Thoughts on 1440p (for those who are on the fence)

minervx

Text too small?

Not really an issue.  Even if so, browsers have a zoom feature.  If anything, text looks smoother.

Good for Windows?

Yes, it allows me to reduce the annoyingly oversized taskbar to something similar to Mac's menu bar size.

Scaling?

Not an issue.  If anything, it's better in many apps.

Multitasking?

Absolutely.  Chrome and MS Word side-by-side with a little room to spare.  In DAW's and video editing software to have room for both long audio/video clips and other tools in the software.

Streaming?

Improvement for sure.   On Youtube, I can full screen a video without it looking blurry or as if I'm missing fine details.

Gaming?

Very game dependent.  Realistic games will have a crispness to them and cartoony games will have more of a smoothness.  Some textures of in games may not be as detailed as you expected them to be at a higher resolution.

What monitor size should you get?

I have 24" and the pixel density is perfect, although it doesn't seem like distortion would be an issue at 27-30".  If anything, a larger size would be preferable since it would allow for more immersion without the distortion that would be had at 1080p.  But if price is a consideration, the smaller size is fine.

If I don't have a monitor should I get 1440p?

Absolutely.  They're cheap.  Under 200.  I got mine for $110.  No excuse to buy 1080p nowadays.

If I have a 1080p monitor should I upgrade to 1440p?

I wouldn't buy a new monitor just for a higher resolution, but if the 1440p monitor happens to solve another problem (i.e. superior colors, better refresh rate, larger size), it's a great reason to go 1440p.  If you're using an old 1080p monitor or television, absolutely.

Shouldn't I just get 4K instead?
If you have the money and hardware to handle it, and you're willing to go over 30", sure.  4K is definitely the future, but in the current market, it won't make a giant difference.  No problem with getting a 1440p while you wait for the 4K climate to be better.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

i got it on ebay from a best buy that was selling a floor model.  i bought my own cables.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

I got 2 philips 272s for like 205 euros inc shipping ( netherlands )

I think its fur it in every wee. More pixels the better richt:D  and easy to driver with a AMD 7950 

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

24 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Scaling? 

don't use it, makes the picture blurry (125%).

This is why you should not get a 4k monitor unless you use 200% scaling and no old programs (or bad programs like CorelDraw).

@minervx which monitor did you get for this price?

my Dell U2515H was with $200 cheap (little dent in the plastic).

the Dell P2516D with $250 at the time i got the first 1440p the cheapest with $250.

lenovo 24" ips

i dont use scaling.  i was referring to how programs scale in general