240mm custom loop or 360mm aio

hi guy i planning to go water cooling but for the budget i have i can either go custom loop but 240mm radiator or 360mm radiator but is aio cooler which one have better cooling performance using a 4790k also i have no intention on using gpu block so i going for aluminum water cooling will do.These are the product i planing to go with.Both price almost the same in my country with shipping 

for 360mm:  http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00003122 

OR   

for 240mm:  https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240

Custom. because when a part will fail you'll just replace it and nothing else. it doesn't have a set life span like an AIO does. the performance shouldn't be very different the better pump and much higher fluid volume (thermal mass) should make up for the smaller rad.

you just lose RGB.... but i don't think the TT aio looks all that great. infinity mirror on the nzxt ones is much cooler and those are 280mm which also ends up comparable to 360

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

240mm all the way

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

22 minutes ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

hi guy i planning to go water cooling but for the budget i have i can either go custom loop but 240mm radiator or 360mm radiator but is aio cooler which one have better cooling performance using a 4790k also i have no intention on using gpu block so i going for aluminum water cooling will do.These are the product i planing to go with.Both price almost the same in my country with shipping 

for 360mm:  http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00003122 

OR   

for 240mm:  https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240

Go for custom tho i suggest you to do it yourself and not the fluid gaming kit from EK, because you can expand it better in the future.

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

I bought the CoolerMaster 240RGB AIO for my RYZEN 1600, its amazing and for $60....i think its worth it...i never exceed 60c with fans set to silent. It all depends on how much you wanna spend....

Just now, itzsnookums said:

I bought the CoolerMaster 240RGB AIO for my RYZEN 1600, its amazing and for $60....i think its worth it...i never exceed 60c with fans set to silent. It all depends on how much you wanna spend....

-air coolers better for same price

-it's leaky in a larger margin of coolers than i would prefer...

The ones he's talking about are in a completely different performance and cost category.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

eventough i have a full custom loop, an AIO is definitely easier to work with.

if you don't mind the extra mantenance that comes with a custom loop, then it is definitely the best looking option tough.

240mm custom seeing as you get a more proper block, pump, res and rad. I'd look into used watercooling parts in copper though so you have an upgrade path beyond being locked to EK

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Why not custom loop with 360?

The more the merrier!

price and i still having a hard time finding a suitable atx case

2 hours ago, joshuawi99 said:

Go for custom tho i suggest you to do it yourself and not the fluid gaming kit from EK, because you can expand it better in the future.

ek kits can also expand and add gpu block further(just maybe need more tubing).I currently have no plan for gpu block and i already have a hard time researching which case can suit in a 30 cm gpu and the space for reservoir and radiator.So the kit can save me time and headache beside this is my first time so ya

Take a look at the Alphacool Eisbaer LT.

It will give you one of the best AiO's on the market for only 100bucks while having the chance to upgrade it to a full custom loop, well you can atleast use the 25mm thick full copper radiator later on. No need for going aluminium crap ;P

https://www.alphacool.com/eisbaer-lt

Test:

https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-eisbaer-lt-360-cpu-liquid-cooler-review/

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

The Fluid gaming kit will probably perform a tad better at a lower noise level. The main thing you're gaining with the ek loop is a better pump (it's probably the 3.2 ddc that they throw in most of the low end kits) and the vardar fans are probably better built and designed fans. As someone who's spent a small fortune over the years on cooling parts the fluid gaming kit could be a dangerous gateway drug into custom water cooling which could be good or bad.xD 

But overall:

• Performance will probably be within a couple degrees of each other for cooling just a cpu. (although the kit will have the potential to be a bit quieter)
  • The aio will be probably half the price?
  • The aio will require less maintenance. (no cleaning blocks, yearly fluid change/maintenance, dealing with plasticizer, corrosion, ect. ect. that come with a loop)
  • It's honestly a crap shoot on longevity. I know a couple people still running aios they originally put on their 9-10 year old x58 platform and people that have had high end pumps die on them after a couple years and vice versa. I will have to say that I've had great service any time I've had to contact EK for anything which is more than I can say for a lot of companies out there so there's that.

In my eyes it sort of comes down to what you feel like messing with and the look you're going for to be honest. I can tell you from being one and knowing quite a few "water cooling enthusiasts" We don't build custom loops because it's the best bang for your buck. It's more just another hobby for your hobby. Spending $1500 to lower temps 5 degrees over what a couple hundred in aios or air coolers can do is not something you do for many practical reasons. (but we still do it) 9_9

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker