Advise on choosing the best budget monitor

PlayingDvck
Go to solution Solved by Legeis,
2 hours ago, PlayingDvck said:

For example, While I play Dragon Ball Xenoverse,  Whenever my character is walking through tiles,  The lines (on tiles)  is flickering (I don't know the exact term) , I wish I could record it or something.

This is a rendering problem it has nothing to do with your monitor. I can mean you computer is having trouble rendering the game or it could just be a graphics setting needs to be changed. Either way an upgraded monitor won't fix this.

Hi! I’m new hear at Linus tech tips. I think this is the right place to ask for advice on choosing the right monitor with limited budget and pc specs.

I am using a normal 18.5”” BenQ monitor, and I notice flickering whenever I play games (Dragon Ball Xenoverse, NFS Most Wanted, Crysis 2)

My PC is kinda low end though, but I am sure this is not about my system specs. My PC specs: Intel pentium G2020 IvyBridge, 2x2GB GSKILL RipJaws, Asus GT 1030 OC 2GB GDDR5, and Patriot SSD. 

Since I am planning to upgrade my Monitor, I dont know what to pick, Do I need 1ms response time to avoid flickering while playing games. Does 60hz enough? 

What I have in mind is 24”” Zowie from BenQ, As I have limited budget. 

Thank you so much for checking this out! 

Game on! Peace up.

You might want to describe your problem better as whatever monitor you're using now is going to be at least 60hz and shouldn't flicker at all. I'd sooner expect the machine to cause the flickering.

Oh, Yeah, I forgot, I am currently using BenQ GL955A - LED monitor - 18.5. Native Resolution 1366 x 768.

Game on! Peace up.

For example, While I play Dragon Ball Xenoverse,  Whenever my character is walking through tiles,  The lines (on tiles)  is flickering (I don't know the exact term) , I wish I could record it or something.

Game on! Peace up.

You might want to plug your PC into another monitor before you assume thats the cause of the problem.

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

2 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

You might want to plug your PC into another monitor before you assume thats the cause of the problem.

I'll try this one, thank you. (I apologize for being such a newbie for assuming the monitor was the problem.)

Game on! Peace up.

16 minutes ago, PlayingDvck said:

Whenever my character is walking through tiles,  The lines (on tiles)  is flickering

Yea that would indicate a problem with the game or machine not the monitor

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yea that would indicate a problem with the game or machine not the monitor

Might need a major PC upgrade :(

Game on! Peace up.

2 hours ago, PlayingDvck said:

This is a rendering problem it has nothing to do with your monitor. I can mean you computer is having trouble rendering the game or it could just be a graphics setting needs to be changed. Either way an upgraded monitor won't fix this.

My RIG:

I7 6700k - GTX 1080 -  32GB Ram - 256GB 950 Pro(boot) + 1TB 850 EVO(Programs) + 4TB 860 EVO(Games) + 1TB WD Black (Files)

1 minute ago, Legeis said:

Thanks :) guess I still need to upgrade my monitor for better experience though, as well as PC specs.

Game on! Peace up.

2 minutes ago, PlayingDvck said:

Thanks :) guess I still need to upgrade my monitor for better experience though, as well as PC specs.

have you tried tweaking your 3D settings in you Nvidia/AMD control panel or checking for a driver update? Its very possible that could help with the problem you described.

I once set my PCs graphics settings to force best quality and ended up having a similar problem in a game that would run on a 10year old potato. It turns out my low res game I was playing did not like being forced to run at higher setting and it was causing me to be able to see the mesh. So simply changing my settings back to let the 3D application decide fixed it. 

My RIG:

I7 6700k - GTX 1080 -  32GB Ram - 256GB 950 Pro(boot) + 1TB 850 EVO(Programs) + 4TB 860 EVO(Games) + 1TB WD Black (Files)

3 minutes ago, Legeis said:

have you tried tweaking your 3D settings in you Nvidia/AMD control panel or checking for a driver update? Its very possible that could help with the problem you described.

I once set my PCs graphics settings to force best quality and ended up having a similar problem in a game that would run on a 10year old potato. It turns out my low res game I was playing did not like being forced to run at higher setting and it was causing me to be able to see the mesh. So simply changing my settings back to let the 3D application decide fixed it. 

I'll try this one! :D

Game on! Peace up.

I've built several systems for different people, and I usually try to go with a monitor that is 1080p with an HDMI input and a response time of 5ms and below. You should be able to find quite a few with those specs on pcpartpicker for around $100USD.

2 hours ago, Ωhmbreon said:

I've built several systems for different people, and I usually try to go with a monitor that is 1080p with an HDMI input and a response time of 5ms and below. You should be able to find quite a few with those specs on pcpartpicker for around $100USD.

Thanks Man.

Game on! Peace up.

I manage to take a screenshot of the issue I am referring to (I am unable to do it earlier cause I am on duty :ph34r:.)

As we can see on both image, take closer look at the lines (from tiles and stairs), we can see some *I don't know whats the right term o.O, but when the character moves/walk/run, it is like flickering. 

Sample.png

Sample 2.png

Game on! Peace up.

7 hours ago, PlayingDvck said:

I manage to take a screenshot of the issue I am referring to (I am unable to do it earlier cause I am on duty :ph34r:.)

As we can see on both image, take closer look at the lines (from tiles and stairs), we can see some *I don't know whats the right term o.O, but when the character moves/walk/run, it is like flickering. imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8

Sample.png

Sample 2.png

looks like very low Anti Aliasing settings. Try turning everything down in the graphics apart from AA or FXAA or MSAA or whatever you have in these games. Try run these as high as possible for the sake of testing. This will effect FPS quite a lot  but will rule that out at least. 

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

2 hours ago, HOOTSMON said:

looks like very low Anti Aliasing settings. Try turning everything down in the graphics apart from AA or FXAA or MSAA or whatever you have in these games. Try run these as high as possible for the sake of testing. This will effect FPS quite a lot  but will rule that out at least. 

Thanks, will try this out. ;)

Game on! Peace up.