is it really better to have ssd as a boot drive?

Venrico

I have a OCZ revo 3 (110GB) pci SSD assigned as my boot drive and a Western digital 7200rpm 1TB drive for programs and it also has a partition for windows cache. my question is could it provide better performance for my programs if I installed my current OS Win10 to my 7200rpm drive an use my SSD primarily as a partition for windows cache? my thought is the SSD would be faster than the 7200rpm drive at being a cache device and would make my programs faster and more responsive. if it helps the main program I'm using is NOX an android emulator and it seem to be running a bit slow so I'm searching out options.

Thanks for any time you take on this and and advice your able to provide.

You'll want your OS and software to run from the SSD as it provides significantly faster access times and much higher random read and write performance when it comes to small files, which Windows and most software exist of.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

as I would love to have an SSD large enough to service all my OS and software data I am trying to use what I have at hand.

Run NOX on a usb drive or set up a ram disk for it. I would not move Windows off of the ssd.. Or you could look for a cheap ass 32 gig ssd or such to run it on.

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

ssds are the way to go for bootdrives. I'm not going back to hdds, too slow. Sure I could just start-up the pc, go do something during a minute and come back, but I prefer touching the button, and by the time i'm sitting it's on and ready to go.