Wi-fi card turns computer back on

l_turo
Go to solution Solved by l_turo,

Replacing wifi card seems to have worked.

Hello

I just built computer with MSI Z370-A PRO and Intel core i7 8700k and I took some parts from my previous AMD PC, one of which being Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I Wi-Fi AC card. Everything works good, but computer turns itself back on whenever I shut it down either from windows, or by using power button. The only way to shut it down definitely is to flip the switch on the PSU for a second. I found out that this wi-fi card is causing this (removing card fixes the problem). Now I am out of ideas - computer is shutting down with fast boot disabled, and in UEFI settings all wake up events are disabled (or at least it says so). What else can be the cause?

You could try seeing if a setting in Device Manager can help. Device Manager > Network Adapters. Choose your wi-fi card. Then go to Power Management and uncheck "Allow this device to wake computer".

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF -- CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT -- Mobo: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5 -- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Oloy 3000 MHz -- GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1070 Black -- Case: Phanteks P600S -- Storage: 240GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe - 500GB WD Blue HDD - Hitachi 3TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM750i -- OS: Windows 10 Pro

Already tried it, doesn't change anything.

try powercfg -lastwake in cmd prompt

it should show you whats waking up the pc.

or you could change the wake on magic packet/ wake on lan in bios.

Already tried it. Had to reset some previous troubleshooting to even make computer able to sleep. As expected, wakes up immediately but alas, wake reason is logged as unknown. Issue persists even with computer stripped to bare minimum + wifi card: Removing any single connection on motherboard would make it not POST. Except for wifi card - removing it solves the problem.

Replacing wifi card seems to have worked.