Need help picking a monitor

TheBaconDealer

Hey y'all! So I need help picking a new monitor. I play games and that's my main need when it comes to this. However I'm not a competitive player and tend to go for games like skyrim, and I'm more into the game wowing me visually. I've been looking at 27" displays, but I'm also on a budget, so I can't go spending 500 dollars as much as I'd like to. I have a GTX 1070 and I've decided that G-Sync isn't necessary because I've never noticed any tearing before (right now I'm using an AOC 2436vh 24") I know that IPS is better for color but are more expensive, while TN displays are generally considered better for gaming. I've been looking at tons of different displays and just can't decide what the best one would be for me, especially because I want to make sure I'm getting a quality product. Any advice on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, TheBaconDealer said:

Hey y'all! So I need help picking a new monitor. I play games and that's my main need when it comes to this. However I'm not a competitive player and tend to go for games like skyrim, and I'm more into the game wowing me visually. I've been looking at 27" displays, but I'm also on a budget, so I can't go spending 500 dollars as much as I'd like to. I have a GTX 1070 and I've decided that G-Sync isn't necessary because I've never noticed any tearing before (right now I'm using an AOC 2436vh 24") I know that IPS is better for color but are more expensive, while TN displays are generally considered better for gaming. I've been looking at tons of different displays and just can't decide what the best one would be for me, especially because I want to make sure I'm getting a quality product. Any advice on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. 

Step 1: You said that you're on a budget. What is that budget?

Step 2: I have two 27" monitors. They're huge. Just making sure you know that.

Step 3: If you do not play too many FPS games, and like visual quality, a 24", 1440p, 60Hz, IPS display would really impress.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

16 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Step 1: You said that you're on a budget. What is that budget?

Step 2: I have two 27" monitors. They're huge. Just making sure you know that.

Step 3: If you do not play too many FPS games, and like visual quality, a 24", 1440p, 60Hz, IPS display would really impress.

Thanks! I'm well aware of the size and I'm confidant that it's something i want for various reasons. My budget is anywhere under 500 although under 400 would be great. In regards to refresh rate, I know i could get away with 60 but games are something I put a fair amount of time into and I want to make sure that I'm getting the best experience possible for my buck. I do plan on continuing to upgrade in the future but for now, this is where I'm at. Are there any specific models you'd recommend?

1 minute ago, TheBaconDealer said:

Thanks! I'm well aware of the size and I'm confidant that it's something i want for various reasons. My budget is anywhere under 500 although under 400 would be great. In regards to refresh rate, I know i could get away with 60 but games are something I put a fair amount of time into and I want to make sure that I'm getting the best experience possible for my buck. I do plan on continuing to upgrade in the future but for now, this is where I'm at. Are there any specific models you'd recommend?

America? Europe? Its a give and take world. 1080p will not look at good at 27", its just the way pixel density works. But 27", IPS, high refresh rate, and 1440p will be out of your budget (probably). I have an MQ279Q (which has all of the features mentioned previously), which I got open-box and it's great, but you need to prioritize what you want most. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Check this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=100,240&sort=a8&page=1

Select one with a response time you like, whatever price you like, and whatever brightness you like. You can also select IPS from the side if you want. I don't recommend you buy a monitor with a TN panel, colours get very washed out if you move your head even a bit for some monitors. 

Here's the one I recommend, even though it's over your budget. Asus is a reputable brand and this monitor has a good response time, refresh rate, it's IPS, and 1440p: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones