ZOTAC 1080Ti AMP Extreme causes game crashes unless underclocked

BelviGER

Hey guys,

I have a rig that has a Xeon 2650 v4, 64gb ram, and a zotac 1080ti amp extreme.

Through the bank, in basically any 3d game, I get either issues (game super glitchy) or it straight up crashes the games either at set intervals or random points.

The issue persists from Minecraft, over far cry 2, up to Vive games (which crashes all vr programs and is very disorientating) and is not tied to load.

Under all circumstances windows has now issues and I can just restart the programs.

What I have found is that by lowering the GPU clock speed 200-400 MHz I can entirely eliminate all problems I see. The card was never overclocked, just like every other part in the PC isn't overclocked. The GPU is seated correctly, the PSU can deliver like 1000 or 1200 watt, so there should be no issue there either, the driver is up to date and the issue has persisted for several updates...

I'm running out of idea. Do you guys have any clue? Is it a known thing that zotac delivers their cards way overclocked?

Or could I have a faulty card?

Hope anybody has an idea and can help me out.

So you lower the clockspeed from the factory clockspeed? You didnt overclock it yourself further? If thats the case, send it back.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

What kind of temperatures are you seeing on the GPU under load? (Before and after underclock).  Maybe it's also possible you have a bad cable from the PSU? Try swapping to a different cable from the GPU to PSU? Otherwise if temperatures are low under normal clock then it's probably time for an RMA if available.

41 minutes ago, bfairs said:

What kind of temperatures are you seeing on the GPU under load? (Before and after underclock).  Maybe it's also possible you have a bad cable from the PSU? Try swapping to a different cable from the GPU to PSU? Otherwise if temperatures are low under normal clock then it's probably time for an RMA if available.

The fan doesn't ramp up so temps should be below 75°C at all times, I'd have to check the exact fan map though.

And unfortunately in some games it always crashed at the exact same moment, no matter what happened in the background/temp wise

For instance in Minecraft it always crashed when all the chunks initially loaded, no matter if it was after a cold boot, or if I was running a benchmark in the background.

I like the cable idea, will try it first thing tomorrow. 

RMA would suck but as a last resort I'll definitely do it. I'm mainly annoyed as I was planning on transplanting this GPU to a new "compact" vr rig instead of a full size tower with a low clocked Xeon

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

So you lower the clockspeed from the factory clockspeed? You didnt overclock it yourself further? If thats the case, send it back.

Yup, I go into firestorm, it is always on default upon boot up, and I just crank the slider all the way down (400 MHz)

The only thing I could think about is that zotac might have put a factory overclock on it that makes the card unstable - which probably means RMA as well though

3 minutes ago, BelviGER said:

Yup, I go into firestorm, it is always on default upon boot up, and I just crank the slider all the way down (400 MHz)

The only thing I could think about is that zotac might have put a factory overclock on it that makes the card unstable - which probably means RMA as well though

Dont take any chances. Send it back and get a new one. If you didnt mess with the Card, it is their fault.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO