2 Different GPU's for 2 monitors?

13CA350

I'm going to be moving soon and will finally be able to upgrade to a dual monitor setup. I have a GTX 1060 3GB right now, but I still have my perfectly functional 650TI 3GB sitting in a box. Can I use the 1060 for the primary monitor, and the 650 for my second monitor?

For productivity I will use both monitors, but when gaming I'll only use one, and probably have Spotify or something like that up on the second. 

Will this work? I will have 2 identical 25" 1440P monitors from Asus that have both HDMI and displayport. I remember a few years ago seeing a graphic from Nvidea showing you which ports to use on which cards for 2, 3 and 4 monitor setups... Is this still true? If so, where will I find what ports to use?

Why? You'd just be wasting power to use the other monitor. Modern GPUs like your 1060 can run many displays. Even older GPUs, like my Radeon HD 3450 can drive multiple 1080p or higher (not a limitation for you since you have a newer card) displays. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

At this point it's pretty much plug and play. I don't think it matters which port on which card you use.

just plug the second display into your GTX1060 as well, there's no measurable difference.

if you want to make the 650Ti useful, it'll do you more good as a desk ornament.

11 minutes ago, 13CA350 said:

Nvidea showing you which ports to use on which cards for 2, 3 and 4 monitor setups... Is this still true? If so, where will I find what ports to use?

I think that was mostly concerning nvidia surround configs with SLi.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It seems like graphics cards have changed a lot since I payed much attention to them. thanks guys!

In Windows Vista+ using more than one GPU to drive monitors REDUCES performance.

In XP the OS would use each GPU to draw its own screen.  There would only be framebuffer copying if a window spanned two GPUs outputs.  You could observe this in the old days as reduced performance if a 3D app was resized to display on two monitors.

In Vista and above, because the UI is all Direct X, everything is drawn on one card and copied to the others.  NV surround is a way around this, but it requires a SLI setup.  GTX 1060 does not support SLI.