How to Run My Computer through HDMI Cable to TV in another Room

CRA5HMAN
Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

It's probably extending the monitors instead of duplicating them.

right click on the desktop, click display settings, and change the 2nd monitor to duplicate display instead of extend or anything else.

However, you may want to keep them extended, and just drag the video over to the TV.

Hello,

I am trying to run my computer to a TV in my workout room so I can watch YouTube videos while I workout.  I have physically run an HDMI cable from my video card to the TV and all it does is display my desktop background, there is no shortcuts, taskbar etc.  I am assuming the issue lies with the different resolutions, but I lack experience with this and wondering if I can get some assistance?  The relevant specifications and below:

Main Monitor: Acer XB271HU running at 1440p

TV (that I am trying to run the feed to): Lg 32" 1360 x 768 resolution

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC (Geforce experience and latest drivers installed)

Cheers!

Edited by CRA5HMAN
Grammatical

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B

It's probably extending the monitors instead of duplicating them.

right click on the desktop, click display settings, and change the 2nd monitor to duplicate display instead of extend or anything else.

However, you may want to keep them extended, and just drag the video over to the TV.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Thanks RadiatingLight, The duplicate display option worked, but changed the resolution ( which is OK).  I also tried the dragging the video over option, but wasn't able to drag it back. Are there any commands to drag it back or move between monitors?  Sorry if this is  obvious, but I really have no experience with this. 

Thanks!

P.S.  The TV is in another room so I am unable to see it while at my computer.

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B

Windows 7 doesn't display a taskbar on secondary monitors. Just a desktop background is exactly what you are supposed to see. Just drag a Window from your main monitor over to the secondary and it will work just fine. It will be a bit awkward without being able to see both screens, but it should work.

3 hours ago, CRA5HMAN said:

Hello,

I am trying to run my computer to a TV in my workout room so I can watch YouTube videos while I workout.  I have physically run an HDMI cable from my video card to the TV and all it does is display my desktop background, there is no shortcuts, taskbar etc.  I am assuming the issue lies with the different resolutions, but I lack experience with this and wondering if I can get some assistance?  The relevant specifications and below:

Main Monitor: Acer XB271HU running at 1440p

TV (that I am trying to run the feed to): Lg 32" 1360 x 768 resolution

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC (Geforce experience and latest drivers installed)

Cheers!

Controlling this is going to be annoying, at best.

Have you considered picking up a cheap streaming box for the TV? Basically any of the Roku, Android TV, Apple TV, WD Live TV (heh, if you can find one), Amazon Fire TV, ChromeCast, etc, would all work great for this. Even something like a Raspberry Pi would likely be totally fine.

Running an HDMI cable, as you tried, can work. You'll want to Duplicate displays instead of extending the desktop. Controlling the video is going to be problematic - but largely depends on how far away your computer is. A good wireless keyboard/mouse might work, if the distances aren't too far. But having something local to control w/ a remote or kb/m would be better.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)