Should I be worried?

Have just installed the Boinc Client on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). When the client runs it of course forces the CPU to 100% and the fans are kicking in, which is fine and excepted.

Now my question is should I be worried that my Mac runs with the fans on all night? Can it harm my CPU/system or am I just a Paranoid Newbie?  

Kind Regards

Nicki

Just now, Nicki said:

Have just installed the Boinc Client on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). When the client runs it of course forces the CPU to 100% and the fans are kicking in, which is fine and excepted.

Now my question is should I be worried that my Mac runs with the fans on all night? Can it harm my CPU/system or am I just a Paranoid Newbie?  

Kind Regards

Nicki

Check your temps while it is running.  If your CPU is sitting over 80 degrees I would either back the number of cores you are using down or increase the fan speed.

I wouldn’t run a laptop at full load like that for extended periods of time. Their cooling solutions aren’t designed for that. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I wouldn’t run a laptop at full load like that for extended periods of time. Their cooling solutions aren’t designed for that. 

I agree, but at the same time i also run my Lenovo Ideapad 700 with both CPU and GPU 24/7 so I can't criticize :D

Although its temps are much lower than the mac's probably will be

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

just so you know, laptop fans accumulate shit a LOT faster when running at higher speeds (I used to clean up my laptops fan every MONTH back when I was also participating in boinc projects)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

just so you know, laptop fans accumulate shit a LOT faster when running at higher speeds (I used to clean up my laptops fan every MONTH back when I was also participating in boinc projects)

Speaking of which, any tips for laptop cleaning? I need to clean my laptop, but I don't know how to do it safely.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 hours ago, bellabichon said:

Speaking of which, any tips for laptop cleaning? I need to clean my laptop, but I don't know how to do it safely.

Sometimes you can get by with just spraying compressed air through the vents and that may be enough.  The PS3 had a cleaning feature where it would ramp is fans up to full for like 10 seconds or so to try and clean itself since it was a pain to take a part.  You should look up a tear down/cleaning guide for your laptop or one that's similar before you crack it open to make sure there aren't any hidden clips that may break.  Other than that I think it's just normal electronic rules like don't shock it or anything like that.

As stated by others, just be mindful of the temps on the CPU.  Also, you can set BOINC to use less than 100% of the CPU and cycle times.  I usually set mine around 80-85% so the CPU can still handle other tasks without hanging up the system.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU