Military Surprise

ccm1092

The etched panel looks great mounted on the case. Very nice.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

The etched panel looks great mounted on the case. Very nice.

Indeed, the first time I have mounted it since I got the glass engraved, can't wait to get the build on!! Still been hoping for a sponsor but don't think it will happen, O well. 

That moment when you think you are "done" with a project only to realize that you forgot something.... This happened to me with the project for my brother. I realized when reassembling the case that I totally forgot to paint the back panel.... LUL.
Whoops, primed it yesterday with the first coat primer and just laid down the first coat of black.

#pc #paint #diy #lol

20180412_152125.thumb.jpg.f79babcb769724470f66eb2ea61b448d.jpg20180412_152120.thumb.jpg.d871af384812bd42e0c01e3c070313d3.jpg

Just wet-sanded the back panel. Look at that shine!!! Biggest issue I am having atm is 3 spots on one side have a little bit of paint drippage. Did my best with the wet-sanding, will see how it looks after another coat of black maybe tomorrow or Thursday.
#paint #diy #hardware

20180416_184431.jpg

Oh my that is very shiny!

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

Oh my that is very shiny!

Indeed! Can't wait to see it dry. Doing my best to take my time between coats and sanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not one to ever ask for help when it comes to personal projects due to me just being who I am. I had been talking with a member from another community who wishes to remain anonymous about helping with a Military Police Logo sticker for the front of the case about 2 weeks ago ish? Not only did this individual make them and send 3 of them, but they also sent me the CPU and MOBO for his build. I am eternally grateful for this amazing act of kindness. I have never been got in this fashion before and I am at a loss for words other than Thank YOU! Along with those items coming in while I was in Raleigh yesterday, I had also ordered the Ifixit 112 Piece Manta bit kit to upgrade the original Ifixit kit I already have. Also a side by side comparison of the 2 kits. Getting so close to being able to actually do the system build, probably over the summer, of course it will be live streamed.

20180429_152130.thumb.jpg.3c95d42ebf5694e83a77ee6d4921858d.jpg

20180429_151919.thumb.jpg.bff32faa411175f4cd934c5df535e7c6.jpg

No update on the last bit of the paint job as it has been raining the last week, I will hopefully get the back panel repainted this week. At least that is the plan at this moment!

Wow, such generosity. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I did a 15 month tour to Iraq back in 2007-2008 with the 10th mountain div. Lemme tell you, youre an awesome brother. It'll be nice for him to come home to that.

6 hours ago, HUSKER222 said:

I did a 15 month tour to Iraq back in 2007-2008 with the 10th mountain div. Lemme tell you, youre an awesome brother. It'll be nice for him to come home to that.

Thank you for your Service Husker, I am thankful for it. those 15 months must have been the hardest 15 months you've ever had.

Added the sticker on the front Panel, along with figuring the placement for the name badge, still need to get the other side of the Velcro as the name badge did not come with it.... and I still need to get his rank patch which is E5, He is working towards E6 atm.

20180430_191742.thumb.jpg.b7d9bc93040fc5bccead4f0e012b9d2d.jpg

I am thankful for multiple stickers as it did take me 2 tries to get it where I want it.

Build Happens this weekend, If you want to watch me build it live come check me out on twitch.com/ccm1092. Not sure what time I will be going live yet probably sometime mid morning EST.

Picked up a 250gb 960 evo from bestbuy, was wanting to get a 500gb but they were out so yeah. the 256gb one was only 133 so I will take it. If he wants to add more later on that's fine :) Ram is not shown as it comes in tomorrow, I opted for 2x8gb kit of the Corsair vengeance RGB 3000 MHZ, instead of the trident Z as this was cheaper. I wanted the 3200 but I think this will do fine. 

I still need to order the Rank Badge from online, simply have not had time as of yet. I was thinking about adding an American Flag Sticker on the PSU shroud what do you think? Maybe an AR-15 painted like the US flag?

20180502_180932.thumb.jpg.b97f916a69dfa683fd1de9f2a8a8c78f.jpg

This photo is some of the paint I bought for this As I was not sure how much I needed or what I wanted to do overall. I got it cheaper as I work for Fastenal and get better pricing as an employee.

20180501_193240.thumb.jpg.7382f9f79f5f8e4a72aca511eb2f8fa9.jpg

Thanks for following my journey so far. I really learned a lot and would love to do it again!

