m my best guess is you might loose some brightness, but it should work, but it's only a guess assuming it's not a higher LED count strip.