Can someone give me the lowdown on Blender?

Apepa

Hey,

So about 10-15 years ago I used to like to mess around with 3D modelling using an old cracked copy of Lightwave 3D. I wouldn't mind getting back into it.

So I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me how Blender compares to other 3D creation apps now? And would it be a difficult adjustment for me to make coming from LW? Is it pretty functional out of the box or would I need to spend hours fishing for plug-in settings?

Thanks

The UI is a very steep learning curve but it’s very fast and smooth once you know it. Comparing it to C4D, C4D is a bit simpler to begin with but using the UI is very slow. 

Not that experienced with Maya 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

The UI is a very steep learning curve but it’s very fast and smooth once you know it. Comparing it to C4D, C4D is a bit simpler to begin with but using the UI is very slow. 

Not that experienced with Maya 

Agree about the massively steep learning curve. Even experts occasionally find various odds and ends that they didn't know about, and may even cut down render times. Though it is extremely versatile and offers numerous features. While there are plug-ins already built in that are quite useful in saving time(like a tree or ivy generator), you needn't use them if you've no desire to. Right out of the box, you get the excellent Cycles engine, which can utilize GPU hardware for acceleration.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

46 minutes ago, Apepa said:

So I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me how Blender compares to other 3D creation apps now?

It's like binary - powerful enough to do anything in it once you learn how, but taking the time to learn it will turn that sentiment of "$800-$1600 is too much!" into "my time and life do have some value that I would like to discover" fairly quickly.