- Christopher.

I think a simple flag decal is more in keeping with the look. 

As someone who is also doing a new build while selling their house, I feel your pain!  But you went the extra mile with that painting setup.  The results speak for themselves. Nice job!

6 hours ago, Mr_Armageddon said:

As someone who is also doing a new build while selling their house, I feel your pain!  But you went the extra mile with that painting setup.  The results speak for themselves. Nice job!

Thank you! We have had the house listed for about 5 months so far. A few bites but no serious offers, a couple low ball offers and I mean LOW offers. I do still life with my parents due to no full-time job, however I work full time. Been really discouraging for my parents that we have been unable to get a solid offer. I hope your house sale goes much better than what we have been experiencing!

Initial post build photos

Things I still need to get

1) Custom sleeved cable extensions: From @CableMod; Here's what I will be getting https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/#cfgload:5aea66a1a0ee70.09869335

2) I still need his rank badge for the front of the case

3) I still need to get an American flag sticker for the PSU shroud as I feel that potion of the case just needs something

4) I also plan on adding maybe 1 more fan and some @CableMod UV/RGB lights

5) Potentially monitor, mouse, keyboard for wherever he will be using it, they (brother and his wife) have a smallish house about 1000sq ft. He might end up using this as an HTPC but not sure yet. He isn't slated to be home until November time frame, I have time to finish everything I would like to do :)

Edit here is the actual parts list used: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCqTJ8

I did not hook up the HDMI pass through as I do not think he will need it, but not sure as of yet. I need to get some better photos in natural light but it is overcast today and want a bright day to take the photo's.

Keep in mind there is no dedicated GPU at this time as I am using the Ryzen 2400g, leaving that for him if he wants to upgrade in the future, also could not use a 4x4 kit of ram due to cooler clearance with the first ram slot. 

Stay tuned for better photos!

20180505_111407.thumb.jpg.6e4397161be7fc6a7610e98fc147cdc2.jpg

20180505_111441.thumb.jpg.aaef59898fc6079ee42d719f6f924ab3.jpg

20180505_110600.thumb.jpg.11301afe263adbc5a80849cb0c1060f6.jpg

Edited by ccm1092

As much as I am happy with how the back panel turned out I think I am going to get it wrapped in something really cool. I decided this due to a chip in the paint and a few high spots that if I were to redo might pop back up.

Got a sign place here in town I think has the perfect vinyl for what I'm doing. This wrap is almost holographic and I think will add a really nice touch to the case overall.

It pretty much changes the shade of the colors based upon how much light hits it and where.

20180511_141509.thumb.jpg.00d2f035fdb364121ccaa160df857221.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting on the wrap from 3M and it arrived today, the area rep had told me it would be roughly 5feet wide by 60in long. Wellllll.... it is slightly longer than 60in long. Try 15 feet long. I am so thankful and excited to get nates computer finished. That's 75sq feet of wrap! I was expecting 15-20 sq feet!
#thankful #gift #3M
Also kitty approves! 

IMG_20180614_172622_513.thumb.jpg.05102919b490a2fb92cfaae2e72f195e.jpg20180614_174857.thumb.jpg.8a0e2ebb3047f6c68834820db69bef4e.jpg

I will try and get it installed this weekend and try and get some finished photos too!

My first attempt at getting the wrap on was a failure... I do like how it looks overall but I am going to have a professional install it and allow him to purchase the rest of what I have for a discounted price.

I would try again but I hate being wasteful. Hopefully the shop will let me watch and see how it's done properly.

20180619_170457.thumb.jpg.724938e57f112476bbcac2731bc0f9e0.jpg

It is going to look awesome.

2 hours ago, brob said:

It is going to look awesome.

Yeah I can't wait to have it fully done!

I use to wrap cars, its a lot easier than you think and if you do want to try again maybe I can help you out. First you don't apply the wrap dry, get a spray bottle with water and a small bit of dish soap and spray the panel and the sticky side of the wrap after you cut it to size of course. Apply the wrap and squeegee out the water, be careful not to scratch the top side of the vinyl though, I would use a microfiber cloth with a credit card for a small piece like that. You could also spray the top side of the wrap with the water as well to help prevent snags or scratches. then just let it sit and dry out. I see a heat gun in your photo, only use that for the edges when you stretch it around