Dark Rock Pro 3 - Ram Clearance

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping on getting a new motherboard, cpu and some memory but here's my dilemma. I have a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 heatsink and it gets in the way of the DDR4 ram modules. Would Corsair LPX be the only type of ram I'd be able to purchase? Are there any other types of ram I'd be able to buy. I don't really ever see "Ram height" on any spec sheets so yeah.. Thanks in advance! 

You can Google the name of the RAM you like, include "ram height", and you'll generally get your answer.

Though, since you know LPX works, why not just get it?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

LPX is standard height. Any standard height or low profile ram would fit fine. The cooler has clearance for ram up to 44mm tall if you want to use taller ram.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

44mm Max Ram clearance for the dark rock pro 3. Buy anything with a lower height than that. Just a side note that the corsair LPX dimms would work with that cooler.

My system-Core i7 6950X, AsusX99 DeluxeII, 128gb Crucial DDR4, Corsair 900D Titan X, Asus Thunderbolt EXII Card,Quadro M4000,Intel X540 network card

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You can Google the name of the RAM you like, include "ram height", and you'll generally get your answer.

Though, since you know LPX works, why not just get it?

Thanks for the reply! I was just trying to see what my options were. There's 16gb of ram for $250 CAD at 3000MHz and I was just gonna see if any of the G-Skill ram would fit.. cause they're on sale for a little less and are even faster! 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

LPX is standard height. Any standard height or low profile ram would fit fine. The cooler has clearance for ram up to 44mm tall if you want to use taller ram.

Oh it's standard?! I was always under the impression that stood for low profile. I'll have to keep searching 

7 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Thanks for the reply! I was just trying to see what my options were. There's 16gb of ram for $250 CAD at 3000MHz and I was just gonna see if any of the G-Skill ram would fit.. cause they're on sale for a little less and are even faster! 

Oh it's standard?! I was always under the impression that stood for low profile. I'll have to keep searching 

If you mean Ripjaws V, they're 42mm tall and should fit.

Yes, it's standard height. LPX does stand for low profile but that's just good marketing from Corsair. Also, their normal Vengeance ram is laughably tall. It works for them since all coolers are designed with standard height ram in the first place. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.