How to bring computer stuff on airplane

Go to solution Solved by SquintyG33Rs,
10 hours ago, fpo said:

*snip*

I used the original boxes for most things apart from hdd. With the anti static bags. I left ram and cpu in the motherboard (bax still closed fine, if yours is taller might not fit) but honestly anti static is the most important for a flight, most of the components aren't fragile enough that physical harm will damage them. 

I am flying to another country in the next 2 days and need to bring my computer with me. 

How can I bring my desktop with me? Are there any rules, or regulations? 

I feel like I can't bring my power supply due to dangerous voltages stored within. I will be staying in Asia, and currently have a USA power supply in my computer. 

Any advice? Any input? 
I want to carry on my AMD R9 390, motherboard, cpu, ram, and hard drives. 
I can't just go with a laptop as it is necessary I have these high performance components. 

So.....you're not bringing your case? I'd just pack them into a motherboard box. See if a local shop has any kicking around.

RAM, CPU can stay installed. Drives can be slipped where they usually put the cables and manuals. Video card would need another box.

You could just go with a laptop, you just don't want to spend the money. There's nothing exceptionally powerful about those components ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1. Take out graphics card (Edit: I forgot to include this, but if you have a heavy cooler/radiator that has to go too.)

2. If you are carrying the PC with you, you need to pull it out at security

3. Be careful

4. If you do decide to bring your PSU, and if your PSU has a switch on the back, then switch it to the appropriate voltage

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

I am flying to another country in the next 2 days and need to bring my computer with me. 

How can I bring my desktop with me? Are there any rules, or regulations? 

I feel like I can't bring my power supply due to dangerous voltages stored within. I will be staying in Asia, and currently have a USA power supply in my computer. 

Any advice? Any input? 
I want to carry on my AMD R9 390, motherboard, cpu, ram, and hard drives. 
I can't just go with a laptop as it is necessary I have these high performance components. 

Firstly, I would call your airline's customer service. I know friends who have transported their computers without problem, but it would be better to confirm ahead of time! Make sure to have your ticket info ready too!

Also, if the case is small, then you could possibly put it in carry-on so it doesn't get damaged when it is thrown into the luggage compartment. 

That leads to my second point, transporting a PC via air is risky. All too often luggage gets bumped, thrown, etc. 

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Firstly, I would call your airline's customer service. I know friends who have transported their computers without problem, but it would be better to confirm ahead of time! Make sure to have your ticket info ready too!

Also, if the case is small, then you could possibly put it in carry-on so it doesn't get damaged when it is thrown into the luggage compartment. 

That leads to my second point, transporting a PC via air is risky. All too often luggage gets bumped, thrown, etc. 

With regards to danger, it should be noted that there are plenty of videos online of people who work at airlines just tossing baggage around 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just call it your Emotional Support Computer and you'll be fine! :P

In my experience you'll be fine so long as your rig meets luggage size restrictions. Your bigger problem is protecting the computer from getting roughed up during loading and unloading.

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

you can bring it all onboard there is no such regulations. i've done it before. they'll just x ray the boxes individually. I left the case back home cause it's just too big and had stuff in their individual boxes cause that was the safest way of carrying them

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

With regards to danger, it should be noted that there are plenty of videos online of people who work at airlines just tossing baggage around 

Exactly my point. I've seen it myself. Nothing against those teams who do it though; its a tough job with pretty tight time constraints.

How long are you going for?

If it's just a trip, don't bother. If it's a few months, then maybe reconsider. I moved to Germany for a year during school and left my computer back home; I took a basic laptop and that was it.

Everyone, 

will the scanners erase my hard drive data? Do I have to worry? Should I get a new hard drive to be safe and just install windows and whatever after I get there? I can’t lose my files. 

@dizmo

Spoiler

I think I’ll buy a case as it’s be way cheaper than burning luggage space. 

My laptop is underpowered for what I need to do. 2014 Mobile don’t compare to last generation top of line consumer graphics. 

@Shreyas1

Spoiler

I am thinking of fully disassembling. 

Thanks for voltage reminder!!! I’ll have to check what voltage is in the country I’m going to. 

@CrippledROBOT

Spoiler

I want to carry on so I can be in charge of it. My graphics card could get “lost” or just taken if I put it under

I’ll also be positive I can take it with me and check the airline regulations. Thank you. 

@Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl

Spoiler

I was curious if people had any tips to protect my components if I disassembled them and brought them with me. 

@SquintyG33Rs

Spoiler

I want to disassemble it. Do you have any tips of how to package the Graphics cards, motherboards and whatnot to put in carry on luggage? 

