Need a new case for travelling (rip)

Hi, I need suggestions for a new case. I'm going on exchange to Calgary for a while and I need to take my computer for uni work (and games). My current case is way too big, so I wanna get a small, compact case that allows for a:

- Full-size GPU

- 240mm rad (that'd be ideal but probably isn't gonna happen)

- 2 HDDs, 1 SSD

I'm not picky about the form factor. I'm obviously trying to re-use as many parts as possible but my motherboard has been mcfucked for a while so I'm happy to get a new, smaller one.

No budget at this point. Just don't suggest something dripping in gold and I should be fine, cases aren't that expensive.

Thanks in advance.

What about the Fractal Design Define Nano S?

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

7 minutes ago, SlackAssassin said:

This case looks amazing but wouldn't the cooling totally suck

I don't think it's that bad, I know Tek Syndicate did a build in this case a few years ago.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

10 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

What about the Fractal Design Define Nano S?

Nice case, basically ticks most of my boxes for sure. I'm a bit worried about how much I can move it around though, still looks pretty big.

I had an itx system with a Supressor F1 case, it is boxy but surprisingly confortable for demos and college, but you won't be able to fit a 240 rad, I had to use a Cryorig H7, and you might have trouble fitting a large gpu too, However if you have a smaller card such as the EVGA 1050ti I had, it's a solid option :)

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

what's the maximum dimensional limit? coz like you can buy a big-ass case and still call it "portable" or "for-travel" if you have a car ahahaha

Checkout the Silverstone SG13 (box-type) and the ML08 (briefcase with handle). Both ITX and around 12L. They can house big GPUs.

An alternative to the ML08 woud be the Fractal Design Node 202 which I think is a bit cheaper but is more organized than the ML08

Obviously these options will not house a 240mm rad.

There may also be a ton of HDD/SSD limitations so do check them out (e.g. the ML08 only has 2.5" 9.5mm THK slots)

Next in size would be the 20L Cougar QBX. This is probably the most ideal as you'll be able to fit most (if not all) of your components in this case.

Do note of the clearances though ESPECIALLY if you're gonna be reusing your ATX PSU.

AFAIK you can fit a 240mm rad here SOMEWHERE haha

Sizing up another time and going to mATX, the 25L InWin 301. It's probably the smallest commercially available mATX case that can house big GPUs.

It does however cut corners on air flow as it isn't as airflow optimized as other bigger options.

Lastly, just for kicks, the 36L BitFenix Prodigy M. Just cause it's pretty and has handles. Do note that the handles are kinda soft and will probably break over time. I really wouldn't recommend this case if you travel alot. You can check out the Phenom M which is its no-handle sibling.

Also the softouch material degrades easily.

If you have any questions about the cases above, I'd be glad to answer them.

I've owned the SG13 the ML08 and the Phenom M. The others, just part of my research when I was still looking for cases.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

11 hours ago, Hashiba said:

I had an itx system with a Supressor F1 case, it is boxy but surprisingly confortable for demos and college, but you won't be able to fit a 240 rad, I had to use a Cryorig H7, and you might have trouble fitting a large gpu too, However if you have a smaller card such as the EVGA 1050ti I had, it's a solid option :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out

10 hours ago, Noyu said:

what's the maximum dimensional limit? coz like you can buy a big-ass case and still call it "portable" or "for-travel" if you have a car ahahaha

Checkout the Silverstone SG13 (box-type) and the ML08 (briefcase with handle). Both ITX and around 12L. They can house big GPUs.

An alternative to the ML08 woud be the Fractal Design Node 202 which I think is a bit cheaper but is more organized than the ML08

There may also be a ton of HDD/SSD limitations so do check them out (e.g. the ML08 only has 2.5" 9.5mm THK slots)

Next in size would be the 20L Cougar QBX. This is probably the most ideal as you'll be able to fit most (if not all) of your components in this case.

Do note of the clearances though ESPECIALLY if you're gonna be reusing your ATX PSU.

Sizing up another time and going to mATX, the 25L InWin 301. It's probably the smallest commercially available mATX case that can house big GPUs.

It does however cut corners on air flow as it isn't as airflow optimized as other bigger options.

Lastly, just for kicks, the 36L BitFenix Prodigy M. Just cause it's pretty and has handles. Do note that the handles are kinda soft and will probably break over time. I really wouldn't recommend this case if you travel alot. You can check out the Phenom M which is its no-handle sibling.

I've owned the SG13 the ML08 and the Phenom M. The others, just part of my research when I was still looking for cases.

Damn you really know your cases, I'll check these out now and come back with questions.

Thanks for the help & suggestions; really useful stuff!

18 minutes ago, SlackAssassin said:

Damn you really know your cases, I'll check these out now and come back with questions.

Thanks for the help & suggestions; really useful stuff!

I just like smol cases that's all ahahaha

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

11 hours ago, Noyu said:

Alright I've watched a load of reviews for all those cases and I think I've narrowed down my search to the Fractal Design Define S Nano, the Lian Li PC-TU200B and the In Win 301.

I can already tell I'm leaning toward the In Win 301; that thing caught my eye instantly and the design pattern for the intake on the side is really attractive. As you said, the cooling could be an issue but the intakes at the bottom should handle the heat moderately. The cable management also looks tight but I'm sure I can survive that. I am concerned about the tempered glass side panel. Looks breakable but I imagine padding around it when transporting it should protect it.

The case would (ideally) be small enough to fit into a carry-on suitcase. This would allow me to hold it myself and make sure it isn't yeeted onto a conveyor. I think that case could fit into a carry-on though. The space for a 240mm radiator and full-size GPU is a big bonus.

Although I have noticed that their product page says "Graphics Card up to 330mm" which I imagine is the length when you ignore a radiator.My GPU is an MSI 980ti Armor 2x whatever edition, and I cannot for the life of me find any mention of the dimensions of this thing, and I can't find my tape measure. Do you think it would still fit, even with 2 fans and a radiator?

43 minutes ago, SlackAssassin said:

My GPU is an MSI 980ti Armor 2x whatever edition, and I cannot for the life of me find any mention of the dimensions of this thing

;)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127902

Card Dimensions (L x H)
10.91" x 5.31"
277mm x 135mm

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 hours ago, SlackAssassin said:

Haha, thanks, apparently I don't know how to use a website either

official spec page from MSI: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-980-Ti-6GD5T-OC/Specification

image.png.e4365fe5ca9a44787613610ab604d35a.png

length is 277mm

regarding the TG panel, I too am not sure how one would secure it during travel.

It's just a "clip-on" panel so it might get disloged during travel. ahaha

Karamo

Spoiler

On 2/19/2018 at 5:54 PM, Theguywhobea said:

I don't think it's that bad, I know Tek Syndicate did a build in this case a few years ago.

That's the TU100 in the video. Much smaller than the 200.