Is it worth buying a broken GPU?

DrDerp

So say a GPU is broken or artifacting and is on sale for a decent price on eBay.

Would that be worthwhile in getting for a rig made of used parts? I know that you can sometimes fix them with the oven trick, is it worth trying? Thanks!

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

depends on the price of the gpu and your skill level to determine if it's worth a try.

What GPU and how much? I'd say no. You don't know for a fact that you can revive it, so you're essentially gambling your money. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

If it was only that simple. Oven method isn't 100% effective and if it does, it might not last. If you can repair boards, then by all means, go nuts.

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What GPU and how much? I'd say no. You don't know for a fact that you can revive it, so you're essentially gambling your money. 

It's partially a hypothetical question ATM. I don't have much money and am trying to find a GPU for under 50 dollars that can do 900p 60FPS, so about a GTX 660, GTX 580, 760 or 750 TI. I know those all have drastically different performance but the main thing is I want it to be usable for the money, because I don't have much.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Just now, DrDerp said:

It's partially a hypothetical question ATM. I don't have much money and am trying to find a GPU for under 50 dollars that can do 900p 60FPS, so about a GTX 660, GTX 580, 760 or 750 TI. I know those all have drastically different performance but the main thing is I want it to be usable for the money, because I don't have much.

If you don't have much money, don't waste it on a card that is unlikely to work. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

If you don't have much money, don't waste it on a card that is unlikely to work. 

Got it! Thanks for the help.

If it's that tight budget as you said, maybe go for graphic cards with broken fans. With ghetto methods you can get even better results if you just slap 2 cheap 120mm fans. 

34 minutes ago, Yoola said:

If it's that tight budget as you said, maybe go for graphic cards with broken fans. With ghetto methods you can get even better results if you just slap 2 cheap 120mm fans. 

Zip ties all the way?

20 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

Zip ties all the way?

Hell yeah!