Blue Screen Cold Boot, Works fine otherwise

TubTruck

Strange issue with my PC that's seemingly popped up out of nowhere, I'm getting a blue screen on startup every single time but only if the PC was completely off, booting from BIOS or a restart results in a perfectly normal boot. The PC is also fully usable as soon as it's booted, not encountered any error of any kind once it's on.

The error I'm getting is "Page fault in non paged area" and from what I can tell is either caused by faulty RAM or conflicting drivers. My RAM seems to be fine as it passes Memtest 86 and the windows memory checker with no faults so I think it may be a driver but I'm unsure.

My dump files just say it's caused by ntoskrnl.exe which from what I can tell is the OS kernel. I reinstalled windows and it went away for about 3 days and now all of a sudden it's back. Is there anyway I can get rid of this for good?

6 minutes ago, TubTruck said:

Strange issue with my PC that's seemingly popped up out of nowhere, I'm getting a blue screen on startup every single time but only if the PC was completely off, booting from BIOS or a restart results in a perfectly normal boot. The PC is also fully usable as soon as it's booted, not encountered any error of any kind once it's on.

The error I'm getting is "Page fault in non paged area" and from what I can tell is either caused by faulty RAM or conflicting drivers. My RAM seems to be fine as it passes Memtest 86 and the windows memory checker with no faults so I think it may be a driver but I'm unsure.

My dump files just say it's caused by ntoskrnl.exe which from what I can tell is the OS kernel. I reinstalled windows and it went away for about 3 days and now all of a sudden it's back. Is there anyway I can get rid of this for good?

Updated any drivers recently? It might not be a bad idea to completely do away with virtual memory if you have a lot of RAM.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Updated any drivers recently? It might not be a bad idea to completely do away with virtual memory if you have a lot of RAM.

Can't say I've done anything other than just update the Nvidia drivers to be honest. 

Also sorry for stupid question, Is virtual memory the same as page file? Never heard it called virtual memory before. I have 16gb of RAM, would you say that's enough to do away with it?

4 minutes ago, TubTruck said:

Can't say I've done anything other than just update the Nvidia drivers to be honest. 

Also sorry for stupid question, Is virtual memory the same as page file? Never heard it called virtual memory before. I have 16gb of RAM, would you say that's enough to do away with it?

Basically the page file is the file on a local drive that Windows will use virtual memory so the two terms are linked. If you always have a few gigs free even when you're going ham on the system, it should be fine. People do warn against removing the page file because as you run out of memory and Windows doesn't have anywhere to offload some of that excess, the system can crash. But as long as you are able to work within those 16GB as I do, you should be fine. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

What is your hardware and software configuration?

Sorry, should have included this originally 

MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC

Intel 8700K 

16GB GSkill RAM

GTX 1080Ti 

Corsair H100i GTX CPU Cooler

256GB Liteon SSD

4TB Toshiba Mechanical Drive

• 4 months later...

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I'm scratching my head on the same exact issue. Have gone as far as manually testing my PSU with a DMM to check power rails are stable, updated firmware/drivers on everything, etc. Hoping my motherboard isn't cactus.