Also, do the X-ray wipe hard drives? I don’t want to lose my data. If it’s better I can just buy a new hard drive and do it that way if it’s safer. 

@bimmerman

Spoiler

I’m going for several months and need the powerful components. My laptop is simply not good enough to work efficiently enough. I can’t be waiting around and having my laptop overheating. 

20 minutes ago, fpo said:

Everyone, 

will the scanners erase my hard drive data? Do I have to worry? Should I get a new hard drive to be safe and just install windows and whatever after I get there? I can’t lose my files. 

@dizmo

Reveal hidden contents

I think I’ll buy a case as it’s be way cheaper than burning luggage space. 

My laptop is underpowered for what I need to do. 2014 Mobile don’t compare to last generation top of line consumer graphics. 

@Shreyas1

Reveal hidden contents

I am thinking of fully disassembling. 

Thanks for voltage reminder!!! I’ll have to check what voltage is in the country I’m going to. 

@CrippledROBOT

Reveal hidden contents

I want to carry on so I can be in charge of it. My graphics card could get “lost” or just taken if I put it under

I’ll also be positive I can take it with me and check the airline regulations. Thank you. 

Reveal hidden contents

I was curious if people had any tips to protect my components if I disassembled them and brought them with me. 

@SquintyG33Rs

Reveal hidden contents

I want to disassemble it. Do you have any tips of how to package the Graphics cards, motherboards and whatnot to put in carry on luggage? 

Also, do the X-ray wipe hard drives? I don’t want to lose my data. If it’s better I can just buy a new hard drive and do it that way if it’s safer. 

@bimmerman

Reveal hidden contents

I’m going for several months and need the powerful components. My laptop is simply not good enough to work efficiently enough. I can’t be waiting around and having my laptop overheating. 

No airport scanners (Which is an x-ray) will not harm your HDD. It will be fine :)

Also if the data is very important i would advice you back it up prior to traveling, just to be safe!

3 minutes ago, Rishum said:

No airport scanners (Which is an x-ray) will not harm your HDD. It will be fine :)

Also if the data is very important i would advice you back it up prior to traveling, just to be safe!

That’s a good idea. I forgot that backups are a thing. 

I think I’ll clone my hdd to a 2 tb hard drive or something from a 1tb just so I have ample space and don’t have to risk the originals. 

8 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

1. Take out graphics card (Edit: I forgot to include this, but if you have a heavy cooler/radiator that has to go too.)

2. If you are carrying the PC with you, you need to pull it out at security

3. Be careful

4. If you do decide to bring your PSU, and if your PSU has a switch on the back, then switch it to the appropriate voltage

This, I can't stress this enough. a case has to be designed for travel if it has heavy components in it or they will break off potentially destroying everything else in the case (Thank you ups)

I'd go for a case that's small enough to be a carry on. The smaller the better, just make sure you grab a durable case. Solid states are also a pretty good go to if you travel frequently.

6 hours ago, Mail me to the Moon said:

This, I can't stress this enough. a case has to be designed for travel if it has heavy components in it or they will break off potentially destroying everything else in the case (Thank you ups)

I'd go for a case that's small enough to be a carry on. The smaller the better, just make sure you grab a durable case. Solid states are also a pretty good go to if you travel frequently.

I want to disassemble the computer and bring it with me. 

I have transported PC parts plenty of times with the plane. Usually I just put the graphics card in its original box and the hdd's and such well protected/packed into boxes too. Carefull with the mobo. Be prepared to be asked to show to the scanner people what you are carrying.

9 hours ago, fpo said:

Everyone, 

Reveal hidden contents

OH! I missed that! Usually I just wrap my expensive stuff in my clothes and try to center them in the middle of the suitcase so the rest of the clothes act like a buffer. :)

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

10 hours ago, fpo said:

*snip*

I used the original boxes for most things apart from hdd. With the anti static bags. I left ram and cpu in the motherboard (bax still closed fine, if yours is taller might not fit) but honestly anti static is the most important for a flight, most of the components aren't fragile enough that physical harm will damage them. 

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

18 hours ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

Just call it your Emotional Support Computer and you'll be fine! :P

In my experience you'll be fine so long as your rig meets luggage size restrictions. Your bigger problem is protecting the computer from getting roughed up during loading and unloading.

What if they make him flush it down the toilet? =P

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Thanks! That seems like the best idea to bring it. 

Thank you to everyone. You all helped out a lot!!!

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Thanks! That seems like the best idea to bring it. 

Thank you to everyone. You all helped out a lot!!!

And not sure if i was clear this was all carry on. I wouldn't trust putting it in checked in luggage unless in some fancy custom packaging like the system builders use for shipping.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)