1151 De-lidding question

There are a lot of other posts on delidding I know but I've been researching and I'd like to run my plan past some folks to see if I'm crazy:

Delidding tool: Rockit 88 Delid & Relid (https://www.amazon.com/Rockit-88-Delid-Relid-1150/dp/B06WVYL61Q)

New TIM: Conductonaut (https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Conductonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B01A9KIGSI#customerReviews)
Silicon Sealant: Permatex 82180 (http://a.co/7ghd7gm)

My plan:

Delid i7700k
Cover up electrical components to protect from liquid metal seepage and drips.   I saw a LTT video where they put electrical tape over some of the surrounding components next to the die.  Should I do that or should I use some of this silicon sealant to coat those components?  I suppose if I go the Silicon route it will prevent me from undoing that but my issue with electrical tape is what happens longer term (5-7 years) with the electrical tape?  
Make a gasket with sealant.  For this step, it doesn't look like it needs to be heat treated to make its gasket, am I wrong here?

Am I nuts or does this seem like a decent plan?

Let me know how this goes, I want to delid my 7700k. I now its worth it, but im skeptical to do It myself. 

Its an incredibly hot chip

well.. first off, if the possibility of a spill deeply worries you, chances are liquid metal isnt your thing.

past that, if you can get your hands on conformal coating, thats defenately the way to go. delidding will void your warranty anyways, may as well void it good.

as for the longer term thing.. i went to look for the longer term impact of liquid metal itself... and it is essentially undocumented terretory past a year or so. as for electrical tape specificly... bad idea, that shit is like bacon when hot. if you want something that'll last, i'd presonally recommend kapton tape (the shiny orange-y translucent stuff).

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well.. first off, if the possibility of a spill deeply worries you, chances are liquid metal isnt your thing.

past that, if you can get your hands on conformal coating, thats defenately the way to go. delidding will void your warranty anyways, may as well void it good.

as for the longer term thing.. i went to look for the longer term impact of liquid metal itself... and it is essentially undocumented terretory past a year or so. as for electrical tape specificly... bad idea, that shit is like bacon when hot. if you want something that'll last, i'd presonally recommend kapton tape (the shiny orange-y translucent stuff).

I just watched another vid, looks like the 7700k doesn't have any components to touch anyway, its all die under there and its all covered with what looks like a coating.  So I guess I don't have to worry about this.  

I plan on going slow and steady, so no the spilling doesn't "deeply worry" me, its just a concern. 

So what exactly is the conformal coating doing?  Is that for the gasket?  Also, why use this stuff when the silicon material I listed works with such a variance of temps?

Thanks for the reply!

1 minute ago, whoopn said:

I just watched another vid, looks like the 7700k doesn't have any components to touch anyway, its all die under there and its all covered with what looks like a coating.  So I guess I don't have to worry about this.  

I plan on going slow and steady, so no the spilling doesn't "deeply worry" me, its just a concern. 

So what exactly is the conformal coating doing?  Is that for the gasket?  Also, why use this stuff when the silicon material I listed works with such a variance of temps?

Thanks for the reply!

conformal coating is essentially the same thing as the green "paint" thats already on the PCB.

Just now, manikyath said:

conformal coating is essentially the same thing as the green "paint" thats already on the PCB.

Ah!  Ok that makes sense.  Thanks

1 hour ago, whoopn said:

There are a lot of other posts on delidding I know but I've been researching and I'd like to run my plan past some folks to see if I'm crazy:

Delidding tool: Rockit 88 Delid & Relid (https://www.amazon.com/Rockit-88-Delid-Relid-1150/dp/B06WVYL61Q)

New TIM: Conductonaut (https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Conductonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B01A9KIGSI#customerReviews)
Silicon Sealant: Permatex 82180 (http://a.co/7ghd7gm)

My plan:

Delid i7700k
Cover up electrical components to protect from liquid metal seepage and drips.   I saw a LTT video where they put electrical tape over some of the surrounding components next to the die.  Should I do that or should I use some of this silicon sealant to coat those components?  I suppose if I go the Silicon route it will prevent me from undoing that but my issue with electrical tape is what happens longer term (5-7 years) with the electrical tape?  
Make a gasket with sealant.  For this step, it doesn't look like it needs to be heat treated to make its gasket, am I wrong here?

Am I nuts or does this seem like a decent plan?

sounds like a plan to me.

i wouldn't use silicon on transistors, i delidded my 4790k and 8700k and i used kapton tape on any sensitive components.

with the 4790k i delid, it has allot of transistors next to the die compared to the new cpu's, from 6gen and up next to the die there will be 4 little golden dots but they are not super close to the die, if you are worried about those you can use kapton tape, nail polish or a bit of non conductive thermal paste to cover them.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

A lot of useful info here.

I'm also thinking about deliding my 6700K and I want to soak up as much information as I can before I take the plunge.

---