Why not every game don't use the same file protection like Gears of wars 4 has?

Randoomness

Because it costs an absolute pantload of money, I would assume.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

"Why doesn't every car have a bugatti engine?"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you really want every video game to use an always online DRM?

Gears of War 4 uses UWP for protection.  5 layer DRM is a bitch.
Fortunately, UWP was just recently cracked.

i expect this to be available within the next 6 months

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Damascus said:

When you can't decide between funny, like or informative

i do my best to be all of the above ;)

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Witcher 3's DRM system is so good that the developer never had an issue with it. No system overhead and doesn't require you to be online either.

thats because witcher 3 doesnt have any drm. which is entirely different than having good drm.

|Specs in profile|

21 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Witcher 3's DRM system is so good that the developer never had an issue with it. No system overhead and doesn't require you to be online either.

Doesn't the Witcher 3 lack DRM outside of Steam? GOG.com's tagline is that they don't use DRM... Or is that your point and I'm being an idiot...

57 minutes ago, frogfoot4 said:

Doesn't the Witcher 3 lack DRM outside of Steam? GOG.com's tagline is that they don't use DRM... Or is that your point and I'm being an idiot...

thats actually my point.  GoG is actually owned by CD Projekt Red, the developers of Witcher 3.

We released [The Witcher 3] without any copy protection. So, on day one, you could download the game from GOG, and give it to a friend (enemy as well)...and still we sold near to 10 million units across all 3 platforms. But the piracy factor was irrelevant, because we cannot force people to buy things. We can only convince them to do it.

they knew it was going to get pirated and didnt care because it was a good enough game to sell itself.

huilun02 was saying Witcher had great drm, which isnt true cuz it has none whatsoever(except steam of course). "good drm" would be something like UWP that prevents piracy. "no drm" doesnt do that.

|Specs in profile|

Back to GOW4 DRM

if everyone used the same DRM then everything would be pirated at once. 

Thats why lock lock companies make each key different. 

9 hours ago, frogfoot4 said:

Doesn't the Witcher 3 lack DRM outside of Steam?

The Steam version is also DRM free.