How do you tell if this case needs a low profile card or not?

VG Docs
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

measure the bracket, if its more than 10cm wide, thats a normal slot, if its 5-ish cm that's a half height / low profile slot.

or... just look at it and it instantly makes sense which of the two it is.

that said, this doesnt make any statement about internal room in the case, and potential power delivery and cooling capabilities.

EDIT: also, LOL @ that best buy price.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4808734349675151089?q=hp pavilion desktop 510-p024&oq=hp pavilion desktop 510-p024

Friend of mine has that and wants a new graphics card, does he need a low profile one or will a small full sized card work? How do you tell?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Just now, Hip said:

Your link doesnt work

it does for me

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

the PC is an HP Pavilion 510-p024

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

You =/ usimage.png.25fa69629688c748c6051e9e0c5f1441.png

image.png.65828c1706386e9ecd70df9bfcfce593.png

That's what I get ^

besides, doesn't really matter once you get the model number.

measure the bracket, if its more than 10cm wide, thats a normal slot, if its 5-ish cm that's a half height / low profile slot.

that said, this doesnt make any statement about internal room in the case, and potential power delivery and cooling capabilities.

EDIT: also, LOL @ that best buy price.

Just now, manikyath said:

By bracket, what specifically are you referring to?

1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

By bracket, what specifically are you referring to?

the bracket:

Image result for pcie bracket

low profile bracket and full size bracket.

Just now, manikyath said:

-Snip-

What if it doesn't have a graphics card?

Just now, Trogdor8freebird said:

your case has a cover bracket in it to close off the hole, or at least a hole to fit the card into.

13 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

We have one of those at my AV job for my church. It looked to me to be a full height system, but the PSU isn’t going to run a good GPU. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I'd then guess that your motherboard doesn't have a PCI-E slot to put the motherboard in. That's usually how pre-builts do it.

As shown in this video, there is a dual-slot rear-IO cover - yet since it's not being used in that situation, Dell decided to go with a motherboard that didn't support it (because it wasn't needed).

So you'd most likely have to buy a new motherboard too.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

I'd then guess that your motherboard doesn't have a PCI-E slot to put the motherboard in. That's usually how pre-builts do it.

It does have one, that's one of the first things I checked.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

It does have one, that's one of the first things I checked.

Alright - that's a good (and unexpected) thing for your pre-built.

Regardless, you will have compatibility for a dual-slot, full height GPU; however, I'd really doubt you have compatibility for full length. From what I can tell, that's a mITX board - so you'd have around (6.9in/175mm) for a PCI-E card until you hit the 3.5" HDD mounts. I'd measure it yourself to confirm the length before you buy a card (that may not fit).

Of course, you could always use a Dremel or snips to cut it out, but some people aren't comfortable doing that.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

-snip-

Understood, already had all that stuff covered beforehand. There's a reason why I ONLY asked about low profile vs. standard. Thanks for trying to help anyway. :)

3 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Understood, already had all that stuff covered beforehand. There's a reason why I ONLY asked about low profile vs. standard. Thanks for trying to help anyway. :)

inverted motherboard, full slot pcie. Weird place to have the ATX cable, may conflict with 2 slot cards. Case has a full slot pcie.

Hamar motherboard top view