How do I keep a laptop cool and how do i maintain its battery?

CoolMarquis97

How can I keep a laptop cool and stop it from overheating? When putting this one on my lap it is extremely hot and would like to buy a nice fan that would allow me to use it on my lap while also keeping it cool. Are there any good recommendations for laptop coolers? Also how should I go about trying to preserve the life of my battery as this one says it should last 3 hours but dies in like 1 hour. If I was to buy a new battery, how should I go about trying to keep my battery life as it possible is?

Thanks for the help!

Hmm Im not sure I know how to keep it cool (aside from putting a bag of frozen peas on your lap) but as for maintaining it, you're supposed to fully drain and fully charge your battery around once a week, I try to do this with my phone :)

People debate over the way to best keep it happy. Personally I make sure it's drained atleast twice a month. I've had my iPhone 4 for 3 years and It's still happy. Same with my new Macbook battery - 2 years and that's been happy. The first battery I had for that died within 6 months or so because I didn't drain it.

I like to physically look at laptop chassis before buying ! I'm looking at the panel covers, if there easy access to the fan and heatsink for cleaning. make sure you use a book or a board when using it on your lap or if your in bed ect, gives the laptop room for venting and the fan or fans. Battery is just draining it as windspeed mentioned. I just leave mine out till i need it because you end up doing regular recharging for the sake of 10 mins of battery use, which isn't good for the battery ! my laptop plugged into the mains most of the time any way.

How can I keep a laptop cool and stop it from overheating? When putting this one on my lap it is extremely hot and would like to buy a nice fan that would allow me to use it on my lap while also keeping it cool. Are there any good recommendations for laptop coolers? Also how should I go about trying to preserve the life of my battery as this one says it should last 3 hours but dies in like 1 hour. If I was to buy a new battery' date=' how should I go about trying to keep my battery life as it possible is? Thanks for the help! [/quote']

if your laptop is overheating, you are permanently reducing/damaging its battery capacity.

I suggest you clean/ dust of the heatsink and cpu fan inside your laptop then you buy a laptop cooler.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

It is never a good idea to drain your battery down, everytime you drain a lithium battery down below 70% of the battery's capacity the battery's capacity is lowered.

The draining idea is because older NI-MH NI-CD batteries would form a "memory" of being discharged partially all the time. What is more damaging to lithium-ion/lithium-polymer batteries ie. the new ones, is actually draining them all the way. Lithium-ion batteries are rated for about 200 recharge cycles, and lithium-polymer batteries are rated for about 500 recharge cycles. The reason iPhone/Macbook batteries last longer is that they have been using lithium-polymer batteries.

The draining idea is because older NI-MH NI-CD batteries would form a "memory" of being discharged partially all the time. What is more damaging to lithium-ion/lithium-polymer batteries ie. the new ones, is actually draining them all the way. Lithium-ion batteries are rated for about 200 recharge cycles, and lithium-polymer batteries are rated for about 500 recharge cycles. The reason iPhone/Macbook batteries last longer is that they have been using lithium-polymer batteries.
I forgot to say that the amount of recharge cycles I said are the amount it takes the battery to loose 50% capacity.

Use a laptop on a flat surface so that it can intake air.

If it's on your lap you'll block the vents.

I know..it kinda defeats the purpose of a "LAPtop"