Military Surprise

ccm1092
9 hours ago, TekRed said:

I use to wrap cars, its a lot easier than you think and if you do want to try again maybe I can help you out. First you don't apply the wrap dry, get a spray bottle with water and a small bit of dish soap and spray the panel and the sticky side of the wrap after you cut it to size of course. Apply the wrap and squeegee out the water, be careful not to scratch the top side of the vinyl though, I would use a microfiber cloth with a credit card for a small piece like that. You could also spray the top side of the wrap with the water as well to help prevent snags or scratches. then just let it sit and dry out. I see a heat gun in your photo, only use that for the edges when you stretch it around

Thanks for the advice, but I am going for the time let a professional do the work. I have heard mixed feelings about the soapy water though, the other big issue is a lack of a really sharp blade, I have a couple of decently sharp knives but I don't have anything you know scalpel sharp at this moment. Yeah I borrowed the heat gun from one of my jobs but I was doing it wrong lol. Again for this time I will let the professionals do the work :) I still have roughly 65ish sq feet of wrap left after the shop uses what I have. I am hoping to sell the rest of the wrap and help offset some of the other costs but we shall see.

I have limited time between 2 jobs and stuff. It will be around 40$ for the wrap to be applied and I will pick it up next week. I am in no rush for it either, I however can't wait to get some killer photos with it done. I am thinking of taking some pictures at the National Guard Armory with some of the trucks ect... I have a couple other ideas but I will leave them as ideas for now. 

Again thanks for the suggestion Tek!

48 minutes ago, ccm1092 said:

Thanks for the advice, but I am going for the time let a professional do the work. I have heard mixed feelings about the soapy water though, the other big issue is a lack of a really sharp blade, I have a couple of decently sharp knives but I don't have anything you know scalpel sharp at this moment. Yeah I borrowed the heat gun from one of my jobs but I was doing it wrong lol. Again for this time I will let the professionals do the work :) I still have roughly 65ish sq feet of wrap left after the shop uses what I have. I am hoping to sell the rest of the wrap and help offset some of the other costs but we shall see.

I have limited time between 2 jobs and stuff. It will be around 40$ for the wrap to be applied and I will pick it up next week. I am in no rush for it either, I however can't wait to get some killer photos with it done. I am thinking of taking some pictures at the National Guard Armory with some of the trucks ect... I have a couple other ideas but I will leave them as ideas for now. 

Again thanks for the suggestion Tek!

Yeah i guess it does take practice, it took me a while to get proficient at it. looking forward to seeing the finished product, im sure your brother will be stoked. I was in the Marines for 10 years but was medically separated before i could retire, life goes on. Box cutters are only a few bucks just so ya know lol. BTW that wrap does look awesome

• 2 months later...

After months of work I finally mostly finished my brothers computer. Still waiting on my sister-in-law to get me his rank patch as I have not had the money to purchase one. I mean why buy one when I can get it free lol. Last step was getting the rear panel wrapped with the 3M Shadow Black wrap, man it looks good!
He might be swapping branches so I might have to do a color change and a new glass panel if my brother wants me to do it. Excited to finally have it done, so much work, (the paint booth is still standing after months of not touching it ha!
Thanks to everyone for the help and support and those who helped donate parts to make it possible! Thank you all again!
Full part list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCqTJ8
I still have not loaded windows as I have not had time or money to get a key at this moment but it will get done before he gets home. I want to get some better photos but we have had a lot of rain lately and between 2 jobs I have not had time to get more professional looking photos. But I wanted to share with you all the progress as it stands!

20180817_204150.thumb.jpg.bb796c1a2a07c6aa0f10e2b3893667aa.jpg

20180817_204214.thumb.jpg.d5905a7a27d992a5f9f171d291fc5fdb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The day has finally come when I finally get to announce that my brother is home and I have gotten windows installed and done a couple benchmarks at the moment. I will be doing more tomorrow but this is what I got. I have not given it to him yet, not sure when I will be seeing him but I suspect sometime soonish.
I just did the Resident Evil and 3D Mark Skydiver this evening. I plan on doing cinibench and firestrike and timespy tomorrow afternoonish.

9267ce9e69_l.thumb.jpg.22d92eda01af4b1d8bba276f3a28e88c.jpg

9267ceea94_l.jpg.af3d226d5b605980d6cbd65234186792.jpg

9267ce21f1_l.jpg.0d2f57a888e75222109669ec995e1a84.jpg

I've been wondering how things were going. Somehow I missed your August post. Glad to see it finished. Sure looks good.

Happy to see that your brother is home.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks man.

Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. Not sure how but 2 scratches appeared on the front of the case. I have been so careful that it's just aggravating. I could attempt to cover it up but I dont want to risk making it worse... gahhh.

The artist always sees his work with a more critical eye. He sees the imperfections while others see the perfection :).

2 hours ago, brob said:

The artist always sees his work with a more critical eye. He sees the imperfections while others see the perfection :).

Thank you for that :) I still wish I could fix it cause I know it's there hahaa

This might be the final post before I give it to him.

15389468079066173803118278916521.thumb.jpg.21deadca55efcdb8d2beeaa469133ac1.jpg

Well this double posted not sure how to delete it.....

1 minute ago, ccm1092 said:

Well this double posted not sure how to delete it.....

Report the one you want deleted. (Click the triangle with the exclamation mark.) Or, edit one and delete the contents.