Is it safe to buy used ram?

Gunn

I need to buy new ram and the prices are too high.I thought to buy used.But i don't know if it affects performance to buy it used

As long as the seller is trusted or you can see it working if buying privately, and long as condition is good then yes it is absolutely fine. RAM is a freaking rip off so go for it. I did.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Ask owner to run some memtest first 

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

yes. I've dug RAM out of bins at the recycling center sitting in piles on top of eachother and it still works. 

A friend of mine uses 48 GB of Ram from recycling centers. But there are some cases where viruses can even attack the Ram. And once this happens you should rather throw it away.

1 minute ago, Hip said:

A friend of mine uses 48 GB of Ram from recycling centers. But there are some cases where viruses can even attack the Ram. And once this happens you should rather throw it away.

Isn't RAM Volatile ? Even if it had AIDS it would not have it anymore after power loss

2 minutes ago, Hip said:

What? That isn't true at all. RAM is volatile. RAM, on a hardware level, is incapable of holding data when deactivated. A virus can't stay in RAM.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If RAM forgets everything when the computer shuts down, what is the RAMs default gender? :P

source.gif

Hmmmmmmmmm

11 minutes ago, Armakar said:

What? That isn't true at all. RAM is volatile. RAM, on a hardware level, is incapable of holding data when deactivated. A virus can't stay in RAM.

Just google it. I know that the Ram flashes it's memory when restarting. But there are viruses that can attack it too.

14 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Viruses can attack the ram...

Okay that's true, but RAM is known as DYNAMIC random access memory. Meaning even if a virus got to your RAM, the virus would be wiped when the computer is shut down. 

That honestly sounds like fear mongering made up by manufacturers to get you to buy new RAM. 

Didn't know that. I thought you can infect your own data with it then.

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

Just google it. I know that the Ram flashes it's memory when restarting. But there are viruses that can attack it too.

No, there aren't, If RAM is capable of holding any data, it's randomised and irrelevant and would rely on completely outwards factors like the temperature. If you think a virus can retain inside memory alone, you have no clue how RAM works on a scientific level.

Viruses might be able to latch onto RAM if they flash themselves to something like a UEFI, sure. But onto a stick of ram thrown into a garbage bin? That's absurd.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Put it this way - I went to a scrapyard and got a bucket of DDR2 and all of it works. So yeah, probably

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Ram is one of the components that is safe to buy used, you should be fine.